Pilates... good workout?

Options
What is everyone's thoughts on pilates? Do you think its a good workout?

Replies

• Summer5555
    Summer5555 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I do pilates at the end of my workout week, I find it just stretches everything particularly my legs that have been pounded all week through running and the gym. I'm the type that if you aren't sweating then you're not working out but sometimes the day after a pilates class I am sore! My legs have never felt better and my core is a lot stronger. Pilates is definately a good workout.
  • vzucco
    vzucco Posts: 229
    Options
    It isn't going to burn a ton of calories but it will definitely shape your body, especially if you are looking to build lean not bulky muscle. Each exercise has a stretch and strength portion which is what makes pilates so unique and awesome. Do it regularly and try as hard as you can and you will notice results. I also think it's really relaxing and challenging at the same time. Good luck!
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I love it! If I miss a week, I feel like my body is out of alignment. My teacher adds cardio and ballet to our class so that our heartrates stay up.

If you had babies, pilates will help you get your body back in shape.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I will do it sometimes at night to relax.
    I like working on being more flexible, but I dont think it burns many calories.
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I love Pilates!
  • Amberchalon
    Amberchalon Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE Pilates--if you instant stream for NetFlicks-- try the 10 Minute Pilates Solution
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    just did it for the first time today. It was an advanced class. It was pretty tough. I was sweaty and felt like my legs were jello!
  • Justkf
    Justkf Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    The best work out ever and it does burn calories and continues to after because you are strength training. I do it twice a week and my body is in better shape then it was in my 20's, except for the layer of fat I am trying to lose.....but I am smaller at my current weight then I was 10 pounds lighter 15 years ago.

20 pounds to go!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    The best work out ever and it does burn calories and continues to after because you are strength training. I do it twice a week and my body is in better shape then it was in my 20's, except for the layer of fat I am trying to lose.....but I am smaller at my current weight then I was 10 pounds lighter 15 years ago.

20 pounds to go!
    what she said ^ ^ Most definitely! :drinker: I find it's a terrific workout, perhaps it's the instructor that you originally have that makes it or breaks it for you. I've found it to be quite challenging but in a very good way.. after a Pilates class I feel it!

My body love Pilates, probably why I do.:tongue:
  • jbakerak
    jbakerak Posts: 76
    Options
    I did palates a few years ago or so, and they work! Hard to keep up, but if you can it's worth it!
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    It's not a high calorie burn, but it's a great workout!
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I am a firm believer in pilates and yoga. I have had back pain for 13 years and since i've been doing pilates, it's pretty much gone.
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    :happy: I lurvvvv pilates. do a 10 min workout and tomorrow youll feel it!! But its kind of like yoga for me relaxing and such.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I love it :) my doctor gave it to me as I have very bad posture due to scoliosis and it has helped improve my posture and core tremendously!
  • lsilly15
    lsilly15 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!!!!