alcohol at weekends and gaining

Options
Hi I have some vodka Friday and Saturday night I have 2-3 shots both nights BUT I weigh in on Tuesdays and Im always 2lbs heavier than Saturday,I only weight Saturday and Tuesday used to be daily do you think the 4-6 weekend shots of alcohol gain me 2lbs?
Id be interested to hear from other people who drink just weekends and weigh days just after?
Thanks

Replies

• lvllt
    lvllt Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think it will be water retention as I have the same issue. I also have the issue of eating like a pig for 2 days at the weekend and then gaining loads which takes me all week to lose :(
  • silhouettes
    silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    When I drink I tend to gain 2-5 lbs that refuse to come off for 6-7 days.... so unfortunally I try avoiding it now unless it's a special occasion.
  • thatgirl125
    thatgirl125 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    as long as you are under you are within your calories you should be fine. I personally usually weigh 2 lbs less the day after drinking because I am dehydrated.
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Thanks I ned to cut it out as my weightloss for my weight is so slow this time x
  • Gordie580
    Gordie580 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    it all depnds on what kind of alcohol, and a mix. I know captain morgan is 5 cal per oz. but the mix is what is bad for me. and shots it all depnds what is all in there. I now if Idrink i gain, but i figure it is other stuff in alcohol.
  • olee67
    olee67 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Yep, alcohol is a major diuretic and effects of dehydration can last 3 to 4 days after consumption. Even if you are well hydrated and consume alcohol, you're body will still retain extra water. Just remember, alcohol is poison and our body does not like it. I don't care if a glass of red wine is "good" for your heart. There are side effects to everything we put in our body. Whether those side effects are good or bad, they are still side effects. Some side effects carry the "double edged sword" title.
  • anarose13
    anarose13 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    its already been clinically proven those that drink every weekend gain weight at a rapid pace, even if they are working out and dieting through the week. that's why most college freshmen put on an extra 5-15 lbs the first year. wither it be one drink or more, drink!ng every weekend means your not gonna lose weight.
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I need to cut it out unless its a special occassion asa its calories I could be having for food Thanks x
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    it all depnds on what kind of alcohol, and a mix. I know captain morgan is 5 cal per oz. but the mix is what is bad for me. and shots it all depnds what is all in there. I now if Idrink i gain, but i figure it is other stuff in alcohol.

its not 5 calories an ounce. alcohol is 7 calories a gram- a 1.5 ounce standard pour of captain will set you back about 70 calories. i love my cocktails.
  • chelsealjames
    chelsealjames Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I usually drink each weekend, not a whole lot but say 4 drinks on friday and saturday night. This weekend I decided not to drink at all. Lets just say I feel much better AND I lost 2 lbs!!! Which usually doesn't happen after the weekend. Yes, it kind of sucks cutting it out, but I think if you stick to it your body will love you and no longer crave it :)
  • lilyjay_
    lilyjay_ Posts: 86
    Options
    Definitely dreading weigh in this evening now after a boozy Friday :S it was a special occasion though!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I knew this girl who got drunk at a party and ended up gaining 40 pounds in 9 months.
    Just saying, those few pounds shouldn't matter so much.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I am also a weekend warrior :smile: and my weight has not budged in some time.

I only drink one night, but that one night is over-indulgence at its best. Then the next day is crap and crap food.

I did not drink at all this past weekend, and will weigh in on Thursday, we will see!!
  • RBRoy
    RBRoy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It could be a combination of drinking alcohol and eating more when drinking the alcohol. Just a thought. I've been making mocktails ... la croix lime flavored sparkling water, a splash of 100% cranberry juice, ice cubes, and you can even add a lime... put it in a wine glass and you have yourself a fun treat for very few calories!
  • linnylosing
    Options
    Im in college and its hard to find something to do on the weekend that DOESNT involve a drink or two! To counter this Ive wound up just limiting myself to one drink of gin and diet tonic; obviously stopping at 1 doesn't always work out. Ive definitely found the only way to avoid that water retention and weekend weight gain is by abstaining --> STILL WORKING ON THAT!
  • Jamiewoodle
    Jamiewoodle Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    It has to do with the way your body metabolizes/processes the "sugars" in your liver. It's not like the typical fruit sugar, it's more like sucrose or high fructose syrups. Your body is more likely to store 30% of it as fat.

For reference is anyone cares to go more indepth:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/487472-fructose-leads-to-metabolic-syndrome-and-is-basically-toxic
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    its already been clinically proven those that drink every weekend gain weight at a rapid pace, even if they are working out and dieting through the week. that's why most college freshmen put on an extra 5-15 lbs the first year. wither it be one drink or more, drink!ng every weekend means your not gonna lose weight.

you really should rephrase that.

if you drink every weekend to a calorie surplus that is higher then the week deficit... yes you gain wait.

if you drink every weekend but still maintain the week long calorie deficit, you lose weight... It may be slower then you would otherwise be, but you still lose weight.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is part of many of our lives. It's every where all the time. Pretty much everything I do involves drinking. It's just part of life. I'd say that ways I have learned to attack it are to drink lite beer, don't do shots, don't drink mixers, if you don't like beer, learn to drink alcohol straight. Red wine is around 120 to 150 per 5 oz. Thats 150 per glass of red wine. Not really a problem if you plan for it.

The other thing is, and here's where the cheat days come in, you have to live and be human. People have birthdays. People get married. There is Christmas and Thanksgiving. You have to learn how to deal with all these situations. On your cheat day, you can just do it and not worry. That's why cheat days exist, so you can be a normal person. My day is Sunday. But, if I know I'm going out, I'll make it Saturday.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

There is a LOT of grey area there, and tons of variables. The reason that many people (especially college students) who drink every weekend gain weight isn't just because of the alcohol. It's because late night trips to Whataburger and Taco Bell happen when they're drinking. To say having a drink every weekend means you're not going to lose weight is total BS. I drink regularly and have lost nearly 10 lbs since paying attention to how I eat and exercising frequently. I have a glass of wine a few times a week and then sometimes on a Saturday night I'll have a few cocktails. I keep them simple, like vodka and soda, and occasionally I'll have a beer or two. I ALSO monitor my calorie intake, make sure I exercise enough to allow for the alcohol calories, and monitor what I'm eating.

A few shots of liquor on the weekend are NOT going to make you gain a bunch of weight. You will retain water, but as long as you're staying within your calorie limit and drinking lots of water, whatever water retention weight you see on the scale will go away. It's the poor diet choices people tend to make when drinking that cause weight gain. Remember, you have to consume (and not burn off) 3500 calories to gain one pound of fat. A 1 oz shot of vodka has MAYBE 80 calories in it.

It's all about moderation and keeping your calories in check and keeping yourself hydrated! Plenty of people are in great shape and lose weight while still allowing themselves a few drinks here and there.
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I knew this girl who got drunk at a party and ended up gaining 40 pounds in 9 months.
    Just saying, those few pounds shouldn't matter so much.

:laugh: