Protein powder (shakes) for girls. Any ladies swear by it?

Options
I recently lost some weight. I'm about where I would like to be weight-wise. I would love to tone and sculpt lean muscle to make myself appear even slimmer. I got some Pro Performance AMP Wheybolic Extreme 60 and was told to take 1 scoop after working out. Just curious how many women out there do this? From reading about it, it sounds like maybe more ladies should....

Replies

• badazz21
    badazz21 Posts: 1
    Options
    Protein powder can really be beneficial I swear by mine wheayabolic extreme is a good one. It will give you that hard tone look you're probably looking for and its a great meal replacer so it helps shed down some extra fat and really tones you up if taken correctly 45 minutes before a workout or immediately after preferably within an hour after working out..good luck on your journey
  • minimaggie
    minimaggie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I usually work out in the morning and make a protein smoothie when I get back from the gym as my breakfast.

1 scoop protein powder
    2 scoops GNC Womens Mega ( I have a hard time swallowing vitamins, the smell makes me sick)
    1/2 cup mixed frozen berries
    1/4 banana frozen
    1/4 cup greek fat free yogurt

Blend and enjoy.
  • khbutterfly
    khbutterfly Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    what brand of protein powder do you use?
  • skaboom163
    skaboom163 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Its refreshing to know I made a good decision. Badazz, thanks for friending me! thanks for the friendly advice Minimaggie, That sounds amazing! It actually makes me excited to go work out so I can eat my yummy shake!

I think protein powder has gotten a bad rep from the "male species" who use it to get "built". Weight/Strength training and protein seem essential for ladies for sculpting...once the initial weight comes off. When a lady turns some of the fat to muscle, she will create a lean, mean fighting machine to keep the fat off (since muscle burns more calories than fat).
  • skaboom163
    Options
    what brand of protein powder do you use?

I just bought GNC AMP Wheybolic Extreme 60. Haven't even tried it yet....
  • amycool
    amycool Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'd like to start taking a whey protein shake but I'm too daunted by the choices available. No idea where to start!
  • skaboom163
    Options
    I did some research.... I think they are all similar but some are better than others. It all depends on your needs. Women don't need as much protein as men. also, as a woman you might want to pick one up that has additional vitamins in there. I read how you want to stick to Whey... also make sure its low in sugar and the less ingredients the better. I will let you know how I like mine once I try it today. I just walked into GNC and told them what I was looking to achieve and he recommended this one. I think that's your best bet. Good luck!
  • skaboom163
    Options
    P.S. The GNC person told me that around 20grams of protein is a good start because it wont cause you to bulk up.
  • Cberg9
    Cberg9 Posts: 123
    Options
    I just recently bought that very same GNC brand, I bought their original AMP protein powder and switched to syntha 6 as I was getting more protein per scoop and it was a little better calorie wise but a few weeks ago I bought the chocolate and vanilla wheybolic 60 and I love it! It's only like 260 calories for 3 SCOOPS! Each scoop is around 20 grams of protein and I break it up and do a scoop in the morning and 2 in the evening after my work out with plain old water.
  • skaboom163
    Options
    Great! Happy to see all these positive comments on here. I was a little worried I would become a she-hulk but apparently its more common than I thought
  • RGroenland
    RGroenland Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love the taste and benefits of Rivalus Promasil. It mixes great with water or almond milk on the go and isn't sweetened with Aspartame or Splenda.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    P.S. The GNC person told me that around 20grams of protein is a good start because it wont cause you to bulk up.

Well that's good because no protein powder will make you bulk, not even in men unless you have a workout and caloric surplus to go along with that protein powder.

I use two protein powders though. I use muscle milk in the day as it's higher in calories and with doing IF, i need a quick source of calories and protein to help me get 2800 calories and 200+ g's of protein. I also use EAS with a 8 oz glass of skim milk post workout. EAS is great, especially for women as it's lower in calories (140 cals per scoop) but still delivers 25g of protein and loaded with vitamins.
  • khbutterfly
    khbutterfly Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have been needing to go to GNC to try a poweder. :)
  • sweetaj
    sweetaj Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i use diet direct wonderslim shakes/ pudding. 100 Cal packet, 15protein, and low carb. A little spendy even on sale though. but they taste good! blows medifast out of the water taste and price wise. I've also enjoyed the pre made designer whey, then bought a big thing of the powdered vanilla, and it sucked compared to their pre made
  • worej
    worej Posts: 108
    Options
    I try to have some protein powder in a berry smoothie every day I work out! Especially for someone like me, who doesn't get much protein otherwise, it's great. And it can turn a smoothie into a meal, and not make me hungry an hour later!
  • skaboom163
    Options

Well that's good because no protein powder will make you bulk, not even in men unless you have a workout and caloric surplus to go along with that protein powder.

I use two protein powders though. I use muscle milk in the day as it's higher in calories and with doing IF, i need a quick source of calories and protein to help me get 2800 calories and 200+ g's of protein. I also use EAS with a 8 oz glass of skim milk post workout. EAS is great, especially for women as it's lower in calories (140 cals per scoop) but still delivers 25g of protein and loaded with vitamins.

Good advice! Thanks!
  • skaboom163
    Options
    I try to have some protein powder in a berry smoothie every day I work out! Especially for someone like me, who doesn't get much protein otherwise, it's great. And it can turn a smoothie into a meal, and not make me hungry an hour later!

I just had some for breakfast...Lets see if it keeps the morning munchies at bay