Gaining weight in your sleep!

Options
Anyone know how you can gain 6lbs whilst sleeping?! :/ Seems excessive!

Replies

• shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    do you sleep walk and raid the fridge whilst you're asleep?
  • trasista4
    trasista4 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    maybe you are sleep walking and eating during the night. I once saw this on tv. Seems crazy but it could happen. They locked food up. God's Blessings and good luck. Trasista4
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say...that i`ve never put on weight overnight..
  • Naybelline
    Naybelline Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    No I don't sleep walk.
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    What did you eat before you went to bed?
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    No I don't sleep walk.

Ok sounds weird, but how do you know? I have a child who some times sleeps walks, he never knows he did it the next day.
  • Naybelline
    Options
    I don't eat before bed.

But at 5pm I had chicken, salad and rice.
  • Naybelline
    Options
    Because I think the rest of the house would tell me and also getting over 2 stair gates in my sleep would be a task and then the dogs not tripping me up whilst I walked. I just know.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    If you have electronic scales, that's what happens when you need to replace the batteries.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Something must be wrong with your scale. I lose weight overnight due to bathroom trips and just BMI.
  • Naybelline
    Options
    If you have electronic scales, that's what happens when you need to replace the batteries.

I do have electronic scales... but they're only a few weeks old... I shall try replacing the batteries, thanks!
  • InTenn
    InTenn Posts: 99
    Options
    If you aren't awakening and eating or drinking anything during the night, the only addition to your body is oxygen. You are exhaling moisture and CO2 and perspiring a bit. Net, you should lose weight. If the scale says you have gained, I would blame the scale. Is the floor level? Sometimes an uneven spot in the floor (or carpet or 3D tile) will cause the scale to work improperly.
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I always weigh more in the morning than in the evening. Some people are the opposite. I guess it depends on when you hold your fluids.
  • bett_boop
    bett_boop Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    i once had a simlar thing a few years ago, I weighed myself before I went to bed then first thing in the morning (excessive i know) and I had gained weight, I have no idea how as I had nothing to eat or drink during that time - where did the weight come from?? very strange, i wish i could help...
  • Naybelline
    Options
    If you aren't awakening and eating or drinking anything during the night, the only addition to your body is oxygen. You are exhaling moisture and CO2 and perspiring a bit. Net, you should lose weight. If the scale says you have gained, I would blame the scale. Is the floor level? Sometimes an uneven spot in the floor (or carpet or 3D tile) will cause the scale to work improperly.

The scale hasn't moved, it's always in the same place.... I am wondering though. I had broken sleep last night, didn't sleep a lot at all..... might be the cause of it., who knows.
  • Naybelline
    Options
    i once had a simlar thing a few years ago, I weighed myself before I went to bed then first thing in the morning (excessive i know) and I had gained weight, I have no idea how as I had nothing to eat or drink during that time - where did the weight come from?? very strange, i wish i could help...

It really is bizarre! I always weigh every morning. But I did read up that broken sleep can alter the weight, not sure why!
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Water retention. Chill.
  • infinikate
    Options
    I think the real question is, why are you weighing yourself that often? I know we all like to see the results of our hard work, but realistically you're not going to eat and workout enough to cause a 3500 calorie deficite in one day, so why stress yourself out by weighing in that often? Try once a week for a more accurate reading.
  • ouandi
    ouandi Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I put on weight from the sodium I ate two or three days ago as well as weight training from a few days ago. My scale will jump 4lbs in one night from it! It takes two to three days of lower sodium to get the weight down again. It makes it very frustrating to try and track my weight but I have to do it over the long haul versus day-to-day. Drink lots of water and get that sodium out and it should go back down.
  • ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I would not worry about it. It is not possible to gain 6 pounds in one night. Gaining that much would require you to consume 20,000 excess calories. Stop weighing yourself so much. Pick a time to weigh and then leave it alone: our weight fluctuates.