Cheap gadget for tracking distance/heart rate etc

Options
Hi, I am doing C25K, I have just completed first day of week 4 so I am feeling a bit chuffed. In future weeks/months I want to use some sort of gadget to track distance/heart rate etc. I am definitely a beginner with a capital 'b' so I would want something relatively cheap (as I am also a bit poor too :-)) Can anyone recommend?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Most of the smart phones (iPhone, Android...not sure about CrackBerry) have built in GPS and you can download apps that will track distance & speed.

A heart rate monitor will allow you to keep track of heart rate, calories burned etc. and there are some pretty inexpensive ones out there.

If you want to combine the functions into on gadget then you're looking at something along the lines of a Garmin Forerunner (Timex & Suunto also make them too). Their least expensive models are still very reliable, they just won't have some of the bells & whistles like touch screens etc.
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    It's a long shot, but I've managed to get quite a few great things on freecycle.org! If you aren't already a member, sign up NOW! Advertise for one, you never know, someone may happen to have one laying around that they aren't using and looking to get rid of. :-) Everything is FREE! It doesn't get much cheaper than that ;-)
  • pukekolive
    pukekolive Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    We really like Endomondo for Android and Iphone - see www.endomondo.com - you turn on your GPS in your phone then put the app on while you walk/run and when you stop your workout it automatically sends the data to the website including calorie burn.

It's free and we love it!
  • PeeTeePee
    PeeTeePee Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'll second Endomondo, assuming you have a smartphone!
  • MrsMuffinRun
    Options
    lol no I am probaby the only sad person left who doesn't have an iphone or smart phone. My hub has one for work, but I'm worried I'll get mugged for it! Any other suggestions?
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    HRM! Polar FT4 seems to be the most recommended & cheapest (best value for money) I have the FT60 and its fab for logging calories burned (and more accurate than an app) x
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Are you in the UK?!

You could check this out...

http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/lloydspharmacy-watch-and-heart-rate-monitor-35281

It does everything a Polar can do at a fraction of the price!

The only thing a HRM can't do is track your distance, you would need something with GPS built in to do that and they are more expensive.

Happy shopping! :-)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you get what you pay for with an HRM.. and Cheap does not get you far. I suggest saving until you can get a decent one.

I have a Polar FT60 which has the option to do GPS.. so it tracks distance, heart rate and calories burned. I don't use the GPS option but I use it for heart rate/calories, and for that it is a really nice device.

I also saw that one poster suggested Timex... I say stay away from them. They are really over inflated when it comes to calories burned.
  • Grantmas
    Grantmas Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Endomondo here. I used it for all sports love how I can track my pace whilst kayaking. Only bummer is the fact it does not do that good a job when doing stationary exercises like treadmills etc.
  • Milziemooxx
    Milziemooxx Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Are you in the UK?!

http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/lloydspharmacy-watch-and-heart-rate-monitor-35281

The only thing a HRM can't do is track your distance, you would need something with GPS built in to do that and they are more expensive.

I just started a thread on buying a HRM in the UK. The Polar ones do look good, but are really expensive. However this one you recommend seems like a good idea and its cheap! Does it have a chest strap? x
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Are you in the UK?!

I just started a thread on buying a HRM in the UK. The Polar ones do look good, but are really expensive. However this one you recommend seems like a good idea and its cheap! Does it have a chest strap? x

Hi Milzie,

It does use a chest strap, I recommended it because the OP was looking for something cheap and it does nearly everything she asked for.

I actually use an entry level Polar and it doesn't do as much as the one I recommended here and I have to send it back to Polar to have the battery changed, which costs even more! I would have brought this one had it been around at the time I was looking.
  • Milziemooxx
    Milziemooxx Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Are you in the UK?!

Hi Milzie,

It does use a chest strap, I recommended it because the OP was looking for something cheap and it does nearly everything she asked for.

I actually use an entry level Polar and it doesn't do as much as the one I recommended here and I have to send it back to Polar to have the battery changed, which costs even more! I would have brought this one had it been around at the time I was looking.

Thanks so much for the info... I have just purchased one online! x
  • MrsMuffinRun
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies :-). Lloyds pharmacy widget looks good for the short term and I can save up for something that tracks distance. Thanks again!