Put down the pizza!

Options
I found myself doing great job today! I was motivated, I exercised, I was snacking much less, and then it was dinner time. My husband and I had a lazy Sunday, so we decided to order pizza (no problem I had plenty of calories left for the day!) I picked 2 small(er) pieces and they were tastey! Before I really could stop myself I shoveled in a third piece. Why? Do I think I'm still hungry? Did it taste so amazing I just HAD to have MORE of it? Why can't I just enjoy food with moderation? If I knew the answer to that question I guess I wouldn't be where I am now. I'm looking for some advice and some good tips! Do you think gum could help? A freind of mine suggested to start chewing gum after a meal to change the flavors left in your mouth, so you no longer crave more of them. Ugh. Frustrated!

Replies

• atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Pizza is my weakness too, I just choose to stay away from it at all costs, otherwise it ends up being a "bad" day lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Chew your food 40 times with each bite. I know it sounds crazy, but in some cases it works.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • melcasa
    melcasa Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    The worst thing is still being hungry and eating something so packed with kcals in such a small portion! That's due to all of the oils and fats in the product. You might want to try taking a couple slices and then wrapping up the rest of the pizza so it makes it harder to get to. Seems silly but just that little bit of a barrier may make you stop and think about eating more of it! Out of sight, out of mind! Good luck!
  • ParisArkw
    ParisArkw Posts: 186
    Options
    "Why can't I just enjoy food with moderation?"

OH goodness I wish I knew the answer to this!!! Why is it with the tasty foods I sometimes must eat it until I am sick of it? It's so hard to get a hold of.
  • LuciendaB
    Options
    There are a couple things you could try. 1. You could take a walk or do a quick workout, which would bring you back to your goals and why you dont want that 3rd piece of pizza. (Usually this also works because it allows time for your stomach to realize your satisfied). 2. Brush your teeth, you wouldnt want to dirty a clean mouth right? Plus, pizza never tastes that good with mint :D

I have the same problem, and I'm sure alot of people do. I love to eat and I love to over eat, it really is hard to control, but mind over matter right. Maybe make a collage or something of all the things you want to achieve with your fitness, pictures of things you want for yourself, how you would like to look, your magic number. Then look at it when your feeling "weak".

Hope this helps, just know your not alone!
  • leojsivad
    leojsivad Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I can moderate pizza, but get Cheetos around me and it's all over.
  • EBarley0526
    Options
    That's a good idea! Sometimes I find myslef eating less when we have left over night because of that. I don't want to go back in the kitchen, get more food out, and then heat it up again. Harder to get to right awa... the faster I lose the "need' to have it!
  • gregavila
    gregavila Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I am the same way with pizza...just love it, and it's all too easy to eat 4-5 slices.

Why? I don't know...just one of my comfort foods. The only way I get by it is to not have it around all that much. And when I do, it is usually on my planned cheat meal.

You can make homemade pizza that is healthier.
  • EBarley0526
    Options
    You are all awesome! Thank you so much! I LOVE the collage idea! I see a project in my near future! :happy:
  • Lovinglife12
    Options
    Oh I just love pizza! I bought some for my husband and kids on Friday and it took everything in me to not have any! I had my fish and went straight to the gym..lol.
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    Pizza is my weakness too, I just choose to stay away from it at all costs, otherwise it ends up being a "bad" day lol
    This. Me too. I now make myself a HUGE salad and force myself to eat the whole thing before I touch a piece of pizza. Then down a bottle of water right after I have a slice. I inhale my food so I find that chewing slow helps, you get to enjoy it longer and it has time to settle.
  • marylouise123
    marylouise123 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thats funny you post about PIzza.. I just had that last night for dinner after craving it since I started this whole new plan in January.. I did really well.. I worked out extra & planned for the calories & made sure to pack the leftovers for my husbands lunch. Maybe next time just order a smaller one so you know you can only have whatever amount of pieces you need.. I know its hard.. But at least you could have it & not feel deprived - you just have to portion control it.. Good luck girl..
  • xnikkiheart
    Options
    I'm the same way but I've figured out if I savor each bite, I'm not as hungry. It's stupid and silly and so old school, I know, but it works. Also, putting the rest away and laying it out on a plate helps me visualize that there's more food and it fills the plate so it should fill my stomach.
    If I'm still hungry, I do the gum thing. I get ones that have long flavors, like 5 Gum, and when the flavor's gone, if I'm still hungry, I'll look for a healthier snack (but I'm usually not). I also do the water thing. Your body confuses dehydration and hunger. Essentially if you feel hungry, drink a glass of water and wait a few minutes, if you're still hungry after say 10min, then grab a healthy snack. If you're still hungry after a handful of carrots or whatever you want, then maybe it's time for a full meal.
  • coryp12
    coryp12 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Don't put down the pizza, just make the pizza better for you! 392 calorie pizza and salad combo that is awesome when out of the pizza oven!!

Pizza:

Flatout - Flatbread Light Italian Herb, 1 flatbread

Sliced Pepperoncini, 0.54 oz.

Crystal Farms - Finely Shredded Cheddar Cheese, 0.34 c

Great Value Black Olives Sliced 1 Tbsp

Hormel - Canadian Style Bacon Pizza Style, 6 Slices

Hormel - Turkey Peperoni, 8 slices

Green Olives W/Pimentos, 6 olives

Contadina - Pizza Squeeze Pizza Sauce, 40g

Salad:

Spring Mix Organic Salad, 40g

Wildtree - Asian Ginger Plum Dressing, 15g
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    When I eat pizza I still feel hungry after 2 pieces but if I let it digest for 20 min or so then I feel full...so maybe the chewing 40 times suggestion would work. I do my best to eat my pizza slow and take a break in between slices. Pizza's a tough one! It's sooo good, but sooo bad lol
  • krissypea79
    krissypea79 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Pizza is one of my biggest weaknesses. The small town I live in has one of the best pizza places I have ever been to, and when the family orders it, it is tough to resist. I used to eat 3 or 4 slices in a sitting BUT now, what I try to do is to make myself a big salad (not big calorie-wise, just some diced peppers, tomatoes, spring mix, yogurt ranch dressing), drink a big glass of water, and by then, I only really have room for a slice (maybe 2, depending on where I'm at for the day in terms of calories).....now, the hard part is not going back downstairs at midnight for another piece (or 2), which is what the old me would do!!! THAT remains the part that is tough to resist!!! Mmm craving pizza now!! :sad:
  • michaelvhawk
    michaelvhawk Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    This. Me too. I now make myself a HUGE salad and force myself to eat the whole thing before I touch a piece of pizza. Then down a bottle of water right after I have a slice. I inhale my food so I find that chewing slow helps, you get to enjoy it longer and it has time to settle.

This is exactly what I do. If I know I am going to have a piece of pizza, a large salad FIRST is a must! By the time I get to the actual piece of pizza I am usually very satisfied with just 1 piece at the most. This coming from a guy that used to be able to polish off 3/4 of a large without even thinking about it.
  • NataschaMarie333
    NataschaMarie333 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Lean Cuisine has some pretty yummy lower calories pizzas if you're really craving some! Bbq is my fav!
    Lucky for me, I work in a restraunt that serves pizza, and Ive gotten to the point where its just, meehhhh...
    But, working breakfast shifts however...my weakness...French toast! Waffles! BACON! Ugh...