How much do you spend?

Options

Replies

• bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I,m in the UK and spending around £250 per month for me and my Fiance, eating healthy cost more i think in the UK, if you want to eat junk and fast food it would be loads cheaper, but would be terrible on the waist line!!! do all you other Brits agree???

I've actually found the opposite! When I used to go shopping I would just grab anything that looked tasty, including crisps, chocolate, pastries, cereal bars, ice cream...

Now i'm actually thinking about what I buy, so I buy less. My main tip would be - get your fruit and veg from Aldi! I know there is a bit Aldi snobbery in this country, but the quality is good and they are cheap enough that I can pile them in my trolley without worrying about the cost! I'm a student too. It has really opened my eyes to how much of a rip-off fruit and veg is in the major supermarkets...

Oops, forgot to say how much I spend - I average about £80-£100 per week, feeding just myself.
  • PhoenixBlaise
    PhoenixBlaise Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    For a family of 6 I spend about $600/ month, plus about every 4 months or so we do a big costco shop for canned goods, meat etc and I stock up on chicken at the maple lodge farms outlet here in town. That's about $500-$800 on top of regular groceries. I'm about an hour west of Toronto.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    There's 3 of us I spend about 240 a month. I don't buy as much meat. I cook hamburger once a week and chicken or pasta the rest of the week. It's so much cheaper. I could spend so much more if we had it.
  • joannea1988
    Options
    i avoid aldi, im not a snob but the amount of mouldy veg and fruit ive ended up with, so normally asda, tesco or morrisons and its about £60 a week for 3 of us, mainly fruit , veg, meat, pastas.. and i get plenty of meals out of it .
  • 01divey
    01divey Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    around £40 a week for myself :)
  • Caileadair
    Options
    I'm in the Vancouver area of Canada...the cost of living here is high. I spend about $500 and upwards for two adults who are both trying to lose weight (my son and myself).. That does not include any toiletries, laundry soap etc. I buy those separately. The cost of those items at most grocery stores is prohibitive...I go to a local drugstore that has great sales every month.
    I watch for sales and buy my produce at a Produce Market. Better quality, most often more variety and a lot less expensive.
  • Louise1583
    Louise1583 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I think about £150 a month for myself. I've found I'm spending less now, because I'm being so strict with what I'm eating, therefore taking my lunch to work every day, which is making it all a lot cheaper.
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    £130 freezer food, plus £25 a week on fresh top-ups like fruit and bread
    that gets me 3 square meals a day plus pure fruit smoothies and the like

total - approx £230 a month for 1 person
  • thatgirl125
    thatgirl125 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    we spend just about $350 dollars a month on groceries for a family of 4. And of course that does not include the money spent on grabbing taco bell real quick or something like that.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I spend about $30/week, but when I shop for a two week period, my bill is about $75.

So that's between $120-150 a month. Its only me I'm shopping for.

I guess the cost is so low because I plan all my meals and make a list prior to going to the store. I'm pretty good about staying inside that list!
  • oouurr__aayylleeyycan
    Options
    £120 a month for me and my boyfriend, though we both have separate budgets for what we eat at work. From speaking to other people though I know we're on the low side of what people spend on average but we've just managed to get it down to a fine art now as to what not to buy haha x
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I spend 350 for 2 adults, a 2 year old and an 11 month old. I use coupons when the stores double and triple them, buy items only on sale, hardly buy any processed food, buy produce from the farmers market & the international stores. spend a total of $400 including laundry detergent/soap/toiletries.

I live in Raleigh, NC
  • jacquelyn_erika
    jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    On just groceries, for 2 of us, we spend a minimum of $300 a month.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Our budget is about 200/wk for a family of 4, but that includes stuff like diapers, paper towels etc too.
  • MalyMal
    MalyMal Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I am also in Canada, New Brunswick and for myself and my faince we spend about 300-350. I just recently started couponing and really budgeting and I have managed to save about 40 bucks per grocery bill !!!
  • Hopelessbird
    Options
    Realistically $1K for 2 people in Boston. This includes groceries (+paper products) and dining out.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I'm in the NE US and spend between $600-$800 a month for our family of 6 (kids ages 7,5,3,1). I rarely use coupons and make my weekly menu based on what we want rather than what's on sale. I'm sure if I did it the other way around I'd spend less. My husband always says that life is too short to eat 'cheap' food.
  • mrsrice86
    mrsrice86 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    We usually spend around £350-£400 a month for 2 adults and 2 children (age 1 and 2). That includes nappies for one of the kids, and baby wipes. That also factors in cleaning products and things like that.
    So i don't think that's too bad.
    I shop at tesco. Gotta love the clubcard points :) lol
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    £300 a month for myself and my boyfriend. (This includes general household items such as cleaning products and toiletries.)
  • Caffeinewitch
    Caffeinewitch Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    About $400 - 500 a month for 2 people in the Baltimore/annapolis area. This includes toiletries, paper products and cleaning products, plus cat food and litter, and enough food to have a dinner party at least 2X a week.