Cheap, Easy, Low Sodium, Office Lunches

petervj
petervj Posts: 1
edited September 19 in Food and Nutrition
I'm sure this question has been brought up many times but I'm search for lunches to take or make at work that's not in can or frozen that's healthy and filling. Money is always a concern and I can't have anything with lots of sodium. Any ideas for a daily office lunch?

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Salads. You can add all sorts of stuff. Veggies, meats cheeses.

Pockets: Wheat pocket breads with sprouts, hummus and vegies.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Leftovers rock! :glasses: Or salad with boiled chicken breast, any veggies, hardboiled eggs, scrambled eggs in the microwave, cereal, tortillas (eggs or chicken)... That's some stuff I eat at work. I'll post more if I think of some.

Be creative!
  • Of course sandwiches... along with fresh fruit. Apples, Bananas, and Peaches all travel really well. Packs of apple sauce and pineapple in its own juice and some other canned fruit don't necessarily have sodium.. check the packages. You can also buy tortillas and make wraps.

What you really need is some good tupperware. You can cook on the weekends normal meals, pop them in tupperware, and take them to work all week. Or just whenever you DO cook, make a little extra to take to work the next day. Throw a salad in some tupperware but keep the dressing in a separate small container or bring it to work to use often.

I also like to bring Kashi granola bars, light string cheese, yogurt cups, peanut butter to dip my apples in, sometimes a little baggie of cheerios - sliced almonds - and dried cranberries. Those are a few options! :smile:
  • i tried one of the the new Starkist Tuna Creations at lunch today and it was really good! Very easy!

(140 cal - 26g protein) 1 Pack Starkist Albacore Creations - Tomato Pesto
    (100 cal - 4g protein - 22 carbs) 1 Arnold Selects Multigrain Sandwich Thin
    (5 cal) Lettuce

245 calories, protein packed so its very filling!
  • edleim
    edleim Posts: 81 Member
    My favorites are:

Black Beans, Greek Yogurt, Salsa, Avocado in a Whole Wheat Tortilla

Hummus, Avocado, Sprouts, Spinach in a Whole Wheat Tortilla or Whole Wheat Pita

I usually buy the ingredients and then just eat the same thing alternating for that week

You can get all these ingredients plus some fresh fruit for under $20 and since they are vegetarian they pretty much last all week without going bad.
This discussion has been closed.