Struggling with fatigue & how many calories I should eat

Options
I'm struggling with fatigue lately & how many calories I should be getting. I'm 5'6" & about 137 lbs give or take depending on the day. I'm trying to tone up/lose weight after having a baby about 10 months ago. I'm also breastfeeding. I'm running about 3 days a week training for a May marathon. My scale has me at 31% body fat but I'm not sure if that is correct. Thanks!

Replies

• Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating and are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • beckys19
    beckys19 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have a home scale that supposedly reads body fat, but it's way off. Check with your Dr. about properly calculating your body fat % and your calorie needs (especailly since you're breastfeeding). Also, if properly adjusting your calorie intake does not help with the fatigue, talk with your dr about the possibility of hypothyroidism, especially if one of your family members has thyroid problems. After my 1st I felt really fatigued even months after he was born. I found out that often times it will show up after pregnancy. Eventually I had some bloodwork done, and I was borderline. Since I was exhibiting symptoms my Dr put me on Levothryoxine, and it has really helped.
  • Carebear530
    Carebear530 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I was eating 1610 but bumped it up to 1700. Recently I have just been eating what I feel & not tracking. I'm worried I'm not getting enough. I do have a dr appt Wednesday for blood work just in case. I eat back calories but not all of them on my long run days. With my long runs getting longer I don't always eat that much.
  • Carebear530
    Options
    Bump
  • momof2winsplus
    momof2winsplus Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Does MFP add back an additional 300 or so calories for BF? Each nursing session is like its own mini-workout. You may need to slow down your weight loss schedule to compensate.
  • madeinforks
    madeinforks Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    First of all you are breast feeding which takes 500 extra calories a day just to provide milk for baby..then add the 3 days a week running..and your 5'6 and 137? My goodness..no wonder you are tired! Eat girl!!!! you need more nutrtion and so does baby..If you are that active you don't have to worry..:)
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to eat more! And be sure to get plenty of lean protein, especially between your running days. It will help keep up your energy stores prior to a run, and will replenish them following. Need to keep up that muscle strength!
  • Carebear530
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I'm not trying to starve myself. I just don't know how much to eat. I'm sick of being tired & run down. I was 128-132.5 lbs before my pregnancy so I'm not looking to lose a ton of weight. I just want to tone up & feel good.