struggling with belly fat and keeping your curves

Options
I'm currently in my 160s my start weight was 190+ I lost 40lbs last year but ended up gaining back 10lbs. My main goal is to get to 130-140 with a flat stomach and to keep my curves ( I love being thick just not with a fat belly lol ) Any advice/comments? feel free to request me.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in my 160s my start weight was 190+ I lost 40lbs last year but ended up gaining back 10lbs. My main goal is to get to 130-140 with a flat stomach and to keep my curves ( I love being thick just not with a fat belly lol ) Any advice/comments? feel free to request me.
    Body fat "curves" are genetic. Look at your mom and that's the shape you'll usually end with at her age.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • maruby95
    maruby95 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    "Body fat "curves" are genetic. Look at your mom and that's the shape you'll usually end with at her age. "

Man...that's probably the most depressing thing I've ever read on this forum. LOL! Genetics aren't everything!
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Body fat "curves" are genetic. Look at your mom and that's the shape you'll usually end with at her age.

IDEA Fitness member

You mean I'm gonna gain 2 cup sizes? Excellent! :tongue:
  • sexysize12
    sexysize12 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Given that we can't control where the weight comes off from there's no way to tell if you'll end up with a flat stomache, but a good, healthy nutritious diet and overall exercise will have you with a toned and smaller body all over. And if at goal your not 100 percent flat stomached i wouldn't worry as most of us aren't going to have the abs of a fit model. And as for genetics it's not just your mothers side of the family that counts, you could totally take after your fathers side genetically but we have some control over that through eating right and exercising for life. Best of care to you on your journey and congrats on being so near to your goal.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Well I can promise I wont look like my Mom at her age! I'll be WAY healthier!
  • dizzycoolbabe
    dizzycoolbabe Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Loads of sit ups and crunches generally do the trick - work to shorten those abs etc! You may not get a surf board flat stomach but it will flatten it considerably - use a toning band too...
  • PinkLinda
    PinkLinda Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    some is genetic but excercise and proper eating helps. yes so I have the boob part like my mom's side and my weight gain in stomach like my mom however mine is going away - unlike my mom. i excercise and eat a heck of a lot better than her. I don't want the same health issues like she has so I've made those changes now.
  • imkegoal
    imkegoal Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I think the only thing that would help is doing some 'core' exercises, such as 'the plank' and many stomach exercises. Dieting isn't going to help you loose the weight off the right places, but focussed exercise will help you tone up the flabby bits. I keep elling myself

I don't practice what I preach though; I keep telling myself that l will start doing 'stomach exercises every day form tonight' and I have not started that yet- 50 days into my diet....
  • HollyRutledge
    HollyRutledge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    some is genetic but excercise and proper eating helps. yes so I have the boob part like my mom's side and my weight gain in stomach like my mom however mine is going away - unlike my mom. i excercise and eat a heck of a lot better than her. I don't want the same health issues like she has so I've made those changes now.

^^^THIS!!!! My mother has terrible eating habits and she has a plethora of health issues because of her diet (or lack thereof) and exercise (or lack thereof) habits.....I have always been determined not to do to my body what she has done to hers.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I'll never look like my mother when i'm her age. She's 2 inches taller than me and 100+ pound heavier.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by curves. For me, curves have to do with body shape and proportion (chest to waist to hip ratios). In the case, I don't think you lose your curves when you lose weight.
  • jandk09
    jandk09 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    also looking to trim the fat around my middle, including everywhere else :)) i heard plank position is great:))
  • Striving4Fit_MrsOrtiz
    Striving4Fit_MrsOrtiz Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Genetics arent everything. Lose weight and dont be afraid. I have the same worries. But why should we? Just diet and exercise.
  • amihungry
    Options
    When I was a child I was slim. Had my son never was the same.today I'm full figure and my mother is still slim.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I agree genetics determine a lot about what our bodies ultimately are able to achieve, but I think your statement is way off. If my dad worked out and ate exactly like I do then yes I would be able to look at him to get a good "general" idea of what my body is capable of. But if her mother doesn't have the same eating and exercise habits then it's not going to tell her much.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by curves. For me, curves have to do with body shape and proportion (chest to waist to hip ratios). In the case, I don't think you lose your curves when you lose weight.

You are either an hourglass, pear, apple etc.. you can't change that..
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

My Mum is 5 inches shorter than me and we have completely different body shapes... so I don't think that I'll ever look like her just because we're built completely opposite! She's short-limbed, and curvy, and I've got looooong limbs, no curves to speak of, and no hips/waist. I think that genetics may play a small part, but they're not the be all, end all. Sounds like a lot of us don't look (or want to look) like our Mums!
  • todoparami
    todoparami Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    right on~ I have her genes but I don't plan on nurturing my body the way she did!!! I am on the same boat the entire family very unhealthy and with plenty of health issues. I don't plan to get on that road and I have made the concsious decision to eat healthier and work out. I might slip but heck I am totally getting back on the right track!! Motivation: My health!!!

Your body type has been determined it is up to you to maintain it!
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Your body TYPE will never change :grumble: If your a fat pear or a fat hourglass (like me), then you will be a skinny pear or a skinny hourglass! You just have to make YOUR body look the best it can. But most of all you have to learn to love your body :flowerforyou:

33nb5n4.png
  • sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is any way to spot reduce a specific area. I am built like my mother, with a larger belly, and smaller in the butt and legs. Although my mother has always been in her target weight range, her shape shines through. I can see that my belly has better shape since I've combined my cardio/fat burning workouts with some abdominal crunch/strength exercises. I have always known I had my mother's shape even though I didn't keep mine as healthy as she has through the years. My height is likely a combination of my parents (My Dad is 6'4' and Mom is 5'7"--I'm 5'10"). I have 3 sisters: one other has my Mom's shape (but she is about 200 pds overweight), the other two have the "big bottom" shape of my Dad's side of the family (one is average weight and the other is about 200 pds overweight). By the way, my mother is 82 years old and her only health issue, in the past couple of years, is the onset of dementia. It took me some maturing to admit how much I resemble my mother physically and my father's personality.