Needs tips for getting more fiber

Options

Replies

• greeneyeddragon
    Options
    Lots of fruit and vege but for those of us aiming higher I found a bar in the organic section called "-f-force". It contains 50% of your daily fiber without added sugars or carbs. Comes in two flavours. Tastes pretty good, a little dry, but a great way of getting some extra fiber . Very few of us in this country eat enough fiber and its so good for you and aids fat loss. Recent studies Ive read are recommending around 40gms a day. All I can say is. . .Work your way up ;-)
  • trmecham
    trmecham Posts: 53
    Options
    Chia seeds, flat-out flatbread (9 grams fiber and 9 grams protein), low sodium V-8 and asparagus.
  • neubauer7
    neubauer7 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I know I could definitely be eating more veggies. Do you eat them plain, or with any low cal dips? I just have a hard time eating raw carrots/celery etc... but maybe I need to SUCK IT UP and start!! :wink:
  • WifenMom
    WifenMom Posts: 40
    Options
    Have a cup of slow carbs (veggies or the berry fruits) with each meal. When eating fast carbs eat only whole wheat products. I always go over on my fiber and it's easy to do if you stick to those guidelines.
  • DeenieWeenie
    DeenieWeenie Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I take fiber supplements, along with natural fiber in foods! :) I usually take the capsules, but ended up with a powder this time, thinking it was compared to Benifiber and um it's nasty! It's compared to Metamucil. It changes my water brown and is like a nasty gel like substance!:sick: It's Fiber Therapy 100% Natural Psyllium Husk Fiber Equate brand!
  • neubauer7
    Options
    Have a cup of slow carbs (veggies or the berry fruits) with each meal. When eating fast carbs eat only whole wheat products. I always go over on my fiber and it's easy to do if you stick to those guidelines.

Thank you!
  • neubauer7
    Options
    I take fiber supplements, along with natural fiber in foods! :) I usually take the capsules, but ended up with a powder this time, thinking it was compared to Benifiber and um it's nasty! It's compared to Metamucil. It changes my water brown and is like a nasty gel like substance!:sick: It's Fiber Therapy 100% Natural Psyllium Husk Fiber Equate brand!

oh ew! I dont think I could handle brown water!! :tongue:
  • therapyruns
    therapyruns Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    look at my diary, I hit almost 70 today.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Benefiber works wonders. I was having a real hard time a few months back. I tried bran, metamucil and every other thing I could think of. Then a friend on MFP told me about benefiber and I haven't had a problem since. It has no taste. It's power and you add it to your food or beverage. Trust me.... it works wonders!!! :flowerforyou:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I know I could definitely be eating more veggies. Do you eat them plain, or with any low cal dips? I just have a hard time eating raw carrots/celery etc... but maybe I need to SUCK IT UP and start!! :wink:

Try eating veggies in a number of ways. Some veggies I can eat raw .... no dip. Carrots, snap peas, and red peppers are great this way. Others: green peppers, celery, cucumbers I prefer with dip. Use plain greek yogurt as a base .... add dry ranch seasoning, or dill or onion powder. Some people use hummus as a dip, lots of protein.

Roasting veggies really brings out a different flavor .... I love cauliflower and asparagus this way ....yum!

As far as sugar in fruit ...... I wouldn't worry about this number too much. Processed (added) sugar is the one you really need to look out for. Fruit in it's natural state, gives you so many good nutrients (and fiber).
  • neubauer7
    Options
    What do you guys think about these? Trying to do my homework. I think I will be trying to increase my fiber through my diet, but also either trying metamucil, benefiber, or these... ?

http://www.amazon.com/Vitafusion-Fiber-Gummies-90-Count-Bottle/dp/B002NPCMJC/ref=pd_bxgy_hpc_text_b
  • aeberly01
    aeberly01 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Read labels. When you're picking your foods and deciding on brands, make sure to look at the fiber too. I put chia seeds in my yogurt every morning and eat beans, I never realized how much fiber was in them until I started tracking!
  • ruggedBear
    ruggedBear Posts: 295
    Options
    I like the clear mixing powders, Kashi cereals and veggies like spinach, broccoli, celery, and asparagus. I avoid fruits pretty much all together so I can keep the carbs lower and replace them with bright colored veggies like carrots, red, yellow and orange bell peppers, which I find to be very sweet. I'm almost always over in the fiber intake - 25g on average.
  • neubauer7
    Options

Try eating veggies in a number of ways. Some veggies I can eat raw .... no dip. Carrots, snap peas, and red peppers are great this way. Others: green peppers, celery, cucumbers I prefer with dip. Use plain greek yogurt as a base .... add dry ranch seasoning, or dill or onion powder. Some people use hummus as a dip, lots of protein.

Roasting veggies really brings out a different flavor .... I love cauliflower and asparagus this way ....yum!

As far as sugar in fruit ...... I wouldn't worry about this number too much. Processed (added) sugar is the one you really need to look out for. Fruit in it's natural state, gives you so many good nutrients (and fiber).

THANK YOU :)
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    umm yeah... but I'm trying to stick to 1200 cals a day (plus exercise of course) which means getting enough fibre is a problem
  • neubauer7
    Options
    umm yeah... but I'm trying to stick to 1200 cals a day (plus exercise of course) which means getting enough fibre is a problem

I'm at 1200/day also :wink:
  • neubauer7
    Options
    :bigsmile: WOW, the MFP community is so helpful and supportive! THANK YOU to everyone who responded!!! :heart:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I'm not a big fan of raw veggies most of the time. I like carrot/celery sticks with pb (lots of fiber there). But I roast most of my veggies. It really brings out the flavor when they start to carmelize in the over (or on the grill).
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    are you getting any fruit & veg? - don't know can't see your diary. I don't go overboard on the fruit, veg & only have 1/2 slice wholegrain with breakfast but i'm almost always over my fibre goal.
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Flaxseeds..... but make sure you grind them (fresh) before adding to food!!!! So good for you!!! (read about them) Good luck!!