Injuries

Options
I have been a Certified Athletic Trainer for over 25 years. I'm also a new user on this site. If you would like, I will try to assist you with any injuries you have. Nothing beats a visit to a doctor but some of the more common injuries or info on stretching can be addressed here and I would be happy to provide my professional advice.

Can't do more than a couple a week but feel free to write.

Best of luck to all!!

Cathy

Replies

• Brittfig08
    Options
    Cathy,

So glad to find someone out there with a professional background! Here's my situation... I've been working out seriously since the begining of the new year, before that I had always been athletic.
    About a week and a half ago I started to get shin splints, so I eased up on running and switched to biking/elpitical. They went away rather quickly. Then as soon as they got better it seems I have pulled/strained a hamstring. Last monday (2/27) I took my boot camp class and could barely walk that evening and the next day. I took the rest of the week off, as to not aggrivate it further. By Wed (2/29) it wasn't hurting when walking or stretching but I stayed off it till Saturday. Then I went dancing for a friends Bachelorette party and now i can feel it again. It by no means is painful like before, but I need to get back to the gym and moving after this gluttoneous weekend!
    I do not have access to a pool, what woule you suggest to do to get back at it? I want to push myself, but not to the point of re-injuring myself.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks :)
    Brittany
  • hezzyhlo
    hezzyhlo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi Cathy,

Thank you for being so willing to help people out! Here is my issue: The dreaded shin splints! I did not do any running until I turned 31. I started slowly running to lose weight, but then decided that I would start training for small races. I did fine running up to about 3 miles. I would occasionally get shin splints, but when I got new shoes they seemed to go away.

Once I started training for a 10K, however, they returned, and have been bothering me ever since. Once I hit about 4 miles, I couldn't seem to get rid of them. I took time off, Iced them, and stretched like crazy. I saw my doctor, and he said that it was Tibial Fasciitis, and that I probably should stick to the elliptical. Well, I was very disappointed, and took 6 months off from running. I have since started again, but am still experiencing shin splints! I am starting slow ( just 2 minute SLOW jogs/2 minute walks) on the treadmill 3x/week. I am stretching LIKE CRAZY (I even got a sprinter stick, which I hate and love at the same time), and ice them every day. I recently bought compression sleeves, which I wear each night after any type of activity. With all of these things, they are better than they were, but are still nagging me. I just can't believe that after a few months without any form of activity did not heal them up.

So, with you experience, I figured that you may have some suggestions. My doctor told me that I just probably won't be able to run, but I just don't think that he is right. Maybe the first step is to see a new doctor. But, any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Heather