What Motivated You!!!!

Options
What motivated you to want to lose weight? A few people do it for love, some for their kids, and health. What about you? I'm doing it for myself. I don't want to be same the same size I was in high school, but I don't like my size either. My size is depressing to me so I have decided to lose weight:smile:

Replies

• sgimpys
    sgimpys Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was motivated by a few factors. One comes a career change. I cant get a job as a federal agent being as big as I am. The second is health. Type 2 diabetes limits what I can eat. Ohhh and since I have been eating healthier, Ive been feeling better on a daily basis!!!
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Looking at holiday photos and seeing how pudgy I looked. I started running but wasn't losing weight, but then someone mentioned this site and off I went!
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I was just bored and needed something to do. It wasn't until I lost 30 or so pounds that I realized: "Hey, I kind of like how this is turning out" and got motivated to keep it up.
  • Pound4Pound13
    Options
    I'm at the heaviest I've ever been and I can FEEL it. I don't have as much energy as I used to. Plus I'm at the point where I find myself buying bigger clothes. Hopefully I'll be able to SAVE money along w/ the weight loss!
  • shells22
    shells22 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    SO many factors but the biggest reason was for me to be happy in my skin. I am overall a happy person but insecure. Losing weight, feeling good about myself, treating myself better in ways OTHER than food is my motivation.

Clothes- my best friend got me a sweater from Hollister and I never fit in there before and I do now- big motivation!

Going out- Instead of buying fast food and going out to eat, I save my money and treat myself to makeup, getting my hair styled, buying new smaller gym clothes etc when I hit my mini goals.

Holidays- I dreaded the holidays, now I actually look forward to them. I want to see my friends and family more than ever!

Hitting onederland- being under 200 pounds was such a big motivation that made me realize this is happening now and it's working. I never will be there. Ever.

My dog- she's my walking motivation :)

ALL of this is better than eating bad and not working out and feeling guilty and gross.
  • Hannova
    Hannova Posts: 50
    Options
    I couldn't do the things I wanted to do anymore - ride my bike, go hiking, swimming - without getting out of breath and I hated it. So I got pissed and now I'm losing weight.
  • Rosiered2
    Rosiered2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I started off doing it because my daughter is getting married this summer......and I have to go buy a mother-of-the-bride dress...actually going tonight........BUT that isn't why I do it NOW! Now, I am doing it because I am loving it with all my heart! I can breathe better, my endurance has gone way off the chart.......I am thoroughly enjoying exercise now!
  • Grace619
    Grace619 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Many things, but most recently, seeing a side view of myself at the table at a recent family dinner. I just couldn't quit staring at myself and wondering what I thought I was doing at that table eating more..... terrible, just terrible. Working on it. Love the motivation on this site! :)
  • MandyMcAwesome
    MandyMcAwesome Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    hahah. I was at a party and went to sit on the floor to pet the dog. When I sat, it went BOOM and I saw a few wide eyes.. Time to start loosing!
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    Had a son and got serious about my health. Diabetes runs heavy in the family and at my heaviest I was at 245, I'm only 26. I hated the way I looked and I couldn't do hardly anything. I hopped on this site after my dad lost 30 lbs even with COPD, about half his lung capacity, and just as overweight as I was. I stayed motivated when my dad introduced me to a trainer friend of his while I was visiting. He taught me some things I can do at home then one of the last days I was visiting he told me that he thought that in my heart that I was a quitter. I don't like being told I can't do something- so part of me does it out of spite and wanting to prove him wrong.
  • TLynn0568
    TLynn0568 Posts: 36
    Options
    More recently I did it because of a glance in the mirror from the side. It looked like my shoulders went straight into my head without any sort of definition around my neck... I just looked like a linebacker!

I also got motivation from a very good friend. She and I are classic over-indulgers and when she started losing weight and exercising it gave me the inspiration/motivation to do so as well.

So I suppose it's fair to say that initially appearance motivated me but now after having been doing it for almost 6 months (and down 40 lb) I'm doing it for me, for how I feel, not to mention setting a good example for my daughter.
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I was tired of no liking myself anymore.

15878158.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I was tired of no liking myself anymore.

15878158.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Frozenmango
    Frozenmango Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    For me, totally selfish reason of putting my health first for once :) i've spent many years putting my own health on the backburner while I pursued other things. That, and as I get older, I'm realizing how much I use food and my weight as a barrier to the things that I want most in this world, but am afraid of. My motivation is to finally be healthy overall, in mind, emotionally and physically. I realize that if I give up, I'm letting myself down and I deserve better than that - we all do!

That, and I can't wait to don a bikini and feel absolutely stunning in it! :D
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I was putting my Christmas photos up on Facebook and had to crop myself out of all of them because I looked too fat. lol. That was my changing moment.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Also.. I quit smoking over a year ago, I thought I'd add onto my newly healthy lifestyle.
  • tifarahmonteith
    tifarahmonteith Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am not so much on here to lose weight as to get my muscles back and feel better! I get pretty down during the winter months and I know that winter's I exercise regularly I feel so much happier in general! I was in the best shape of my life two years ago so when I think of how I looked and how I felt about myself at that time, I am inspired to get that back!
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    My blood pressure was 170/110 and I was winded, overweight and miserable. Looking at my day 0 pics at 151 motivates me!
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    The fact that was 19 and my back would bother me once I got off work was a HUGE motivator for me. That, along with being increasing unhappy with my body shape and insecure was enough to finally start doing something about it.
  • OsiViper
    OsiViper Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I always enjoyed going out to amusement parks, Six Flags, Universal, Disney World, Etc.
    There is also stuff i want to do that I have never done.. Climb a mountain, go Skydiving, bungee jumping, etc.

I want to be able to do all of this without having to wonder am I too fat to do this? or wonder what the maximum weight is for a ride or attraction.. I just want to be able to say "oh yea I want to do that!" and never have to think am i too fat? Will I break something?