Going for drinks w/ friends tomorrow...Can I stay within my

Options
Tomorrow's my friend's b-day and it looks like we will be going out for drinks. How can I have 2-3 drinks and keep it at the lowest amount of calories? With my current goal, I absolutely do not want to go over my caloric limit (1200). Can anyone offer some helpful/informed alcohol-advice?

Not to mention, if there's cake I will have the HARDEST time limiting myself. I'm wondering if I would feel impolite or embarrassed to refuse having any.

Replies

• pknanne
    pknanne Posts: 9
    Options
    Most bars or restaurants will make you some form of a "skinny drink". Skinny Girl Margaritas are very popular, but I also like coconut rum with diet sprite or even regular sprite. Be sure to drink water between drinks it will help to keep you hydrated.
  • Just do one or two shots of whiskey. make sure to have it on the rocks and drink lots of water.And NO it is NOT impolite to refuse cake. Just say you don't want any. No thank you. I Just ate. I don't like that flavour. I can't eat that icing. Say something. Drinks are packed enough with calories. Eating cake is not necessary to add more--plus it's not your birthday, why eat cake?
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with just not thinking about the calories tomorrow and just ENJOY yourself. Your diet should never control you to the point of guessing on drinks or excluding yourself from social activities on account of a silly number. The whole point of being healthy and active is to be more comfortable and willing to be in those situations. Assuming drinking and cake isn't an every day thing, just go out and enjoy the evening. The scale will even out after a couple days and the body actually benefits from spike days more than you'd think. Have fun!
  • ParisArkw
    ParisArkw Posts: 186
    Options
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with just not thinking about the calories tomorrow and just ENJOY yourself. Your diet should never control you to the point of guessing on drinks or excluding yourself from social activities on account of a silly number. The whole point of being healthy and active is to be more comfortable and willing to be in those situations. Assuming drinking and cake isn't an every day thing, just go out and enjoy the evening. The scale will even out after a couple days and the body actually benefits from spike days more than you'd think. Have fun!
    Your post is actually very heartwarming. Thank you for reminding me to have fun. I will not feel guilty about what drinks I do have tomorrow. However, I've started a challenge in which I dedicated myself to 35 days of sticking to my caloric limit. I chose to do this because so often I lose control of healthy eating and then overeat for up to 1-2 weeks. But in the future, I will definitely give myself a "no worry" day every here and there. And I shan't feel bad about it after reading your post. =)
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Just stay with low cal drinks, no beer or any fruit juices or mixes. Stay with vodka (flavored if you like), gin, whiskey with soda (NOT tonic!!), or diet coke. Have fun!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    If I only had 1200 calories, I would not even touch a drink. Are you kidding? (Actually I'd be crying if I only had 1200 calories).

It is not impolite to refuse a drink. Is it impolite to refuse crack?

Choose what's good for you. What do you REALLY want? 2-3 drinks is nothing but a big fat waste.

2-3 drinks leads a lot of people to 2-3 chicken wings, 2-3 slices of pizza, 2 more drinks, a hershey bar and a headache in the morning.

Gotta get real to get what you want.
  • ParisArkw
    Options
    Just do one or two shots of whiskey. make sure to have it on the rocks and drink lots of water.And NO it is NOT impolite to refuse cake. Just say you don't want any. No thank you. I Just ate. I don't like that flavour. I can't eat that icing. Say something. Drinks are packed enough with calories. Eating cake is not necessary to add more--plus it's not your birthday, why eat cake?
    Thanks for your reply. It's so intense...but it pumps me up to refuse cake! Haha. I won't always starve myself from a piece of cake, but I've basically never refused it before and want to liberate myself by saying 'no' tomorrow.

Whiskey it is. =) Thanks again.
  • ParisArkw
    Options
    Just stay with low cal drinks, no beer or any fruit juices or mixes. Stay with vodka (flavored if you like), gin, whiskey with soda (NOT tonic!!), or diet coke. Have fun!
    Why not tonic? I was under the impression it was one of the healthier options. D: Is soda really better than tonic?
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I usually just do extra miles walking to pay for the drinks. It's all a math game to me.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Diet tonic with a huge slice of lime. I love it.
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    If you do decide to have a drink stay away from the fruity mixed drinks and go for a diet soda with a shot of something mixed in or a light beer. Above all, you DON'T have to have a single drink to celebrate and not feel any need to feel embarassed about not having a drink. Stick to your guns!!!!
  • natacha305
    natacha305 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    i bought this new thing i saw at the liquor store its lowwwww in cals and goes down smooth

it says vodka on it, but everything else is chinese letters.

I think it may be sake. but its def not in the wine section

find it. try it. dont feel guilty.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Why not tonic? I was under the impression it was one of the healthier options. D: Is soda really better than tonic?

Sorry, soda water, not like pepsi or anything. Soda water is the best mixer calorie wise...
  • ParisArkw
    Options

Sorry, soda water, not like pepsi or anything. Soda water is the best mixer calorie wise...
    Ohhh, okayokay. Cool. Thanks!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

Yup, soda is calorie free. Tonic has has 90 calories per cup.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Mojito! You could do something sacrilege and ask for splenda instead of sugar. But the only the sugar syrup and the rum have calories in a mojito. Everything else is negligible. Of you could possible ask for a syrup free mojito and then add some splenda/stevia/whatever your calorie free choice is.
  • FitinFiveMonths
    Options
    personally, i would count that as a cheat day, one night of treating yourself isn't going to make you gain all the weight back. i'd say be extra good tomorrow during the day, get a nice workout in to gain some calories back, and then HAVE A GOOD NIGHT. birthday's only come around once a year, theres no fun if you don't enjoy them! :)

try a skinny girl margarita, a light beer, or a vodka diet sprite, i believe those are all pretty low cal!

Have fun tomorrow!
  • Beewallows
    Beewallows Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Diet coke and rum is the best bet. I would just work out a little before you go just in case.