No excuses

Options
oh, you think you have it tough? because you have trouble getting out there to work out? trying to find time is tough, yeah, but you have all you limbs.

This is Kyle Maynard. He's pleased to meet you.

kyle-maynard-3.jpg
slideshow_1001828782_maynarddoc.1108.doc-3.JPG

He was born a congenital amputee. But that wouldn't stop him from competing in high school wrestling, becoming a motivational speaker, MMA fighter, and currently owning and operating a crossfit gym in Georgia.

This is his latest story, about CLIMBING MOUNT EFFIN KILIMANJARO! Its long, but worth watching.
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7638580

He's currently preparing for an ironman competition.

Replies

• Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    C'mon now, PREACH! :happy: What an AWESOME guy! I began my Body for Life 12 weeks challenge after seeing a woman had completed it while in a wheelchair. I sat there thinking, "And what's my problem?!" You have no idea how lazy & crappy I felt. I had to buck up & take it by storm then! I'm currently training to run the Warrior Dash in September for my mom. She is a 3 time cancer survivor & I'm running in her honor.

Great post. I love it!
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    From RunnersWorld.com -

Emily LeVan Age: 35
    Qualifying Time: 2:37:01

On November 5, 2007, just a few hours after LeVan registered for the Olympic Trials, her family physician called with devastating news: LeVan's daughter, Maddie, then 3, had leukemia.

LeVan, her husband, Brad Johnson, and Maddie left their home in Wiscasset, Maine, for Barbara Bush Children's Hospital in Portland, where for the next 10 days, doctors and nurses worked to raise Maddie's blood counts high enough for her to begin chemotherapy.

LeVan ran a few times in Portland, but in those early, anguished days, she figured the Trials were out of the question. Brad and Maddie had other ideas. They had been talking about "Mom's big race" for a while, and they decided as a family that LeVan would keep training.

"I don't think I needed a lot of convincing," she says, "but I did need to know that everyone was on board. Training requires a lot of sacrifice from them, and I didn't want to compromise Maddie's treatment." Now the family fits in Maddie's weekly chemo appointments around their already jam-packed schedule.

LeVan works 12 hours a week as an emergency-room nurse, and they live on a small organic farm, where Brad works full-time. Maddie is responding well to the treatment and returned to preschool in January.

The cure rate for her form of the disease is 85 to 90 percent, and if all goes well, she'll be healthy again after two to three years of chemo. LeVan has launched a Web site (twotrials.org) to raise money for childhood cancer treatment and track both their journeys. She's running 90 miles a week, knowing that her marathon in April is the easier one by far.

Follow her lead: "It's hard to get out the door some mornings after a night of little sleep. But I feel energized physically and mentally afterward, and I am much better prepared to attack the day."
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    buuuuuuuuump
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I was going to make some sort of sarcastic comment making an excuse about why I couldn't click to view this post but instead I'm going to be sensible and say thank you for sharing it :)
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    BUMP. great post, and he's pretty hot.:blushing: Is that weird?:ohwell: lol
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    :heart: it!
    thanks for sharing..
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    He is incredible!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    And now I will definitely be hitting the gym after work. Thank you.
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Very motivating!
  • bademasi
    bademasi Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I don't like excuses. What motivation!

12908857.png
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Totally inspirational. So that old saying really is true... "If you really want it, you'll find a way; if you don't you will find an excuse".
  • judy20in2011
    judy20in2011 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    From RunnersWorld.com -

Emily LeVan Age: 35
    Qualifying Time: 2:37:01

On November 5, 2007, just a few hours after LeVan registered for the Olympic Trials, her family physician called with devastating news: LeVan's daughter, Maddie, then 3, had leukemia.

LeVan, her husband, Brad Johnson, and Maddie left their home in Wiscasset, Maine, for Barbara Bush Children's Hospital in Portland, where for the next 10 days, doctors and nurses worked to raise Maddie's blood counts high enough for her to begin chemotherapy.

LeVan ran a few times in Portland, but in those early, anguished days, she figured the Trials were out of the question. Brad and Maddie had other ideas. They had been talking about "Mom's big race" for a while, and they decided as a family that LeVan would keep training.

"I don't think I needed a lot of convincing," she says, "but I did need to know that everyone was on board. Training requires a lot of sacrifice from them, and I didn't want to compromise Maddie's treatment." Now the family fits in Maddie's weekly chemo appointments around their already jam-packed schedule.

LeVan works 12 hours a week as an emergency-room nurse, and they live on a small organic farm, where Brad works full-time. Maddie is responding well to the treatment and returned to preschool in January.

The cure rate for her form of the disease is 85 to 90 percent, and if all goes well, she'll be healthy again after two to three years of chemo. LeVan has launched a Web site (twotrials.org) to raise money for childhood cancer treatment and track both their journeys. She's running 90 miles a week, knowing that her marathon in April is the easier one by far.

Follow her lead: "It's hard to get out the door some mornings after a night of little sleep. But I feel energized physically and mentally afterward, and I am much better prepared to attack the day."

I live right outside of that town. It's a great inspiration. We have a few around here.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    This is so inspirational.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    YES! I watched a story on ESPN about him the other day. After watching that and then watching the Reebok Crossfit competition, I sincerely felt like a lame *kitten* loser that needed to get my *kitten* in the gym!
  • stephensmith0929
    Options
    This is ANOTHER guy with no excuses!! Amazing guy and video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prs6r5zh5X4
  • Mom_4_More_Muscles
    Options
    Wow!!!! Just..... WOW!!! What an inspiration that young man is!! Thank you for sharing this and reminding me just how blessed I really am. :happy:
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm totally awestruck. That guy is amazing! We should all be done making excuses, if he doesn't.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    WOW!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    pure awesomesauce
  • SandyMilton
    SandyMilton Posts: 130
    Options
    Now this is amazing! Thanks for sharing!