Popcorn?

Options
I recently dragged my air popper out of storage and intend to put it to good use! I've always just had air popped popcorn plain but my husband isn't a huge fan of it as it doesn't have much flavour - can you guys give some advice of yummy things we can add to our popcorn without bumping up the calories too much?

Replies

• paigeleigh417
    Options
    I love putting garlic salt on popcorn! It's zero calories, the only downfall is that it's salty and salt = water retention. I also like Parkay's spray butter, it's also zero calories and you still get the buttery taste! Target sells popcorn flavorings like cinnamon and all different kinds for a low amount of calories. Not sure what they are called but they sell it in the same isle as the popcorn :)
  • fishiewishes
    fishiewishes Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I may have to have a look, I live in the UK where most of our popcorn is in microwave bags or covered in toffee! I'll have a peek next time I'm out grocery shopping!
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    splash some hot sauce on them (can make some pieces soggy) or sprinkle with Cajun seasoning. Yummy! If you like the sweet rather than the savory, then mix up some brown sugar and cinnamon. It doesn't have to be a lot to add quote a bit of flavor.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    they have those sprinkleable seasonings for popcorn, I use those. I also use fiesta ranch packets. Not the whole thing, just enough to taste :)
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Salsa is also good as a dip for popcorn and is low in calories. It will get slightly soggy, but it tastes good.
  • butterfly0819
    Options
    Seasoned salt!! That's all we use on it :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, or curry powder. They all make great popcorn, you might want a touch of olive oil to help them stick, though.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    theres bacon salt.... it makes everything taste like bacon, with zero cals... and no it doesnt contain actual bacon, its kosher and vegan...

and I like the powdered cheddar flavoring... I started cooking with it.. I dont remember the cals, but i remember it being very low.
  • michellereneejenkins
    michellereneejenkins Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    spray it with Pam butter spray (wont make it soggy and tastes good and doesnt add many calories) then sprinkle either garlic salt or parmesan cheese on it! yummmmm now i want popcorn
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I make a smoked salt - that's delicious on popcorn. I also like to use chili powder or chipotle chili powder on it... tasty.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    We put extra virgin olive oil in a spray bottle and spray the corn as it comes out. Then we add sea salt and other seasonings to taste. The olive oil will, of course, add some calories but spray it isn't bad at all and it helps the seasonings stick to the corn. It's also better than using spray butter. The other thing that's great about it is if you get Mrs. Dash, you can have a variety of flavors... I also like using cinnamon :)
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Take a paper lunch bag, add 1/4c. of popcorn, with a teensy bit of olive oil, and a ton of different spices and a splash of parmesan cheese. Bake in the micro for about a minute, or until it stops popping. It's awesome with very few added calories.
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    theres bacon salt.... it makes everything taste like bacon, with zero cals... and no it doesnt contain actual bacon, its kosher and vegan...

and I like the powdered cheddar flavoring... I started cooking with it.. I dont remember the cals, but i remember it being very low.

you had me at "bacon salt".... :heart: LOL I've never heard of such a thing but holy wowza it sounds pretty amazing! :bigsmile: