Asparagus recipes?

Options
11Jayme11
11Jayme11 Posts: 194 Member
I have never cooked asparagus, but love getting it when out to eat. Anyone have any good recipes for it? I suppose I could just google some.. but would like to hear form real people what you think!!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of steaming it and adding olive oil and pepper. Fresh tomato slices go really well with this.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Roasted with garlic and olive oil.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    roasted. rub with a little olive oil, lay flat on a baking sheet, sprinkle with salt, pepper, minced garlic, and parmesan cheese. Roast at 450F for about 10 minutes.
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    sprinkle bottom of oven proof baking dish with EVOO, lay asparagus in it, sprinkle salt/pepper/parmesan cheese/fresh chopped garlic..bake for 30 min. or do the above, except add a little water and steam in microwave. mmmmmmmm
  • brian9404
    Options
    Simple in minutes. Use non fat, no calorie butter spray, add garlic pepper (certainly can experiment with spices), and throw on a George Forman or sauté pan for a couple minutes. Still keeps it's slight crunch, but a great low calorie buttery, garlicky flavor.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    same :) vegetarian times has a good quiche recipe with roasted asparagus too
  • bettyboop573
    Options
    roasted. rub with a little olive oil, lay flat on a baking sheet, sprinkle with salt, pepper, minced garlic, and parmesan cheese. Roast at 450F for about 10 minutes.

this one
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I love it - there's heaps you can do with it.

* Throw it in a stir fry with whatever other veges you have around i.e. brocolli, cabbage, peppers, carrots etc.
    * It's great grilled with a sprinkling of olive oil, salt n pepper
    * Steamed with a squeeze of lemon juice

Remember to snap off the tough woody ends.
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I have an asparagus steamer. Never boil it if you can help it. I steam a bit and chop it up in my omellette. Put a little green onion in there and some cherry tomato slices and you couldn't imagine the wonderful taste. Not to mention the awesome diuretic properties of asparagus too!
  • ClintTheys
    Options
    Toss in olive oil, sea salt and pepper, grill or bake on rack... the best way to eat them... I prefer the BBQ only takes 5 min!
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I made some just last week. In a skillet with a little olive oil and chopped garlic, medium high, lid on to keep steam in, don't remember the time but long enough to soften a little but not get mushy.
  • TMariepr
    TMariepr Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Glad I stumbled upon this post this morning. I will be having Asparagus for dinner tonight! Thanks MFP Fam!
  • tjlaborde
    Options
    This is the way I do it too...fast easy amazing!!!!! I throw Tony's seasoning on it.
  • bettyboop573
    Options
    I have an asparagus steamer. Never boil it if you can help it. I steam a bit and chop it up in my omellette. Put a little green onion in there and some cherry tomato slices and you couldn't imagine the wonderful taste. Not to mention the awesome diuretic properties of asparagus too!

we just had asparagus omelets last night! they were awesome :)
  • madubil
    madubil Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I prefer to grill it- but you can do this on a cookie sheet in the oven too- toss it in olive oil and sea salt and grill it until its your desired firmness- Its so easy and so good!
  • tiggergrrl23
    tiggergrrl23 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Put them in a pan on the stove with a little bit of olive oil and salt and pepper. Very quick and easy. They are done when they are soft and slightly browned. Yummy!
  • bgc85
    bgc85 Posts: 68
    Options
    My favorite way to use them is simple: take the asparagus and cut them into small pieces (about 1" each). Saute them with some olive oil, crushed red pepper flakes, and garlic. Cook some pasta noodles (I like penne in this dish). Toss the two together. Add a healthy handful of Parmesan cheese. I like eating it as is (hot) and also letting it chill in the fridge and adding some ranch dressing!
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    sauteed...........in a pan, with a cover, tablespoon of olivia spread, some garlic powder, some chopped onions, salt and pepper.......cover and occasionally stir until tender on medium heat stove top.
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I keep mine simple. Steamed with a litte fresh lemon juice & some pepper ~ yummy!! Actually cook some this weekend.
  • LizardLee
    Options
    I love it roasted with olive oil and garlic too. But - this method works best with the thicker spears.

If you have the skinny spears, a quick steam is best. I like to season the steamed asparagus with a little tarragon (dried is fine), some butter and a squeeze of lemon. :-)

Another tip - good asparagus "snaps" when you break it. Sometimes the lower end is tough and fibrous (and yukky!) and won't snap. Starting at the top, snap off pieces until you hit that tough end. Or if you want a long spear, just flex the bottom end until you find a good spot that will snap and discard the lower part.