Just need a "you'll be ok" :-/

Options
First of all, my food diary is private, and I really intend to keep it that way. I don't want to be criticized if I've gone over by a few for anything, so this makes that easier LOL. I thought I was doing well. I have lost 10 pounds as of last week over about a month's time. May not seem like much, but to me, it was a small success :-) I can see the difference in my arms/armpits - if that makes sense. I see a slight difference in my face as well (neck/chin area), my stomach is starting to get more "flat".

All this said, my upper stomach area seems to be the same. It does feel "tighter" and not as flabby, and my chest seems to be getting a bit smaller too. Is this one of the harder areas to lose the inches from? I just don't want to be discouraged about it all. I see progress but then other things sometimes seem like it's not budging :-/

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    My favorite weight loss quote: You didn't get heavy in one day/week/month.....you won't lose it all in a day/week/month either.

You're doing great. In fact, you are doing a lot better than most. 10lbs is quite a loss and if you are seeing a difference in other areas of your body, that's great too.
    The stomach can be one of the hardest places to lose weight/inches. You need to do exercises that target your core to get the results that you want.

You'll be ok :)
  • legacysh
    legacysh Posts: 464
    Options
    Just keep at it. Some of those nagging areas are the last to go, but they do go!
  • Jamiewoodle
    Jamiewoodle Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I completely understand wanting to keep your diary private. I chose to let mine be public with a little fear that I might get criticized but have actually found that my friends on here are actually VERY supportive and not negative at all! So...you're wondering why the scale has quit moving?
    First of all, You'll be ok :wink:
    don't give up! The scale has it's slow moments for everyone. My I ask what your average calorie goal is? I'm only asking because it's quite common for people to eat way too few calories and then get stuck because their body is fighting for survival (that's what happened to me on 1200cal/day) I lost 10lbs then stalled out until I upped my intake.
    *You shouldn't eat less than your BMR (cals burned at rest) mine is about 1400.
  • hopefloatsup
    hopefloatsup Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the support :-)

I had that problem to begin with for my calorie intake. I wasn't seeing any results at all, plus I had NO energy and wasn't feeling well either. Hubby was actually the one who told me I needed to eat more because 1200 calories weren't enough. I did my BMR and it was a lot higher...1800/day. I literally started calorie counting one day and cut it to 1200 instantly. I am quite sure I was probably eating about 3000 calories per day before this. Once I raised it up to 1800, I felt better and started seeing results within a few days. I'm also PMS'ing this week, so being a newbie, I don't know if this has an impact or not?
  • swekmom
    swekmom Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I for one think 1200 calories is too low for many people! I am supposed to be taking in 1500 or so and only losing 1 pound a week but since I started a week ago I have lost 2 pounds - and I don't feel like I am starving myself which means I am more likely to stick with it. Keep your chin up and you will start seeing the results you want. We all tend to be more critical of ourselves than anyone else is!!
  • Jamiewoodle
    Jamiewoodle Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My weight loss always slows on the scale around that time of month. I see the most change a week after my period. Hang in there! Keep your eye on the big picture. Sometimes I find myself living week to week inbetween weigh ins. Then I realize, even if it takes a year to lose 30lbs, I'm NOT going to quit! You can do it!!!
  • MizAngie
    MizAngie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    you'll be ok, infact you are better then ok.
    I didn't even know I could keep my food diary private or that it was open to everyone to read. If my friends take the time to read what Im eating and push me to drink more water I would be fine with that. Ive had some fantastic days where I was just under my calorie limit, and there was a couple of days where all I can say is I had an outer brain experience and i over ate.

Don't be hard on yourself if your not moving fast enough in the loss. I keep telling myself that if I can keep loosing a little bit at a time Im still moving forward. I don't have a time limit. It took me a couple of years to get this big, it might take me longer then 2 years to loose it.
  • andrucifer
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing great! 10 lbs in a month is success! I have always heard you can tell when people first lose weight you see it in their face! My mom says you lose it in your chest and rear first.... boooooo! (Her predictions have held true for me) Great job and continued success!
  • hopefloatsup
    hopefloatsup Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the boost of confidence! I definitely needed it today :-) THIS is why this site is extremely helpful and motivating. Everyone seems to be there for each other when someone feels like they're starting to fall. Thank you all again!
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I believe genetics plays a big role in where you will lose from first. For a lot of people it seems to be the case that the place you put it on first will be your last place to lose from, you body 'likes' the fat there best. But if you are consistent, eventually you will lose all over.

Personally I tend to gain pretty evenly around my body, which means I can gain 10 lbs and still be in the same jean size. And most people don't really notice. But the flip side is also true, I can lose 10 pounds no one (but me) will really notice either - and still be in that same size jeans.