Gaining instead of loosing

Options
Does anyone else have the issue of gaining weight instead of loosing it even though you stay below the calorie intake amount listed and exercise more than is perscribed? i'm beginning to get really frustrated. i have a lot of weight to loose and i just seem to be putting it on instead of taking it off.

Replies

• LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    What types of foods are you eating?

Lots of veggies, fruits, nuts, whole grains (brown rice, oats)?
  • linnebooc
    linnebooc Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Veggies, fruits, lean meats, chicken breasts
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I feel ya!
  • Changeisgonnacome
    Options
    Muscle is denser than fat and so if you are working out now, you may be increasing weight temporarily as the muscles build. Don't despair because that's actually a good thing. Muscles burn more calories that fat does so eventually you will start to drop.

My motto for the day. 'Patience in all things.'
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Are you logging everything including drinks and sauces and everything? Is your activity level set appropriately?
  • linnebooc
    Options
    yes and yes
  • dbg1
    dbg1 Posts: 208
    Options
    If you just started, give your body a chance to adjust. Its holding more to cover your calories/water your burning. After a week you should be good.
  • linnebooc
    Options
    Muscle is denser than fat and so if you are working out now, you may be increasing weight temporarily as the muscles build. Don't despair because that's actually a good thing. Muscles burn more calories that fat does so eventually you will start to drop.

That's what i thought but it's been a month. I thought surely by now I would start to loose something.
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You are probably gaining muscle, which is great!! The muscle will help you burn off that fat. If you check your body fat percentage, you may find that it has gone down.

Also, you mentioned that you are exercising more and eating less than recommended. Please see the post about eating your exercise calories. If you create too big of a deficit in the amount of calories your body needs, it will slow down metabolism and you will gain weight the unhealthy way. (Your body will process muscle for fuel and will slow down how many calories you burn regularly). Many people find that eating MORE actually helps them to drop the weight! Please read the posts that are stuck at the top of this message board to see if it applies to you.

Good luck!
  • Smeaders
    Smeaders Posts: 14
    Options
    :flowerforyou: i've been there and done that, and the hardest part is not giving up! I started out gaing, and i'll stop for about a week start over again, and stop again. It's really hard for to keep going if i can't see any progress! But keep going we'll make it there one day!
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Could you make your food diary public so everybody could see it? Maybe we could help more with some more information. We're all in this together and the great thing about this site is we all have the same goal - to be healthier - and we all want to help eachother get there. :flowerforyou:
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options

That's what i thought but it's been a month. I thought surely by now I would start to loose something.
    Did you take your measurments? Sometimes you'll lose inches, and not pounds.
  • linnebooc
    Options

Not yet. I need to go get a measuring tap. I think you might be right though. My cloths are fitting differently and that's why I got so excited because I thought I was loosing weight but when I got on the scale it showed I was actually more. So maybe things are just firming up still.
  • linnebooc
    Options
    Could you make your food diary public so everybody could see it? Maybe we could help more with some more information. We're all in this together and the great thing about this site is we all have the same goal - to be healthier - and we all want to help eachother get there. :flowerforyou:

I didn't know I could do that.

Did it now.
  • twotongal
    twotongal Posts: 12
    Options
    Hang the scale.

I was really happy one month lost a lot, I scale 1x a month and the next month i gained 20.
    I was floored, I checked everything 7 times mind you and could not find where it was, no lie in a matter of days of this "set back" my belly handles fell off 3/4 what they were, it really was like waking up to what happened?! where am I ????

The muscle will come, the scale will not be friendly to your need to see the pounds go down.
    Just keep at it, you know you are doing your exercise, and you know you are not cheating with food, so also know the pounds are changing for the good.

Have faith in yourself as your body does it's thing.
    For me when this happened, and later when it happened again, I went and hand scrubbed the floor, I find doing housework both mentally fills the need to punish myself for the unfriendly scale reading and adds to my exercising so it makes it good punishment.
  • Changeisgonnacome
    Options

Not yet. I need to go get a measuring tap. I think you might be right though. My cloths are fitting differently and that's why I got so excited because I thought I was loosing weight but when I got on the scale it showed I was actually more. So maybe things are just firming up still.

Don't get too excited though because, as you'll see in the thread titled bummed, Ocean_91 and I posted about the tape measure not being friendly. It seemed like it was shrinking along with us and so we measured the same for the longest time, yet our clothes was becoming too big. Weird. We figured out gravity was playing a part as we were losing but anyway, bottom line is keep at it! Lifestyle changes take time. Any quick fix will land you right back where you started... This will pay off.
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I gained at first also and felt the same way-bummed! But then I saw a friend who didn't know I was eating better and she was so happy for me, saying how great I was looking. Then I took an old photo and placed it next to a new one and wow! The scale and tape meter take a while to show, but look at a photo of yourself. My face was smaller and tummy smaller, I could really tell. Even though the scale still said I was a fat *kitten*, I knew I was going in the right direction.
  • linnebooc
    Options
    Well it looks like I was completely wrong. I've actually lost 15lbs. I don't know what was wrong with the scale I was using but I'm straight now. YAY!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    YAY! Remember to weigh first thing in the morning at the same time after bathroom :drinker:
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    15 POUNDS?! WHOA!! THAT IS AWESOME!!!! Go YOU!!! :bigsmile: