I need help with wrist problems

Options
Hello!

I have been been doing several of Jillian Micheals' DVD's for a couple months now. I started off with 30DS for a little over a month, and now I'm starting Ripped in 30 and my new favorite, Yoga Meltdown.

My problem is that at first, in the 30DS Lvl 1 & 2 was not too bad, but in lvl 3, where you had a lot of plank positions I started to get pains in my wrists ( My wrists have always been a little weak, but it usually isn't a problem unless I want to open pickle jars). Being the tough and stubborn cookie I am, I would just go through it anyway. However near the end, my wrists and hands were starting to get really painful in any plank/ push up-type of positions. So I would have to stop them and do something else for those reps or I would go out of form to take weight off my wrists. With the new Yoga meltdown, there is a lot of plank-like positions and it's causing my wrists some real trouble. I really love this DVD and want to continue though.

I was wondering if anyone knew if there was perhaps any positions that would be less stressful on my wrists, equipment or tips that could help my wrists. If the problem persists, I'll call my doctor, but I would like to avoid a visit if it's something simply fixable.

Thanks for your time ^_^

Edit: I would also like to add that it's not only my wrists that are weak, but a couple of my joints too - like my knees. I am only concerned with my wrists and knees because sometimes they cause me discomfort when I work out. It could be a diet thing too =/

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    There must be modified positions. I know you can rest on closed fists instead of bent wrists for push-ups. Wouldn't that work?

edit to say.....place the knuckles on the floor, closed fist, so you are actually resting on the long part of the fingers, and knuckles.

• kuunsilta
    kuunsilta Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Oh, what a good idea! I never thought of that! I will give it a try, thank you very much!

The modified positions in her DVD's just go to the knees, but you still have to have your hands in the same positions =( I will try the fist position though ^_^
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    not sure what the plank positions are on those videos, we use our elbows during planks, just rest on the elbows....takes all pressure off your wrists
  • kuunsilta
    Options
    Hmn, yeah, that's not a bad idea. =)

Sometimes when I drop to my elbows I feel that I'm losing a bit of my workout though >.<' so I tough through it with my hands
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    You can use your fist that way you don't have to bend your wrist.
  • Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    If you use your fist, only on the first two knuckles. Better position for your wrist x

Also since my last child I have carpel tunnel (think that is how you spell it??) For that, I make sure I have loads of flax seeds, to get my omegas, 3, 6 and 9.......... xxxxxx It took about a month or two work , but it did for me xxx

or go on your elbows, you will still be doing a plank, if you are unsure, youtube it....... xxxxxxxxx
  • jmaffett
    jmaffett Posts: 68
    Options
    Rest on your lower arms, not on your wrists. I have wrist issues and this is how I ALWAYS do plank.
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Go down to your elbows/forearms when doing a plank (you can also put a cushion if your forearms start to hurt). Instead of pushups, just plank on your forearms. Still works your core, especially if you keep your butt down.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I broke both my wrists when I was a kid, and they will never be good.

Instead of a plank from a push-up position, clench your fingers together and plank from your forearms on the ground. There is no loss of benefit from planking from this position (and nothing that hurts your joints is beneficial to you anyway!)

As for push-ups, yes making a fist helps. I agree with Adrenaline_Qu's last response, if you put your weight on your first two knuckles (like you're throwing a straight punch) that will keep your wrist flat. If your wrist is bent at all, you will be putting strain on it. You also might want to look into getting a pair of Perfect Pushups... they help you maintain this position in your wrist. Takes some getting used to but it's worth it
  • kuunsilta
    Options
    If you use your fist, only on the first two knuckles. Better position for your wrist x

Also since my last child I have carpel tunnel (think that is how you spell it??) For that, I make sure I have loads of flax seeds, to get my omegas, 3, 6 and 9.......... xxxxxx It took about a month or two work , but it did for me xxx

or go on your elbows, you will still be doing a plank, if you are unsure, youtube it....... xxxxxxxxx

Thanks for the nutrition advice! I know that I don't get a lot of omegas in my diet, so I'll try to find more foods with omega in it (I have some butter and breads with that added, but hopefully I will find more food other than fish haha). Hopefully that will help!
  • momof4boys68
    momof4boys68 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi ! I actually went through this same problem with the 30 day shred. In fact my one wrist got swollen . I seem to get sore with the pushups and planks like you. I just purchased wrist support bands from amazon and they helped alot!!! I did not get sore after the workout when i used them. They seem to give just the right support for excercises like this. These were only 13.00 for the pair and the name is Grizzly fitness accessories. (power training wrist wrap braclets and they are adjustable.) I also have pain in other areas and do not want to follow in my moms footsteps with RA. I just went to a seminar at church with a natural doctor speaking about eating foods that help with inflammation. example : anything God makes :) especially your green leafy vegetables and berries. Foods that make inflammation in the body worse are Caffiene, sugar, flour, meats.and dairy..... Anyway just passing on what i just learned myself. Hope I could help.
  • kuunsilta
    Options
    I hear you! I broke both my wrists when I was a kid, and they will never be good.

Instead of a plank from a push-up position, clench your fingers together and plank from your forearms on the ground. There is no loss of benefit from planking from this position (and nothing that hurts your joints is beneficial to you anyway!)

As for push-ups, yes making a fist helps. I agree with Adrenaline_Qu's last response, if you put your weight on your first two knuckles (like you're throwing a straight punch) that will keep your wrist flat. If your wrist is bent at all, you will be putting strain on it. You also might want to look into getting a pair of Perfect Pushups... they help you maintain this position in your wrist. Takes some getting used to but it's worth it

Thank you so much for the help! I am really glad to hear that there wont be a loss of benefit from changing positions like that - and you have a good point ;P

Yeah, I will definitely look in to those! I'm on march break in college now so I can go down to Sports check or Shoppers and see if they have anything like Perfect Pushups to help me ^^ ! I'll certainly give it a shot if it's worth saving my wrists and workouts in the long run!
  • kuunsilta
    Options
    Hi ! I actually went through this same problem with the 30 day shred. In fact my one wrist got swollen . I seem to get sore with the pushups and planks like you. I just purchased wrist support bands from amazon and they helped alot!!! I did not get sore after the workout when i used them. They seem to give just the right support for excercises like this. These were only 13.00 for the pair and the name is Grizzly fitness accessories. (power training wrist wrap braclets and they are adjustable.)

Oh! Thanks a million! I will go check those out right now! Amazon is so handy ^_^
  • Whutto1
    Whutto1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I could have wrote your post. I am currently doing the 30DS and am having a hard time with both of my wrists. I have had ongoing problems with them since I was a child. I will definately try some of the suggestions and see if they help.
  • kuunsilta
    Options
    I could have wrote your post. I am currently doing the 30DS and am having a hard time with both of my wrists. I have had ongoing problems with them since I was a child. I will definately try some of the suggestions and see if they help.

I am glad my thread helped you out ^_^

Have a wonderful day!
  • solarpower4
    solarpower4 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I also injured one wrist and rather than the fist position (did it for years) I use dumbbells (Hold on to the center part as if you were using them to lift - the weight part keeps your hand off the ground) whenever I need to do anything on the ground - plank, pushups, mountain climbing, etc. It's SO MUCH BETTER!!! Plus, I'm already using the weights in the 30DS so they're right there...
  • LaPati
    LaPati Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I tend to have pain in my right wrist with Yoga Meltdown, I've found that sleeping with a wrist brace helps.
  • kuunsilta
    Options
    I also injured one wrist and rather than the fist position (did it for years) I use dumbbells (Hold on to the center part as if you were using them to lift - the weight part keeps your hand off the ground) whenever I need to do anything on the ground - plank, pushups, mountain climbing, etc. It's SO MUCH BETTER!!! Plus, I'm already using the weights in the 30DS so they're right there...

Smart idea! I'll give the weights a try too !
  • kuunsilta
    Options
    Thanks for the tip!
  • jlr_12
    jlr_12 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I severely broke my arm right above the wrist a few years ago, and I cannot do very many push-ups without feeling a lot of pain. Like a lot of people have mentioned, the fist works pretty well. Another thing I find that else is doing them on something with a handle...I have one of those chin up bars that you can put in your doorway, that when laid on the floor can be used for a few types of push ups. Being able to wrap my fingers around a handle takes a lot of pressure off my wrist. There's other products out there that you could use for this...even octagonal dumbells (so they won't roll), as long as there's room for you to get your fingers around the handle while placed on the floor.