Yoga

Options
I am looking for a good yoga DVD. Which one is the best and where can I buy it.

Replies

• crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have one called Iron Yoga. I like it well enough. Got it online.
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I personally like to follow the yoga that comes on the wii game "My Fitness Coach", it takes you through the movements and supplies a good image to watch / copy - and you don't end up doing the same thing time and again because it changes things up each time for you :)
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I took out a whole bunch from the library to see which ones I would like better. I think it's a personal preference but I am new to yoga. At least this way you can try different ones for free before you make the purchase.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I took out a whole bunch from the library to see which ones I would like better. I think it's a personal preference but I am new to yoga. At least this way you can try different ones for free before you make the purchase.

This is so true!

There are soooo many varieties of yoga. I'm not an expert; I just know what I like. Hatha (stretching, relaxing) yoga is my favorite. This is not a big calorie burner, but it still works flexibility & balance

I had a Netflix membership for rentals .... renting yoga videos was VERY helpful. This prevented me from wasting a lot of money. Some videos that I rented...... I just hated.

Hatha videos I like -
    AM Yoga for Your Week by Rodney Yee. This has 5 - 25 minute workouts. One is standing, one is twisting, another is hip openers, etc. very good when you don't have a lot of time. The "yoga" speak took me awhile to get used to ...... think of phrases like "relax your temple skin"

Yoga Body Makeover by Sara Ivanhoe. This is 5- 20 minute workouts, plus a 40 minute yoga on the ball. This is a bargain on Amazon. Sara talks just like a "regular" person. This was the first yoga video I used regularly. Great starter video.

Power yoga - this will burn more calories. You will sweat a little. I personally don't like the "choreographed" where everything is linked kind of thing. Finding DVDs in this area is new for me. So far, I like ......

Element Yoga for Weight Loss is challenging. Ashley Turner is pretty good. This has 2 workouts.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    There are also a lot on Netflix if you have a DVD subscription, and you can see previews of different videos at collagevideo.com. There are many different styles of yoga (hatha, power yoga, kundalini, etc.), and what's best for one person may not be to someone else's taste.
  • bubblicious84
    bubblicious84 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've been doing free yoga videos from www.doyogawithme.com and I love them! My favorites are the ones by Fiji McAlpine.
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I have a youtube playlist that I use a lot, look for Sadie Nardini. She does a whole heap of yoga for flexibility, yoga for strength and yoga for relaxation tutorials. I have a bunch of videos 'glued' together on a memory stick I plug straight into the tv. Its free, easy to set up and works like a charm!
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    I personally like to follow the yoga that comes on the wii game "My Fitness Coach", it takes you through the movements and supplies a good image to watch / copy - and you don't end up doing the same thing time and again because it changes things up each time for you :)

i may have to try this...i love my wii sports, zumba and just dance:bigsmile:
  • Schula03
    Schula03 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I've been doing free yoga videos from www.doyogawithme.com and I love them! My favorites are the ones by Fiji McAlpine.

Didn't think of doing that....I am also going to give it a try! Thanks:flowerforyou:
  • Schula03
    Schula03 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I haven't found one I love, but want to as well!!!
  • SilverStrychnine
    SilverStrychnine Posts: 413 Member
    Options

Fiji McAlpine!!!!!!!!!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • chunk1691
    chunk1691 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    i agree with the other lady, wii yoga is fantastic and you can really feel it working.
  • dimplez711
    Options
    Seane Corn's Vinyasa Flow Yoga is great, and her short intro really helps to get you in the right mindset for a good yoga practice.

I do recommend trying with a teacher first if you can. I know it's not always an option for everyone, and some take a while to get comfortable with it. But having someone be able to push and pull you into the postures correctly, or show you how to make adjustments for your size/flexibility can be a really big help, and keeps you from getting hurt.
  • RaeByerley
    Options
    Thanks that's a great idea.