Exercise Time for Hockey

Options
This is probably a stupid question, but here goes.

When I use the MFP tool to calculate my calorie burn it tells me that in one hour of ice hockey I burn something like 942 calories. My wife thinks that seems really high, but I tell her that's what the tool says, so that's what it is. I don't necessarily consume all those calories back so I'm not worried about that. I'm really just curious as to how accurate that number might be.

Should I be deducting the rest time when I am on the bench?

Is 942 calories in an hour of ice hockey reasonable for a 255 lb guy?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be counting the time you are on the bench because it is measuring the amount of time you are actively playing. A HRM would be a better way to judge how much you really burn.
  • Guardien
    Guardien Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I've had the same question in my mind when it comes to some activities. How likely is it that at just under 220, I burn around 150 calories shoveling some snow for 15 minutes?
    As far as your hockey, Burke, is that an hour game or an hour of ice time? How intense is your skating? Are you a "skater" or a goalie? Depending on the answers, I'd say it is very possible. As a hockey player myself, I know how it is...sprint, stop, sprint, stop. It is a type of interval training which does burn more calories than a consistant pace.
    Go with the estimated time you spend skating around. Input that number of minutes, and you will probably think the calorie burn appears more realistic.
  • jlburke2
    jlburke2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am assuming the 942 is overestimating. The time is probably closer to 45-50 minutes total. Exertion wise, I go pretty hard. Out of breath on the bench, heart going strong, sweating like crazy.

Maybe a HRM is the way to go.
  • PaulaLL63
    PaulaLL63 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also play hockey, and I have wondered the same thing. You are doing sprints for about 45 seconds to a minute during a game. But when on the bench during your recovery time your heart rate is still up, so how do you calculate the actual amount of exercise time. If you had 10 45 second shifts, you only had about 7 1/2 minutes. Practices are a little different, but you still have recovery time in between skating. In the past, if I skate in a game for an hour I would put 20-30 minutes down. But it would be nice to get an accurate equivalent.
  • jlburke2
    jlburke2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I just put down the hour but keep in my head that the 943 calories it says I've burned are way over estimated. I've been thinking about using a heart rate monitor while playing but I don't have one and I don't know that they would work with all the equipment. I've heard some of them don't have very strong signals and that the equipment might block it.