If you find it difficult to eat up to 1200 per day...

Options
I have to ask, what do you eat?

I'm a returnee, and when I was here last I had a 1200 calorie limit, and I found it very difficult to stay within that. I was very hungry and would get headaches, etc.

If you sincerely feel full on 1200 or less, I would love a peek at your food diaries and any tips you can give me. I would especially love to hear from people who started out feeling hungry on 1200 but then adapted.

Thank you so much! I appreciate your input!

Replies

• DeborahStanley
    DeborahStanley Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am on 1200 per day, managing ok with the food & exercising as well. My food diary isn't on here as I'm on another site as well & can't find time to fill it all in twice.
    The plan I follow is the Biggest Loser which is basically calorie counting. The portions seemed small at first - very small - but strangely for the first time on any diet I seem to have got used to them. Eating little & often seems to be the answer & filling up on lots of salad veg means I haven't been really hungry. Yes I've been 'nice' hungry you know when you fancy something that isn't on any diet but not starving. The food has also been normal which makes life alot easier, proper balanced meals with small portions which is something else I haven't done well in the past, slimming world worked for a while for me but I ate far too much of the free foods which did me no favours at all.
    The only downside is that I am very tired and falling asleep by about 9.30pm which means that I keep missing the end of my favourite programmes so I record them & watch them earlier in the day lol.
  • Hopelessbird
    Options
    I struggle to eat 1200 a day. I end up eating far less than that per day because of a combination of 1)history of anorexia/bulimia in my teens and 2) the volume of fresh veg/food I have to eat to meet my calories is too much. 6 cups of veg = 1 slice pizza. My jaw hurts just thinking about chewing 6 cups worth of food.

I almost completely cut out rice, breads, pastas and potatoes our of my diet - made me a little weak for a few days until my body got acclimated to the lower sugar.

Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs (egg whites only)+1 cup blackberries/strawberries+1 laughing cow cheese+black coffee=~150 cals
    Snack: sugar free jello+2 cups celery = 30 cals
    Lunch: mix greens salad+2 oz chicken breast+veg+balsamic vinegar = ~300-400 cals
    post workout snack: 1 pear/banana/apple = 100
    ~600-700 calories

Dinner varies, I prefer to post pictures instead. By the end of the day, I sometimes I have to drink 2-3 cups of skim milk to reach 1200 calories.
  • MuffyTopps
    Options
    Hopelessbird, I think I would be miserable...is the hunger always with you? Does it distract you?
  • Hopelessbird
    Options
    Actually, rarely hungry. I am never starving and never full. Just satiated. That post workout craving is killer, I need to eat a piece of fruit before I get hungry/cranky.

The reduction of sugars is tough! I got headaches and cranky all the time. Luckily, this only lasts 4-5 days.
  • monicaroozo
    monicaroozo Posts: 200
    Options
    It can be tough to stay within 1200 but when you focus on proteins it makes it a lot easier. Egg whites, greek yogurts, fruits, veggies etc. My diary is open to my connections, feel free to add me. Adding exercise helps makes me feel a lot better, even just adding 200 calories of exercise gives me the room to eat up to 1400 calories & this mentally helps takes the stress off!
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I usually eat around 1200 per day and sometimes find it hard to reach 1200 because I am just not hungry.
  • bulletprooff
    Options
    1200 is easier the more fresh food you eat and the more exercise you do, to add in extra calories.

Switching from unhealthy habits to 1200/day with no exercise is terrible and will be VERY hard.
  • burg1801
    burg1801 Posts: 124
    Options
    Why not eat 1500 calories and burn off 300 to gain your net for the day? That's been working for me. I agree with bulletprooff that 1200 without exercise can be absolute torture.
  • Mommareed4
    Mommareed4 Posts: 144
    Options
    I can normally eat 1200 just fine but I have a hard time netting 1200..I usually burn anywhere from 600-900 cals a day with exercise (except for free day). Alot of the time I am lucky if I net 1000...I am working on it though, I upped my calorie intake to 1400 hoping that helps raise the net of 1200 or more.
  • MuffyTopps
    Options
    Why not eat 1500 calories and burn off 300 to gain your net for the day? That's been working for me. I agree with bulletprooff that 1200 without exercise can be absolute torture.

OMG. That's so...sensible!! Thanks for the advice.
  • MuffyTopps
    Options
    I usually eat around 1200 per day and sometimes find it hard to reach 1200 because I am just not hungry.

Yes, but why do you think you aren't hungry? What do you eat to keep yourself full and under 1200? Do you drink tea all day or?
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Options

This is what I do. I also try to eat nutrionally dense foods and havea protein every time I eat anything. It keeps me full longer so I don't go off on a nosh!

Kristine
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    @Muffytopps - I am constantly drinking water.. my diary says usually about 9 glasses a day but it's even more because I don't count the water I drink during exercise. That is the only thing I can think of...