Exercise....where do you start?

Options
I just don't know where to start with exercise. I haven't done so on a regular basis in years. I am recuperating from a knee injury at the moment and want to have a plan of action in place for when my knee is ready to go again.

I am a female that weighs 182 lbs. I don't have a great aerobic capacity and weight training...who knows.

Any suggestions on where to start? I have been doing a lot of research and am more confused than ever!!!

Replies

• gregavila
    gregavila Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I started by going on short walks at moderate pace. Then worked to up the time, distance and walking speed. I then started going to the gym and doing the treadmill and elliptical, and have gotten back into spinning.

If you've been out of exercise for a while, start slow and build from it.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I just don't know where to start with exercise. I haven't done so on a regular basis in years. I am recuperating from a knee injury at the moment and want to have a plan of action in place for when my knee is ready to go again.

I am a female that weighs 182 lbs. I don't have a great aerobic capacity and weight training...who knows.

Any suggestions on where to start? I have been doing a lot of research and am more confused than ever!!!

spin class. anyone can do it, at any fitness level. I walked into my first class 8 years ago after not having worked out in 9 years. It was hard, but I did it. Within 6 mos I became an instructor. I've had knee problems since the age of 11. Degenerative chondromalacia. I have no cartilege left, but cycling is fantastic for the knees. Non impact.

Right now, I am recovering from a torn MCL and the first thing I did (and honestly was chomping at the bit to do) was get back on a spin bike. I did it at 3.5 weeks and it was fantastic. I still can't quite walk right, but I can spin and I am psyched!

Here's the dirt: Go early, ask the instructor to set you up and, bring a water bottle. Commit to 3 classes within 2 weeks and you will be able to do everything. It is amazing how quickly you come up to speed. Do not waste money on bike shorts or a padded seat, that is silly extra laundry. After 3 classes in 2 weeks, your bottom will not need any padding.

EDIT: BTW, the calorie burn rocks. I'm 130 lbs. and I burn 515-585 calories in my 45- minute class. The more you weigh, the more you burn.

blessings.
  • zephyrionitis
    Options
    You start with the first step. Which is the hardest. Find your most comfortable pair of shoes and lace them up. Go for a daily walk around your block, and when that gets easy make it a jog.
    Also, swimming is pretty low-impact. I started doing it and wow! What a calorie torch-er!