new guy with a couple questions

Options
OH_matt
OH_matt Posts: 228 Member
OK, well I'm new here (started this week) and honestly, pretty new to eating healthy. I admit my food choices in the past haven't been the best when it comes to health, that's why I'm where I'm at now. I have decided that I'm going to make a big change and fix that. I've been eating good foods for a few weeks and cutting out fast food, pop, and other junk and replacing them with veggies, water, and some pre-made healthy meals. The questions I have are as follows:

By replacing some snacks and other foods through out the day with healthier, low cal foods my overall calorie intake is pretty low. Do I need to eat other food to increase the calorie intake if I'm already feeling full?

Also, I drink a lot of this drink mix from Kroger that is basically just a flavoring to water. There's only 5 calories per 8 ounces. I drink about 6 cups of water while I'm at work and drink this Kroger mixed water with dinner and when I'm thirsty at home. I know they say we should have 8 cups of water a day, but by drinking this mix stuff, does that count or should I cut some of that out and drink more plain water?

Also, like I said, I'm new to this kind of stuff and don't have a lot of "real" info, just what I could find online and stuff like that so any other tips or pointers would be MUCH appreciated.

Replies

• ConnieB1979
    ConnieB1979 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    This isnt really an answer to your question. But, I cant hardly seem to make myself drink plain water..... I am addicted to crystal light, pink lemonade and fruit punch..... The powder that you add to bottled water. Im sure it probably isnt the healthiest way to go but it works for me and has got to be better than all the dr.pepper and mt.dew I used to drink. :happy:
  • bellevie23
    bellevie23 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    There is water in your foods, so even though you aren't drinking strictly water, if you are eating and drinking 6, you are still getting more than 6 cups water. I would use your urine as judgement on that.

As for the foods, really depends how low your calorie intake is. I am more a moderator so although I do eat healthier, I do have foods high in calories. You could always eat more and burn calories if you go over, that is my views on it. :)
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    The drink flavoring sounds a lot like crystal light, I add that to my water a lot. I still count it as water. The way I have made this work is to eat whatever I want, just in proper portions, and to log EVERYTHING! Basically you should never go under 1400 a day, but you really should be aoming to hit (or get close) to the calorie goal thay have given you.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

By replacing some snacks and other foods through out the day with healthier, low cal foods my overall calorie intake is pretty low. Do I need to eat other food to increase the calorie intake if I'm already feeling full.

By low how low do you mean? Ideally between reduced intake and increased expenditure (eat less, move more) you should be creating a deficit that is adequate to promote fat loss without feeling like you're starving to death. As fat contains approx 3,500 cal per lb a deficit of 500 cal per day should result in an average of 1lb lost per week which is a healthy and sustainable rate. If your caloric intake drops too low you run the risk of metabolizing lean muscle mass which is undesirable. So, the short answer is, maybe yes to more calories.
    Also, I drink a lot of this drink mix from Kroger that is basically just a flavoring to water. There's only 5 calories per 8 ounces. I drink about 6 cups of water while I'm at work and drink this Kroger mixed water with dinner and when I'm thirsty at home. I know they say we should have 8 cups of water a day, but by drinking this mix stuff, does that count or should I cut some of that out and drink more plain water?

If it's only 5 cal per serving and gets you to drink additional fluids why not(as long as you include them in your calorie logging) Plain water, green tea etc are great choices but not everyone likes them.

You mentioned that you're eating healthier which is good, have you started any kind of fitness program? You don't need to train for a marathon or become a body builder - as little a half hour a day of moderate exercise can provide you with significant benefits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUaInS6HIGo
  • 0EmmeNicole0
    0EmmeNicole0 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    If adding drink mix to your water, gets you your water, then by all means add the drink mix. It's a lot better that way, then not drinking any water. As long as you are hydrated that is all that matters. I add lemon juice to my water all the time. It's still water. Also if your calories seem too low eat foods that are great for you but high in calories like avocados, nuts, and oils. Olive oil has a lot of calories, so drizzle a tbsp of olive oil on some sliced tomato, mozzarella, and basil for a salad that is healthy but not too low in calories. Put avocado in your salads, wraps, or on burgers. Snack on a handful of almonds. Instead of sweets eat two tbsp of peanut butter. Instant 200 calories!! And peanut butter leaves me satisfied for at least a couple of hours (and will make you crave water).
  • cbush0315
    cbush0315 Posts: 18
    Options
    www.choosemyplate.gov

I'm studying to be a Dietitian (nutrition consultant) and that is the BEST way to figure out what you should be eating. But if you want a quick tip:
    6 ounces of grain per day (half being whole grains)
    2 1/2 cups of veggies per day
    2 cups of fruit
    3 cups of dairy
    5 1/2 ounces of protein (lean meat, eggs, etc.)
    6 tbsp of oil (canola or other cooking oils)
  • OH_matt
    Options

without feeling like you're starving to death.

I don't feel starved. I eat a lot of food throughout the day, just a lot of fruits and veggies so the calorie count is low. That's what I'm wondering. Should I swap bag to some of the higher calorie foods to get the calories up?
  • dsagaties1963
    Options
    I'm new to this also, is it important to eat all the calories, carbs and proteins that they say? I've just gone from eating once a day or every other day to 3 times a day but I'm still way under on what it says I should have eaten like yesterday it says I still had 1533 calories, 202 carbs, 61 fat, 26 proteins. I feel full after eating and don't want to feel stuffed. But at the same time I want to lose weight. If so maybe I can just add a couple of protein bars to my day.. New friends on here would be great. Thank You
  • OH_matt
    Options
    anyone else have input?
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Great job making some big changes!

Yes, you really should eat the calories you are allotted. Does that mean go grab a big mac? not necessarily, but maybe somethings that are more calorie dense, nuts, peanut butter, etc are high cals and still good for you as well.

As for the water, as the others have said, water flavorings are fine :) Enjoy!
  • MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    plain water is hard for me to drink also unless its ice cold.. so I use those packets as well. as long as you are getting that fluid by all means.... definitely add in some kind of exercise and sounds like you are well on your way :)
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    If you open up your food diary, I could give you more advice, but the general answer is... yes, you should make sure you hit the calories MFP allots you. Even if you are eating healthy veggies/fruits and feeling full. If you need some "higher calorie" but nutritional foods, I would suggest nuts, yogurt, and beans (not refried!) as basics. Make sure you hit your calorie goal, and you'll be just fine.

**EDIT - and as someone above me said, this DOES NOT mean going and eating fast food to up your calories.
  • BelleEns
    BelleEns Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Welcome :)
    I try to use a bit of common sense- If I'm not hungry, then I don't eat. That usually means I'm below my calorie goal by quite a lot. I do tend to store up those uneaten calories for Friday night!
    Also, what has worked wonders for me is having a weekly spike day- A day where you eat a lot more than your recommended calorie intake for weightloss. It works wonders for me, even though I don't understand the science behind it!
    Good luck.