Gained 3 lbs over night and didnt eat bad and worked out thi

Hi everyone. I had a great weekend of eating and working out and last week I lost a pound. This morning I get on the scale and I've gained 3 lbs!!! I did do a long run on Saturday and another good workout on Sunday. I heard that when muscles are fatigued they absorb more water to aid in the healing process. So its normal too if you have exhausted your muscles to weight a bit more for a day or so. Has anyone else heard of this too??? I'm not getting discouraged, as I've been losing inches. But just wondering if this is right? I'm chugging the water today to help with this "water weight"

Replies

• lucyford22
    lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
    If I have any muscle soreness I don't go near a scale. For me personally, when I am sore, I can gain up to about 5 lbs. Totally normal. Just be sure to drink lots of water today.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Calm down...you didn't gain 3 pounds overnight. You'd had to have consumed over 10,000 calories to do that. :wink:

I'm sure it is water weight. I'd only check the scale once a week.
  • dbutorac
    dbutorac Posts: 120
    I feel the same way, I gained a lb & I felt like I did everything right. Maybe it is water weight. Maybe tomorrow you will lose 3 lbs.
  • kmp14
    kmp14 Posts: 3 Member
    Might be the scale too. Cheap ones can be very inconsistent. I have one that give 2-3LBS different readings if I got off and then got back on.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Yes more than likely it's just water retention. I had a hard/heavy weight lifting session Fri and Sat then intense cardio yesterday and was up 5 lbs today even though everything else was in check. I've learned to only record a weight loss after a rest day, that's when my numbers seem to go down.
  • darias_mommy
    darias_mommy Posts: 127 Member
    Same thing happened to me. I lost 4 lbs, look tighter, clothes fit better, but the scale went up overnight! The only thing I can think of is too much salt intake. I don't use salt, but sometimes recipes do and the body retains because of it. Stay away from the scale, keep focused and praise yourself for the hard work. I know how hard it is to get down afetr something like that. I don't know how to add friends, but maybe you could add me. We sound similar.
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Hi everyone. I had a great weekend of eating and working out and last week I lost a pound. This morning I get on the scale and I've gained 3 lbs!!! I did do a long run on Saturday and another good workout on Sunday. I heard that when muscles are fatigued they absorb more water to aid in the healing process. So its normal too if you have exhausted your muscles to weight a bit more for a day or so. Has anyone else heard of this too??? I'm not getting discouraged, as I've been losing inches. But just wondering if this is right? I'm chugging the water today to help with this "water weight"

Step away from the scale :-) I actually had my husband hide the scale, so I focus on things like inches, how I feel, how clothes fit. I will weigh in about once a week still, but that's it. Sounds like you're on the right track mentally, like other posters have commented give your muscles time to recover. Protein and water today!
  • Beatrix0810
    Beatrix0810 Posts: 138
    OMG THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS!

I weighed myself last week at 129, went to boot camp yesterday and woke up SORE today. Weighed myself this morning at the gym and it read 133 lbs! That really hurt my feelings. I'm going to pound the liquids all day today and tomorrow and see if that normalizes over the remainder of the week....
  • michellerae423
    michellerae423 Posts: 2 Member
    go on facebook or twitter to my health page http://www.facebook.com/#!/MeechsMotivation or @meechrae