Weight Loss Supplements

Options
I'm just curious....

Has anybody had success with weight loss supplements? I know there is no substitute for doing the work of exercise and better nutrition, but is there something else out there that helps and really works without any bad effects? I've kind of hit a plateau that I'd like to break through. Thanks for the help!

Replies

• mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Have you tried switching things up in order to break your plateau? Changing the types of foods you eat, the calories you eat, the type and intesity of exercise you do? Those will help break plateaus. One thing I have heard that works really well to break a plateau is eating at your maintanence calories for a week or two than drop back down to weight loss of 0.5 - 1 lbs per week.

I've heard a lot of bad things about weight loss and personally I would never take them. I took them once and they were terrible.
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    There is nothing out there with "no side effects". Make sure the calories you eat are healthy, drink lots of water and maybe start lifting. Muscle eats away at cals and fat. If you want to take something, take protein cause this will cub appetite and help build muscle.
  • jadamuriel76
    jadamuriel76 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I took RX diet pills (phentermine) for about 2 or 3 months about two years ago. My body did have to get used to them but I did have great success with them, losing more than my goal weight and kept it off. Keep in mind I went to a medical clinic which monitored and guided me, I do not have any medical issues and was not considered obese, just slightly overweight. Also, I kept to my calorie count (was 1100 caloie diet) and an excercise routine 4 to 5 days a week with lots of cardio. I had not gained any weight back, excercised very little, and ate whatever I wanted just monitored my portions. Only recently (3 months ago) did I gain 10 pounds after beginning a contraceptive injection. Now I am trying to shed those 10 pounds and then simply maintain.

They are not for everyone, but I can tell you that if you are pretty healthy they are an option that work in connection with diet and excercise.

Good Luck!
  • future_marathoner
    future_marathoner Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Yes I take an all natural supplement. I started taking it after I had lost about 20 lbs... I'm at 70 lbs down now. i dont use things that have caffeine or chemicals because I feel that it will hurt my heart or make me gain it back once I stop taking them. What I use is all natural- boosts your metabolism and helps burn more calories. It has a hot cayenne pepper blend in it that helps too.
  • FainJ
    FainJ Posts: 25
    Options
    @ Brittanywinel, what is the name of the supplement that you take?
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Yes I take an all natural supplement. I started taking it after I had lost about 20 lbs... I'm at 70 lbs down now. i dont use things that have caffeine or chemicals because I feel that it will hurt my heart or make me gain it back once I stop taking them. What I use is all natural- boosts your metabolism and helps burn more calories. It has a hot cayenne pepper blend in it that helps too.

Just because it's natural doesn't mean it's good for you or doesn't have side effects.
  • gandydancer
    gandydancer Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hi, I HAD sucess with weiht loss supplements but the weight came back, so I went back to the clinic and started over again...Honestly the only thing I can say is that I then took them for 7 months, they curtailed my appetite somewhat but I aate junk food so lost a little bit of weight but started to lose my hair, so I quit...am not too overweight need to lose about 7 lbs but might as well be 70 as I can't get anywhere...have started eating healthier and always did exercise but so far nothing, would love some suggestions.
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    Yes, every time i'm on a cutting phase, i use them. Always 100% success
    why? because my diet and training is 100% top notch. and that is what is required
    when you take these things. The only reason the weight came back is because
    when you stopped taking the supplements, you got lazy again most likely and started slacking off.
    that is all, sounds harsh, but that's a reality check for you.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I was reading Master your Metabolism and she was talking about how she screwed up her system with all the supplements or weird "diets". I've noticed too as I get older the hell I put my body through is now showing. Try to steer clear of supplements. Take a multi vitamin, maybe a super B complex, but anything else should be through a doctor.

Tor your plateau, increase your calories by a couple hundred for 3-4 days then go a couple hundred under your original amount, but only if you are eating somewhere between 1500 and 2000. right now. If you are eating less than 1500, your body might be in starvation mode. Exercise 20-30 min of cardio 3 or more times a week with 30 min of weight lifting.

You'll make if over the plateau, just be patient.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious....

Has anybody had success with weight loss supplements? I know there is no substitute for doing the work of exercise and better nutrition, but is there something else out there that helps and really works without any bad effects? I've kind of hit a plateau that I'd like to break through. Thanks for the help!
    Lift some heavy weights. That increases RMR and should bust thorough your stall.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • michael300891
    Options
    Dont think theyve come up with any weight loss supplements that are effective without significant side affects yet... (could be wrong). However, you can increase metabolic rate (not by anywhere near as much as a simple exercise bout) with things like green tea, chilli and caffeine which will increase weight loss. However, exercise and proper nutrition will be much more effective =). Hope this helps, Mike.
  • FainJ
    FainJ Posts: 25
    Options
    Thanks folks. Good words of advice. Some different opinions out there. I admit, I went to the GNC and picked something up. I'll try it for 30 days.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options

Why am I freaked out that the product name wasn't mentioned? Paranoia, I suppose. :ohwell:
  • Strobins05
    Strobins05 Posts: 716
    Options
    I'm just curious....

Lift some heavy weights. That increases RMR and should bust thorough your stall.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ImJDLookatME
    Options
    Thanks folks. Good words of advice. Some different opinions out there. I admit, I went to the GNC and picked something up. I'll try it for 30 days.

What did you end up trying?
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    "There is nothing out there with "no side effects". "

^This. Maybe your diet is wrong. Try eating more good fat and protein. Try cutting out wheat. Try lifting weights and sprints. Exhaust everything natural before going to the pharmaceutical and man-made crap.
  • Lpruett7
    Lpruett7 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi! I take have had great success with a supplement ! Like you said you still need to watch your calores and exercise(which is where myfitness pal is a life saver ) but with me taking the symply magic it gave me a the boost of energy i needed to get exercising and supress my appetite! i can send you a invite to my group about the supplement or you can message me an i can give you more info or visit my wesite to get more info symmetrydirect.com/leonapruett thanks and good luck with your weight loss journey!-leona