HELP for my wife...Ripped in 30 / 30 day shred / Insanity

Options
2»

Replies

• donald149
    donald149 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    There's also a series called Jillian Michaels for Beginners if she has trouble getting into 30ds. Believe it's 2 dvd's.
  • mickyjd
    mickyjd Posts: 97
    Options
    Are those your only choices for starting her off? I've been exercising regularly since Christmas (from not exercising at all) and I'm pretty sure if I started off with 30DS I wouldn't have continued. I found that exercising using a Wii game was more fun and enticing and it slowly got me conditioned to exercising for longer periods of time. It was exercising without feeling like traditional exercise. By the time I decided to try 30DS, it wasn't as intimidating and, as bleeping hard as it was, I felt confident that I could push through.

Might not be a bad idea - we have the wii and all the sports stuff / wii fit etc. I'll run this idea past her too - good thinking :)
  • mickyjd
    Options
    There's also a series called Jillian Michaels for Beginners if she has trouble getting into 30ds. Believe it's 2 dvd's.

I might look that up too - although already have the other DVD's, so we'll see. Thanks mate.
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    ive been overweight a few years i did shred for a week and got bored.. i am now doing a hybrid of the two (but i am one to be really competitive and really push myself) and i actually like the ripped better so far which is good since i did try the shreds week 2 one day and my knees were so NOT having it. if she has been very sedentary for awhile id say shred (it def is easier and i still burn about 60 cals less doing it as opposed to ripped lvl 1) if she gets bored maybe do a hybrid of some sort. :-)
  • cjack19
    cjack19 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I agree that 30DS is a good one - but as an above posted said, some people complain about knee problems - so make sure she has good form.

Also - the first three days are TOUGH...but if she sticks it out it gets better and you feel great :happy:
  • karenx30
    karenx30 Posts: 90
    Options
    30DS would be a good one to start with. Its only about 25 minutes (with warmup and cool down included) and modified guidance too. Tell her if it makes her feel any better, plenty of people, myself included have either barfed after the first workout or were really shaky. I mean tell her after, not before! That might scare the S*** out of her!
  • karenx30
    karenx30 Posts: 90
    Options
    30DS would be a good one to start with. Its only about 25 minutes (with warmup and cool down included) and has modified guidance too. Tell her if it makes her feel any better, plenty of people, myself included have either barfed after the first workout or were really shaky. I mean tell her after, not before! That might scare the S*** out of her!
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I tried 30DS and was bored out of my gourd after 10 days. Couldn't stand it. I applaud everyone who gets through it to the end, but I hated it. Your wife may need to try several different types of videos to determine which she likes best. Finding one she enjoys will help to ensure she continues to workout. Or she may enjoy something totally different, like jogging or spinning. I went through hip-hop dance party, 30DS, sweatin' to the oldies, dancin' with the stars, and tae bo before discovering the joy of Zumba. Now that I'm hooked, I can't imagine not working out.
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I would start with Just Dance for Wii- then move to 30DS then Ripped. Just Dance is fun and if you really try you burn a lot of calories and it doesn't seem like a "workout"
  • mickyjd
    Options
    30DS would be a good one to start with. Its only about 25 minutes (with warmup and cool down included) and modified guidance too. Tell her if it makes her feel any better, plenty of people, myself included have either barfed after the first workout or were really shaky. I mean tell her after, not before! That might scare the S*** out of her!

Lol - yes, I'll wait until after :)
  • 2kidsandadonut
    2kidsandadonut Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are doing 30DS right now. He's in shape and I'm not. We both love it even though afterwards I'm a puddle and he's grabbing a beer (he says hydration, hydration, hydration I figure if he's willing to work out with me when he doesn't have to he's allowed a beer) But as someone with not so great knees I find it works well there are a couple of places that aggravate my knees but I just modify around them. As far as getting bored...there are three work outs and you can level up as needed. We are still on level one because I'd kill him if we move up! But I def. recommend it!
  • Astrowife68
    Options
    Start her with 30 day shred. Then she'll be ready for Ripped. Ripped is much more intense.

I agree with this. I did 30 day shred in Feb and am restarting it once again for March. I do have Ripped and checked it out. But I don't think I am quite ready to start it, so hopefully in April I will be up to it. I am in a group for the March 30DS, your wife maybe interested in joining it and getting some modivation from others in her same boat. :smile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3617-shredding-through-the-month-of-march

Good luck in both of your journies.

14171021.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • seamonkey789
    Options
    I have bad knees and hard wood floors. Even a mat did not help me knees with the jumping stuff (I'm a dancer and used to jumping on suspended floors) What I did for the cardio with the jumping stuff (except the jumping jacks) was do them on a mini trampoline.

Both my knees and hips are shot from dancing and the mini trampoline helped with that
  • zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    do you own a wii? I did the active 1 & 2,
    I did that 1st
    then in order
    then JM 30ds
    then insanity,
    asylum,
    p90x
    back to jm products, love her
    also touched
    killers buns
    6wk 6pack
    extreme shed & shred
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Personally I found 30 DS very boring and very hard on the knees.
  • khallcma1
    Options
    I have the Jillian Michaels shred and found some of the moves to be hard on my knees but she may be able to modify some of the moves. Otherwise it is a great video. I was super sore for 2 days after the first time I used it. I've not be at it long enough to advise on the weight loss. There is a lot of getting down on the floor and back up to your feet quickly in this video.
  • mrscherry1
    Options
    Are those your only choices for starting her off? I've been exercising regularly since Christmas (from not exercising at all) and I'm pretty sure if I started off with 30DS I wouldn't have continued. I found that exercising using a Wii game was more fun and enticing and it slowly got me conditioned to exercising for longer periods of time. It was exercising without feeling like traditional exercise. By the time I decided to try 30DS, it wasn't as intimidating and, as bleeping hard as it was, I felt confident that I could push through.
    I sooooooo agree with this, If I would have just started off with 30 Shred after day one I probably would never have gone back -lol:blushing: , I had been somewhat working out a bit before I did that and after day 1 my legs still felt a little like jello:laugh: !! I would def. try and start her at something a little less intensity to begin with!! (Don't get me wrong I do love 30 shred BUT if she is not use to working out his may scare her)!! Good Luck to her!:drinker:
  • mickyjd
    Options
    Thanks again everyone - all of these posts are very helpful and I appreciate you taking time out of your day to respond.

I'll show my wife this thread and then we'll agree on an action plan - maybe straight in to 30DS or maybe a few weeks on the wii again :)

Best Wishes

Michael
  • heartshines
    heartshines Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Don't expect her to jump right in on what you're doing. Be happy she is doing something. Also..do not compare your progress to hers.
    Why don't you walk with her? This would be good quality time with her. Important part of exercise/weight loss is moving. Then as she loses weight and becomes more conditioned to exercise, she can then ease into something.

Be a super supportive husband!