How much do you spend?

Options

Replies

• Kell_Smurthwaite
    Kell_Smurthwaite Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    On food alone, we spend on average £50 each week for me, hubby and our 3-y-o son.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    $800-1000 a week for two people in New York. It varies depending on what we want to eat for lunches. Food's expensive.
  • plzlbsbegone
    Options
    I spend about $175-$225 on groceries just for myself (this includes home items and toiletries as well). I buy a lot of fresh fruit and veggies. I do not eat much red meat, so the cost of meat doesn't really affect me. I shop where things are cheapest. I buy produce from Aldi, and bread (12 grain), frozen ground turkey, cheeses and sometimes lunch meat. I buy chicken when it goes on sale at a grocery store, and stock up. Toiletries and such I buy at walmart. I hate the store, but unfortunately, unless it is on sale somewhere else, it tends to be the cheapest for me.
  • rubygarcia86
    rubygarcia86 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I live in South Texas, I spend around $300 a month for 2 of us.

I live in TX too but we probably spend about $600 combined :/
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle changes are expensive.

I wanted to point out that this is not always true. A very good friend of mine who is all about eating healthy, whole, unprocessed, organic foods has proven it's not hard to eat good on a budget. She was able to feed herself, her husband, and her 2 year old son all on about 250-300 a month. That's using almost no processed/boxed/pre-made foods! She actually buys a lot of organic stuff as well.

I'm working with her to find out who she does it! Lol.
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    We are a family of 5, and I spend close to $200/week in groceries. Probably $160-175 of that is food, and the balance is supplies and pet food.
  • mskari77
    mskari77 Posts: 142
    Options
    I'm in the NE US and spend between $600-$800 a month for our family of 6 (kids ages 7,5,3,1). I rarely use coupons and make my weekly menu based on what we want rather than what's on sale. I'm sure if I did it the other way around I'd spend less. My husband always says that life is too short to eat 'cheap' food.

I'm in the Midwest US, I spend on $1000-1200 a month for a family of 7 (kids 13, 12, 10, and twin 5 yr olds...myself and a husband who is in bulking cycle and eats 4000 calories a day). This is JUST at the grocery store, doesn't include paper, hygiene, or cleaning products. I kinda shop the same way...we make up a weekly menu based on what sounds good to eat, not always just what's on sale. I will look to see what is on sale, and see if anything sounds good to make with it.
  • katsmit2
    katsmit2 Posts: 54
    Options
    Before I started couponing, I spent about $800-$900 per month for groceries (including paper products and toiletries) for our family of 5. Now, I spend about $500 per month. I'm not a crazy couponer, but I find that it saves me a lot on diapers, wipes, paper products, personal items (deo, tampons, toothpaste, etc). This savings helps me be able to stay at home with my children.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I spend about 200-250 a month on myself and teenage boy. I shop a lot at Aldi because the fresh veggies and fruit are way cheaper than normal grocery stores. I also shop at Super Target alot their house labels are very good.
  • hollyberry2012
    Options
    I live in Alabama and can buy a

10pc pack of large chicken breasts (No skin or bone) for 10 dollars,

pack of four lean eye of round steaks for 5 dollars

pk of ground turkey for 4 dollars

Fish including imitation crab meat for 11.00

That's meat for 30 suppers and 30 lunch meals for one person for 30 dollars.

Now add veggies, fruit

8 cans of spinach - 7.00
    broccoli for four meals - 3.00 x 4 for the month is 12.00
    onions for a month - 3.00
    tomatoes month - 6.00
    fruit for half a month - 7.00 no need to splurge for a whole month here
    Frozen brussel sprouts for month - 7.00
    mushrooms - for month 7.00
    cabbage - 8.00
    sweet potatoes - 4.00

That's 61.00 for produce (ridiculous)

now staples.....

Chicken broth - 8.00
    Beans - 3.00
    rice - 4.00
    sugar - 1.00
    salt - minimal
    2 loaves whole wheat bread 4.00

That's 16.00

Spice allotment/monthly - 10.00 (includes vinegars and sesame seed oil)

Fun stuff for a month

Sea Weed sheets for sushi - 2.00
    draft saki - 3.00
    egg roll wrappers 3.00
    prepared sauces such as mandarin, seafood, asian sauce, soy/ginger sauce/ lite soy sauce/ dijon w/chardonnay etc. - these last so long that the initial price is high but the monthly price is minimal. around 3.00

That's around 11.00 depending on how fun I wanna get each month!!

The absolute must have to survive's !!

Coffee - 5.00
    creamer - 3.00
    skim milk - 12.00
    slim fast - 14.00

That's 34.00

grape fruit juice (i drink it every other day and eat a fruit on the alternate day ideally) 6.00
    tap water - free..until the water bill comes..hehe

so that is 6.00 a month on drinks other than water.

If I'm not mistaken that comes to 175 dollars per month per person pre-tax.

175.00 average
    x .09 tax
    15.75 tax

so 185.00 average a month for one person.
  • mommyrana
    mommyrana Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I live in TX and spend about $900- $1000 a month for myself, hubby and 4 kids. I use coupons, shop sales, etc.... kids eat all the time :0
  • TeeferTiger
    TeeferTiger Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    i avoid aldi, im not a snob but the amount of mouldy veg and fruit ive ended up with, so normally asda, tesco or morrisons and its about £60 a week for 3 of us, mainly fruit , veg, meat, pastas.. and i get plenty of meals out of it .

I've ended up with mouldy fruit and veg from ASDA. Some of it was mouldy on the shelf!!

We tend to buy from Tescos now as the quality of their fresh veg has really improved over the last few years, and I buy frozen veg from ASDA because it's cheaper :)

However, we're growing our own now providing the summer is better than last year. Disastrous weather and bugs last year :(

I'd say we spend about £200 at the moment, but that's an average for when I go (and spend less!) and when the hubby goes (and buys expensive stuff!!)
  • hollyberry2012
    Options
    now compare that to what I used to spend eating out..LOL and buying junk food at grocery stores..

just kidding...I won't bore you but it is a big difference.

Point is...it costs way more to get fat and stay fat than it does to get thin and stay thin..or if you prefer....get healthy and stay healthy.
  • Lizabee84
    Lizabee84 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I figured my husband and myself spend about $500 a month on groceries, cleaning supplies, and dog food & treats for our two dogs. I think it might be time to cut back a little more.
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    We live in poverty I guess and didn't really realize.... We ONLY 75.00 per week never more for 6 humans 2 cats and one dog.
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    We spend about 500-600/month for a family of 3. We used to only spent 400$ a month, but that was when we ate a lot of crap devoid of nutritional value, but cheap. Now i make all of our meals and we eat whole grain and healthy versions of everything we buy so it's brought the price up. i figure the slight increase is worth it to improve our health.

I try to save as much as i can. I do coupon, but here in Canada we pretty much only use coupons now for non food items as coupons for food items are all for packaged processed crap. I also price match which allows me to save gas by shopping at just one store, but getting all the great deals. In the on season i buy local, fresh produce which saves a bundle!

We're starting to cut back a bit on that budget by integrating anywhere from 1-3 meatless meals a week. 1 meal of firm tofu = .99 vs 1 meal of ground chicken = $5
  • hdlb123
    hdlb123 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I live in TX and spend about $900- $1000 a month for myself, hubby and 4 kids. I use coupons, shop sales, etc.... kids eat all the time :0

It's amazing how much kids can eat. We run out of things daily it seems.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    £160 a month, just for me.

My fiancé spends £40 a month.

Sounds like part of your 160 may be going in fiance's tummy. You must be a great cook!
  • sammyjbray
    sammyjbray Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I live in the UK with my hubby and 6 kids, ans spend £1200 a month, and that's with growing my own veg. I honestly think £900 goes on milk, and it'd be cheaper for me to buy a cow. :angry:
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Family of 3....husband, myself and kiddo (10 year old). We eat lunch out most days (work) and the kiddo eats at school and we still spend about $300 a month on groceries.