Jicama

Options
LeanLioness
LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
What does Jicama taste like???

I have seen people here talking about it and also on a low carb website I belong to.............On the low carb site, everyone raves about how good it is................

What does it taste like??? I really want to try it, but don't want to waste my money either.

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    That's a tricky one. . .it tastes like jicama? Really difficult to describe. . .

It's mildly sweet, and the texture is like that of a really crunchy apple (sort of. . .) Or sort of like a giant water chestnut. . .it's better than I make it sound, I think.

I cut it into strips and use it for dip. Quite tasty, very high in fibre and super low calorie. Also very good chopped up in an asian cole slaw type salad (it stays crunchy even if you cook it)
  • joj7bat
    joj7bat Posts: 30
    Options
    I think it tastes like a cross between a crispy apple pear and something more starchy... like a potato.
    I really like them - its worth giving it a try.
  • jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I agree with the cross between an apple and a potato. They are tasty but so hard to cut. I just gave up and threw the rest away. I must have been doing something wrong. I need some prep tips!
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I am going to have to try it................
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    anyone have tips on how to cut it? It is sooo hard to cut... but very delicious. makes a great addition on a veggie tray.
  • joj7bat
    joj7bat Posts: 30
    Options
    I buy smaller ones - the skins are still tough but I do find they are a bit easier to peel.
    A sharp knife and being really careful are my best tips...