Body pump class at goodlife fitness

Options
Anyone know what to put into the exercise diary for the full 60 min body pump workout at GoodLife Fitness? I have no idea what to put in lol

Replies

• lynus85
    lynus85 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    love this class! i alwasy just put "strength training ( weight lifting)" under the cardio section.
  • Ruthaw1961
    Ruthaw1961 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I wear a heart rate monitor during class and my calorie burn can range from 350-500 depending on the release being led. Today we were back on BP 41 and I think my HRM showed a 360 cal burn while the newer releases have the higher burn rates. The releases that have the heavier squat, back and lunge tracks will get your HR up there and you will burn more cals. I checked out putting the "strength training (weight lifting)" option and it would underestimate for me by about 100 cals for today's class. Not sure if all that was much help...
  • Crystal155
    Options
    Okay thanks for the tips guys! We did an older track today too! They are by far my favorite workouts :)
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    love this class! i alwasy just put "strength training ( weight lifting)" under the cardio section.

Body pump isn't strength training... Its aerobic based, strength training is anaerobic.
  • catic
    catic Posts: 156
    Options

Body pump isn't strength training... Its aerobic based, strength training is anaerobic.

It's a toning/cardio class.
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I'd enter MFP's amount. Better to be under than over....People burn at such different rates.
  • addisondisease2
    Options

Toning doesn't exist, please do more research before posting things that are not true.
  • catic
    Options

Toning doesn't exist, please do more research before posting things that are not true.

ya ok.
  • catic
    Options

Perhaps you should email goodlife and tell them this then. Copied directly from their web site:

BODYPUMP™ is the original barbell class that shapes, tones and strengthens your entire body
    Often referred to as ‘Pump' by those who love it, it's one of the world's fastest ways to get in shape. This 60-minute addictive workout challenges all of your major muscle groups by using the best weight-room exercises such as squats, presses, lifts and curls. The key to BODYPUMP™ is THE REP EFFECT™, a breakthrough in fitness training focusing on high repetition movements with low weight loads. This will help you achieve strength and introduce lean body muscle conditioning. With the latest chart topping music, highly trained instructors and your choice of weight, get the results you are looking for – and fast!
    Like all the LES MILLS™ programs, a new BODYPUMP™ class is released every three months with new music tracks and choreography.
  • catic
    Options
    BODYPUMP™ is designed to transform your body by developing strength and endurance in major muscle groups and, in doing so, burn calories and tone your body.
  • addisondisease2
    Options
    HAHAH OH MY GOD THANK YOU FOR THE LAUGH!

Did you really just quote the company selling "toning" to prove that toning exists? Why don't you do some research instead of only listening to the person selling the product.

It is physically impossible to tone a muscle. You can look toned, but you can't physically tone. You can only build maintain or destroy muscle, you can not tone.
  • addisondisease2
    Options
    This workout challenges all of your major muscle groups by using the best weight-room exercises such as ......curls.

OMG please tell me you are just trolling me.
  • catic
    Options
    HAHAH OH MY GOD THANK YOU FOR THE LAUGH!

Did you really just quote the company selling "toning" to prove that toning exists? Why don't you do some research instead of only listening to the person selling the product.

It is physically impossible to tone a muscle. You can look toned, but you can't physically tone. You can only build maintain or destroy muscle, you can not tone.

Yep I quoted the web site. Why wouldn't I?
    Secondly I've done tons of research on all types of strength/cardio etc etc. Perhaps you should follow your own advice?
  • addisondisease2
    Options
    Secondly I've done tons of research on all types of strength/cardio etc etc. Perhaps you should follow your own advice?

Oh you have? If I am wanting to improve my oly lifts should i do high bar back squat or low bar?

If you've really done research you would know that muscle toning is a myth.
  • catic
    Options

Oh you have? If I am wanting to improve my oly lifts should i do i high bar back squat or low bar?

I see no point in arguing with idiocy such as yours. :)
  • addisondisease2
    Options

Oh you have? If I am wanting to improve my oly lifts should i do i high bar back squat or low bar?

I see no point in arguing with idiocy such as yours. :)

>Says she's done tons of research
    >Ask her for educational opinion
    >OMG IDK LOL

Don't lie to the MFP community, toning doesn't exist.
  • Ruthaw1961
    Ruthaw1961 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Body Pump is a great metabolic workout that focuses on muscle endurance. Might not be traditional strength training and anyone interested in Body Building will not appreciate this class. It does help with retention of lean muscle mass while eating at a calorie deficit and is awesome, IMO, esp for people who would not do any other weight training. If you want to build muscle, you will need to supplement with traditional strength training.

**Edited to add that I am a Pump fan and take this class twice a week along with the rest of the Les Mills lineup. Yup, I am a Les Mills and group exercise junkie!**
  • addisondisease2
    Options
    Thank you for that ^
  • catic
    Options
    yeah if you interesting in body building body pump is not what you want to do. But I don't beleive I said body pump is a great muscle building class.
  • addisondisease2
    Options
    yeah if you interesting in body building body pump is not what you want to do. But I don't beleive I said body pump is a great muscle building class.

That didn't make a whole lot of sense, could you re-type that...

You didn't say body pump was great muscle building, but you did say it was a "toning" class, and I let you know that toning doesn't exist.