Early Morning Workouts

I workout early in the mornings b/c there are no interruptions. I do find that some mornings I struggle with the energy to make it thru the workout (meaning giving it my 110%). I'm wondering if I should allow myself time to eat a preworkout snack before I exercise instead of jumping or (crawling) :blushing: out of the bed and hitting play. What do you guys and gals do that exercise early in the mornings?

Replies

• Im usually at my work gym by 6:15am and hit it for close to 2 hours. I cannot eat that early in the morning so I usually just roll out of bed and by the time Im walking out the door, I'm ready to go. I've never had an issue with a lack of energy, I just do my weights first, then cardio last. Kind of like build up toward it.
  • kentmanion
    kentmanion Posts: 20 Member
    For me, it depends on the duration and intensity of the workout. If I am going to be working out less than and hour, I usually just get up and go and then refuel after. If the workout is 1+ hour or if I know it is going to be intense, I will eat a little something.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    I'm attempting to work out in the mornings as well. I find that once I get into it (about 5-10 minutes) I'm good to go. I always make sure I have a big glass of water available for me throughout though.
  • jamfan
    jamfan Posts: 124 Member
    I go from the gym directly to work so if I don't eat beforehand I dont get the chance till lunch. I have a banana w/ Natural Peanut Butter washed down w/ whey mixed w/ skim milk. Once at work I'll have tea. Ususally holds me till lunch pretty well & is light. I do this before both cardio & resistance days. Some will argue that the fat of the PB will reduce the effectiveness of the whey for resistance training but it works for me & my routine.
  • I begin my morning workout at 6am and i do about half hour but i give it my all! I normally feel sluggish for the warm up but as soon as my heart rate is up i am all go! Try doing something like jumping jacks for a couple mins just to allow yourself to wake up!
  • marbit
    marbit Posts: 108
    I had the exact same problem. Last week I swear every morning when I got up i felt like my body was made of molasses. So i decided this week to shake it up a bit on Friday, I moved my workouts to after work for 1 week. I was insanely tired after my workout on Friday, but I felt like I had energy while I was working out. Same for Sat and Sun. I think eating first definitely has its benefits, cause I felt really really good. But I am not getting up at 4AM to eat! I'm thinking I'll do this for a week then maybe switch back and see how that works. Im guessing working out for an hour and a half every morning at 5 may have just tired my body out. Lets see what happens.
  • creative1981
    creative1981 Posts: 182 Member
    I work out at 6am. I don't eat before hand but I'm only doing 20 mins (30DS) at the moment so it's not really that bad. I'm not sure I could face eating that early anyway.