Fit and Fun Sized (those under 5'4") for March 2012

Options
jam0525
jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
Hello to old and new friends!

This forum is for those of us who are shorter in stature. We have our own set of problems in trying to change our lives, get healthy and get our weight under control. Both men and women are welcome to post here.

Since may of us post in more than one group these days, our guidelines are fairly loose. How did you do on your goals for Februrary? What are your goals for this month? Checking as often as you like, but try to post at least a weekly update. Let us know you are hanging in there.

I did OK for February. I lost 2 of the pounds I put on over the holidays, but I am still not below my ticker, so I did not get to update it. I have been doing my strength exercises regularly which was my main goal for the month. I have done them 3-4 times a week for the whole month. For March I want to add back in aerobics on a regular basis again. I am going to commit to a 20 minutes or more 3-4 times a week. My 93 year old Dad has been in and out of the hospital again. Nothing serious, just the stuff that happens at that age, but he can't be left alone with my mom right now. Both of my parents live with us and I have two teenagers plus a husband who recently became partially disabled due to an accident at work. So it is just me working and just me doing EVERYTHING.

Jeannie

Replies

• Seminole_puppy
    Seminole_puppy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP in January. My February goal was five pounds, and I made that--actually, a little better. My March goal is another five pounds, but I'm hoping for more. I used to say I was 5' 1 1/2", but that last time a doctor measured my height, he said I was 5'1", so I guess I'm shrinking?

I was doing Jillian Michaels's 30 Day Shred in February, but then stopped when I got sick. I need to start back, but I'm staying right at or under my calorie limit when I don't exercise, so I should be fine.

Thanks for hosting this thread.
  • clbelles
    clbelles Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting started, I need all the help I can get!
  • lola8403
    lola8403 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    5' even. Gotta love being short lol.
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Somehow I lost 5 pounds since my last weigh-in. I'm really not quite sure how. I did quit logging/obsessing over calories. Still have at least 24 pounds to go. Just have to hang in there!!
  • 321blueeyes
    321blueeyes Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    5'2.5" here, weighing in at 141 which is nearly 5 lbs gain from where I started in Feb :ohwell: However, I couldn't have expected anything different, as Feb was a rather hard month for me. Hopefully I am thru the worst now that all the "special occasions" are over, first Thanksgiving and Xmas, then our Jan birthdays and now V-Day and Anniversary holidays have passed (my first time single in many years, I've yet to embrace it)

I'm continuing to work on my physical therapy, which helps to force me into strength training, however I find it much more difficult to focus on my workouts when my running has been so severely limited. It's almost as though the running gives me the exercise endorphins which motivate me for the cross training? It's so much harder to just sit at home & do my body-resistance exercises!

I also really let my eating habits slide this past month - too much processed food, I let myself get sloppy and took solace in food rather than finding more productive outlets.

I'm still on the swimsuit hunt, trying to find something nice to take to FL with me later in the month. I'm contemplating the Lands' End suits, tried on the regular models at the local Sears & was pleasantly surprised with the modest coverage, however I'll still need to order online to get the DD sizes.
  • Hippie_Soul
    Hippie_Soul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hello!! 5'2 and 3/4" here! (Yes,I DO count that 3/4!) I joined MFP at the end of January, so February is my first true month at trying the site and adapting to my better-late-than-never lifestyle. I quit smoking November 1st, 2011 and decided its time to change my life.
    I actually have dropped 10 lbs, which doesn't feel like much, considering I have about 70 more to go to reach my goal weight. Being as short as 'we' are, and never being 'skinny' in my adult life, I'm not sure if 130 lbs is too small, but I suppose if I can get to 150, I can determine then how I look and feel.
    So far this site has really helped me see exactly what I was putting in my body..I was astonished the first few days I logged every single thing I ate. It was almost embarrassing! But I feel like I am doing much better now..still trying to test things out here and there (adjust sodium and calcium and sugar levels).
    I have been doing cardio at the YMCA since November 2011 (have never worked out before) and Tuesday morning I am starting weight training 2-3 times a week while keeping the cardio at least twice a week. I keep reading how beneficial lifting is and when I am able, will be purchasing The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess.
    Feel free to add me as a friend (women only please) and good luck on all your goals!!
  • 321blueeyes
    321blueeyes Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Welcome MrsHaskell & congratulations on your progress so far! To quit smoking is great, and to manage to lose weight these past few months is an even bigger step towards a "new" you!
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 5'2". My SW was 180 lbs. I lost 35 lbs walking for 5.5 months before I found MFP accidentally in Oct 2011. Since joining, I have lost another 30 lbs. I have another 5 lbs to reach my goal weight. I hope to achieve this at the end of March. I went from a size 15/16 to 5/6...I still cannot believe it! Once I reach my weight goal, my biggest challenge would be to be able to maintain my new lifestyle. I understand this will be my biggest challenge. (I could use all the support I could get...but don't know how to add you all as my friends...am kind of a dinosaur when it comes to technology...sorry).

My Goal for March is to continue to loose body fat with cardio exercises. (because of my arthritis, I use the elliptical a lot since it's low impact). I also started strength training with the help of my supportive hubbie, and would like to continue progressing by increasing my weights.

I AM praying my arthritis continues to remain in remission so I could continue with my new life journey.

Good luck to all of us! Add me if you feel I could be of support to you.
  • valpreston
    Options
    Am 5'2" (I think, not sure if I have begun shrinking yet - don't want to know), and 50 years old. So I have a bit harder time at the losing game. In 2010 I lost 40 lbs by walking and adjusting eating habits. Then in 2011, I let it slide and gained back 25 lbs. So this year, my daughter and I started out in a 10 week fitness challenge. My goal was to lose 18 lbs by the end of the challenge. The challenge includes 5 days of 60 minutes circuit training (includes weights and cardio), and support in ensuring healthy eating. I started recording on this site because it is the one the trainer uses.
    Only have 6 lbs to go to this goal weight milestone. Then hopefully the nice weather will be here, and I can get back to walking. I have got a pass to the pool just in case.:wink:
  • Hippie_Soul
    Options
    Welcome MrsHaskell & congratulations on your progress so far! To quit smoking is great, and to manage to lose weight these past few months is an even bigger step towards a "new" you!

Thank you so much!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Hippie_Soul
    Options
    Hi, I am 5'2". My SW was 180 lbs. I lost 35 lbs walking for 5.5 months before I found MFP accidentally in Oct 2011. Since joining, I have lost another 30 lbs. I have another 5 lbs to reach my goal weight. I hope to achieve this at the end of March. I went from a size 15/16 to 5/6...I still cannot believe it! Once I reach my weight goal, my biggest challenge would be to be able to maintain my new lifestyle. I understand this will be my biggest challenge. (I could use all the support I could get...but don't know how to add you all as my friends...am kind of a dinosaur when it comes to technology...sorry).

My Goal for March is to continue to loose body fat with cardio exercises. (because of my arthritis, I use the elliptical a lot since it's low impact). I also started strength training with the help of my supportive hubbie, and would like to continue progressing by increasing my weights.

I AM praying my arthritis continues to remain in remission so I could continue with my new life journey.

Good luck to all of us! Add me if you feel I could be of support to you.

Great job!!!! That is amazing work well done!!!
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Chubbyhulagirl Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! 5'1 here. Gave birth July 1st at 200lbs. Got down to 177lbs by new years. My anniversary is jan 3rd so didnt start trying to lose weight til jan 9th. Lost 17lbs since then. 8 of those since starting mfp. Goal is 125 by my wedding on 8/11/12 and 115 by christmas! Im 160 today so i have 5 months til my first goal of 35lbs. Good luck all you shorties!! Cant wait to post pics of my success! To a skinnier, stronger, healthier year and lifestyle!!!!
  • BetterWithAge
    Options
    5'2.5" here... I have been struggling for years and February was no different. But I keep trying. :)
  • ChshireKat
    ChshireKat Posts: 117
    Options
    bookmark
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

yes, I am shrinking too. I've lost an inch and trying to not loose any more without a fight! I started doing weights at home last year. My arm muscles are so week I can't get above 5 pounds and mostly use 1 pounders. I do find that they help tone my abs and my arms.

So many doctors recommend weights for women these days it is amazing.

What are you doing to keep our precious 1/2 and 1/4 inches we all count?

Jeannie
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Is there a specific group to join? Or is this an ongoing thread thing?

Anyway, I'm 5'1.5", Last I checked (I haven't checked since January) my weight is 176.4... I may have lost a couple of pounds, I don't know... I will try to remember to get it checked at the end of the month. Anyway, right now I'm not focusing on the weight that I have lost...

I am focusing on making sure I drink enough water... I'm shooting for 88 oz. a day.
    Getting my caloric intake under control (ie, not going over so often).
    And exercising 6 days a week...

If I can get 2 out of 3 of these goals accomplished this month, I will be happy.

ETA: though my long term weight loss goal is to be 120 lbs.
  • INTER5TELLA
    Options
    Hey
    I'm 5' 0". My SW was 180lbs, but I joined MFP literally 3 weeks ago after realizing I needed some type of trackers and support, my family kind of is the opposite of support and only offer negative reactions, I strangely find the negativity to be more of a push for me to go to the gym and keep up with this all, mainly to spite them. I managed to keep up and lose 3 pounds so far in about 2 weeks, this is my third week now. I have another 7 pounds to reach my first goal weight of 170lbs. My UGW is about 120. I figure that I'll decide as I get closer if I want to keep it that weight or go lower or stay a slightly bit higher. It's was the first week that was the toughest, I was so tired after that week, and disgusted with all the utter rubbish I'd been eating daily I changed it within a week.

My goal though for March is to get to 172 at least by the end of it. I figure five pounds is enough for a month, besides slow and steady really is healthier. I also would love to go down either a shirt size or pants size, I don't think I have yet a preference.
  • wilberfamily
    wilberfamily Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm new to this group. My name is Karen and I'm 5'2" (okay 5' 1 1/2" :) My last goal was to lose 15 pounds by March 1st. I lost 14.8 so I'm happy with that. So far I'm up to 16.4 pounds down. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and supporting everyone in this journey.
  • Neigh2012
    Neigh2012 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and my SW was 172. I've lost about 5 lbs since joining mfp about a month and a half or so ago. My goal is to get at least to 140.
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am 5'1.5" I started my journey at 205 pounds. I am now at 131.2. I would like to get down to 130 by the end of March. I know that doesn't sound like much, but I am lucky if I lose more than .2 in a week. I usually exercise at the gym 5-6 days a week, but I had surgery at the end of January . My goal for February was to maintain while I was unable to exercise, and get rid of the few extra holiday pounds.. I was able to do that. For the past 4 weeks I have been limited to walking. I have walked 45-60 minutes a day, everyday with the exception of 2 days. Friday will be 6 weeks from my surgery and I will be able to go back to the gym. It is nice to have a group of other shorties!