Incentives and Motivation

Options
Hey, Guys and Gals -

Just curious what everyone is doing for motivation, if anyone is using incentives, and (if yes) what their incentives are?

I decided to use necklaces as incentives. I wanted something I could wear and keep forever no matter how much weight I lose (so clothes and jewelry like rings and bracelets were out.) I reward myself with one handmade necklace from Etsy for every 10 lbs. I lose. I have 2 so far, and hope to get my 3rd sometime in the next week or two. This has been awesome for several reasons:

1. It makes each necklace incredibly special! The one I'm wearing today was for lbs. 259-250, and I had an extremely hard time losing lbs. 253-250. Every time I look at or touch the necklace I am reminded of how hard that was, and I feel so proud to have overcome that. I know that these will be lifelong keepsakes.

2. It's a physical representation of my loss. I have had a really hard time seeing the changes so far and sometimes that can be extremely discouraging and depressing. I've dropped a couple pants sizes and people tell me I have lost weight, but I just don't see it. I also can't imagine what a 150 lb. me would look like (I haven't weighed that since high school!) I do see those necklaces though and I can easily picture 10 more (my current goal is to lose 120 lbs.) hanging next to them. It keeps me going!

3. On tough days I browse Etsy for awhile, window shop, pick which necklace I want for my next goal, and then jump back on the treadmill.

What are you all doing?

Lindsey

14022182.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• jeccalou
    jeccalou Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yay I love etsy!! I have been a buyer and seller there for years. I too have been trying to figure out a non food reward for reaching my mini goals. Other than the reward of improved health I guess... :wink:
    But I never seem to be able to buy myself non"useful" or plain "frivolous" things. I am a budding metalsmith so I was thinking of maybe a new tool? Or I love handmade soaps so that could be an option. Or a fun accessory for one of my vintage bikes. All useful, (because I am weird like that) but still something I would smile at and enjoy. I love your necklace idea, It will serve as a special and personal collection of your journey.
  • michelleinpa
    michelleinpa Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Spa treatments are my "rewards" - massage or facial every 10 pounds :) maybe a spa week when I hit goal
  • Amazingday
    Amazingday Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I love the necklace idea! My goal is 33lbs away so maybe a necklace would help me with my mini goals. My main goal is a pair of waders to go clamming in. I love to go clamming. I haven't gotten myself a pair of waders because I didn't want to look like a stuffed sausage out there. Odd goal I know, but there it is! :bigsmile:
  • wiltka
    wiltka Posts: 7
    Options
    THAT IS FANTASTIC! I had considered doing the same thing, for the same reasons!
    1. I have a hard time buying things just for myself. So using necklaces as incentives of weight loss was something I thought justified the purchased and something I would be so proud of.
    2. My incentive for every 50 lbs is going to be a trip. Even a road trip- just a few states away- but an adventure that can be done on a car ride with a partner-in-crime to celebrate the achievment!

I hope that helps, good luck on your goals and stay positive! If you have a hard time seeing your progress- try keeping printing out pictures of yourself, labeling your weight at each, so you can see the changes in your weight for each picture. I know for mine, I can see it in my face.
  • zephyrionitis
    Options
    Once I reach my goal weight I'm getting my bellybutton pierced and getting a pretty rad dragon barbell in it. That's my motivation. And for every 10 pounds I lose I go on a mini shopping spree. Usually about $50 or so at some store I like.
  • shaynes14
    shaynes14 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I saw a note where someone said they got a necklace and added beads for each five pounds. She added charms for extra special goals. I loved that Idea so I started one. It's gotten quite full. I gave myself a charm just because I started. I gave myself a other special charm at 25 pounds and 50 pounds. I got a shoe charm after running a 5K and when I run a 10K there will hopefully be another one. I got a ladybug charm for my 50 pound loss. I liked it so much, I put it on a silver chain and have been wearing it by itself. The ladybug looks just like the little one on my ticker! :happy:
  • thisisthatverymab
    Options
    Wow! Thank you all for sharing. These are amazing! : )

Lindsey