Needs tips for getting more fiber

Options

Replies

• DeenieWeenie
    DeenieWeenie Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Do you like cottage cheese? Fiber one makes a cottage cheese and you get 5 grams of fiber for 1/2 cup. ;) good protein and fiber for just 1/2 or 1 cup. down fall.. over 800 mg of sodium for a cup of it.
  • Nurse_krissy
    Nurse_krissy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Try eating veggies in a number of ways. Some veggies I can eat raw .... no dip. Carrots, snap peas, and red peppers are great this way. Others: green peppers, celery, cucumbers I prefer with dip. Use plain greek yogurt as a base .... add dry ranch seasoning, or dill or onion powder. Some people use hummus as a dip, lots of protein.

Roasting veggies really brings out a different flavor .... I love cauliflower and asparagus this way ....yum!

As far as sugar in fruit ...... I wouldn't worry about this number too much. Processed (added) sugar is the one you really need to look out for. Fruit in it's natural state, gives you so many good nutrients (and fiber).
    [/quote]

AMEN! I was formulating my response in my head when I read this one... everything I was about to say!

I LOVE roasted veggies - especially the fall/winter veggies (squash, onions, carrots). Last night I made roasted asparagus and mushrooms - YUM! An added bonus to asparagus - it is suprisingly high in protein! YAY!

Also, I make it a point to never eat without including a friut/veggie. That means some sort of produce with each meal AND snack. I am not a fan of processed foods or supplements, so I go for the whole food in it's natural form.

From a medical standpoint, 25-35g of fiber daily is the minimum recommendation. Most of America consumes only a quarter of that! Because of my whole foods, I often end up with at least 40g. Yes, I'm also over in my sugar, but that's okay. Like the previous poster mentioned, when it's not added sugar, it's okay.

Good luck!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Flaxseeds..... but make sure you grind them (fresh) before adding to food!!!! So good for you!!! (read about them) Good luck!!
    They sell them already ground now. Is fresh ground better? I add it to homemade bread, oatmeal, anything I can think of. lol
  • fj211
    fj211 Posts: 95
    Options
    If you use Benefiber be sure to log the calories. I'm minus my gallbladder so I need a ridiculous amount of fiber in my diet. I supplement with Benefiber and it costs me almost 100 cals a day.
  • eggheadrn
    eggheadrn Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds (yes...as in ch-ch-chia). Good source of omega....12 g of fiber per serving (I got a bag at Costco).

I sprinkle in yogurt and have with oatmeal.

http://www.chiaseedrecipes.com/
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I bought Chia seeds (Bobs Red mill)
    I love soaking 1-2 tbl in a little water (5-10 min), it turns them soft and puffs them up a little, then add 1/3 cup of krusteaz buttermilk pancake mix and appropriate water amount. Wha-la! Yummy pancakes, fiber filled with a TBL of almond butter. It's sweet, filling and satisfying!!!

All my other bread products are whole grain.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I see that a lot of you are roasting veggies. Are you adding specific seasoning to them or just leaving them plain?
  • NicolePatriot
    NicolePatriot Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Benefiber. I've been adding it to my water in the morning. No taste, no smell, etc. but 2 tsp is 3g of fiber. I up it to 4 tsp so I'm getting 6g of fiber with breakfast. :)
  • RachelGraceReed83
    RachelGraceReed83 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am wondering how much fiber should I have for one day?
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I know I could definitely be eating more veggies. Do you eat them plain, or with any low cal dips? I just have a hard time eating raw carrots/celery etc... but maybe I need to SUCK IT UP and start!! :wink:

I love making dip with greek yogurt. 6 oz is about 120 cals and 14g protein and 0 fat. Taste is awesome. I buy dip seasoning and mix it to taste. You do have to watch the sodium, but it is really, really good.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Do you like soup? My pepper soup recipe is,

6 red/orange/yellow bell peppers
    8 fresh tomatoes or 1 tin tomatoes
    1 red onion
    2 ham stock cubes
    1 teaspoon tabasco sause
    1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce (lea & perrins)

I just blast all the fresh stuff in the food processor then add to a pot with the stock and simmer for 30 - 60 mins. This makes up four servings - each serving is around 120 calories and gives back 6 fiber. its really nice served with Fage 0% fat greek yogurt if you want to get a bit of protein in there too. oh, and mabey some wholegrain bread for even more fiber.

hope this helps :D
  • IllMurray
    IllMurray Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just on a technical note regarding the nutritional information for foods logged, often the content for food that is lower on the scale (such bad grammar, sorry!) like iron and fibre haven't been entered on the information (i.e. some people seem to be only entering calries, carbs and sugar in nutritional information), so if you're just relying on what MFP says, you might be getting more than you think :)
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Vegetables, ground flax seed (or oat bran) sprinkled into your breakfast and maybe lunch. I sometimes eat oatmeal in the morning and add 4 tbsps of ground flax seed and from that I'm already well on my way to meeting the goal of fiber and probably going over.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Do you like soup? My pepper soup recipe is,

6 red/orange/yellow bell peppers
    8 fresh tomatoes or 1 tin tomatoes
    1 red onion
    2 ham stock cubes
    1 teaspoon tabasco sause
    1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce (lea & perrins)

I just blast all the fresh stuff in the food processor then add to a pot with the stock and simmer for 30 - 60 mins. This makes up four servings - each serving is around 120 calories and gives back 6 fiber. its really nice served with Fage 0% fat greek yogurt if you want to get a bit of protein in there too. oh, and mabey some wholegrain bread for even more fiber.

hope this helps :D

I like that soup recipe, thanks for sharing. I'm gonna try it sometime ~
  • Darrins1girl
    Options
    All Natural Unprocessed Wheat Bran- made by Millers Brand works great for keeping the flow going. Don't use it if you don't have any digestive issues or you can't get off the toilet.
  • mack1238
    mack1238 Posts: 11
    Options
    Fiber One cereal and Benefiber mixed in with my water. Also, the promax LS bars have a ton of fiber in them too.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I see that a lot of you are roasting veggies. Are you adding specific seasoning to them or just leaving them plain?

Toss with a bit of olive oil & your favorite seasonings. Garlic, salt, pepper, lemon zest, whatever you like.

Asparagus & lemon

Cauliflower, garlic & pepper

Grilled asparagus with soy sauce baste is yummy too.
  • EmilyLStuart
    Options
    I just bought Oroweat double fiber whole wheat English muffins - 8g fiber and only 120 cals...eating them with cream cheese and strawberries...OMG so good!
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I bought a rice cooker and cook a lot of whole grains in it. Brown rice, cracked wheat, steel cut oatmeal. Usually have a big breakfast of cereal and rice with noon or evening meal. Whole grains are filling and contain a lot more fiber than processed--ie white rice, white flour, etc.
  • neubauer7
    neubauer7 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I upped my veg intake today and went out and bought some benefiber. I added it to my water and didnt taste a thing! :wink: awesome! Thanks!