HELP!!! What is the size of the serving when a recipe only s

Options
Can any one tell me what the serving size of recipes are when they only say, "6 servings" or "8 servings" w/o an actual 1/2 cup, 1 cup and so on listed?

I am getting beyond frustrated with recipes because they don't list what the size of the servings are. if I calculate all the calories and fats myself then make the thing just to figure out that the serving size is only 1/2 cup but it's 500 calories then I'm just going to end up throwing it away. Waste of time, food and money. I've even noticed it's not listed on recipes from sparkpeople.com or other sites. It's easy to determine if it's a piece of fish or chicken but I'm talking about casseroles, stir-fry etc.

Is there an algebraic equation I can use that I can add together the size of all the ingredients or the size of the dish I use to bake it in and then divide by the number of servings? Something is better than nothing.

I just need to know if there is a standard serving size with recipes and what it is. Can any pleeeeeease help me. :explode:

Replies

• michellereneejenkins
    michellereneejenkins Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    this isn't supposed to become an obsession. if a recipe says 6 servings, then put half of it away and then you know you have 3 servings left in front of you. if you eat half of it, you had a serving and a half. guestimate and don't stress so hard about it. go for a walk after and burn off a few random cals
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    No recipe conforms to one standard. A way you could estimate is add up all the measurements of everything you put in, and then divide by how many portions.

example: I make apple pie oatmeal all the time. If I wanted to know how much it made, I'd add up the amount of the oats, the creamer, the water, the apples, the cinnamon, etc. and then divide by 4 since it makes 4 portions.

This might help you evaluate recipes when you're trying to decide if you want to make them. HTH
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Can any one tell me what the serving size of recipes are when they only say, "6 servings" or "8 servings" w/o an actual 1/2 cup, 1 cup and so on listed?

I am getting beyond frustrated with recipes because they don't list what the size of the servings are. if I calculate all the calories and fats myself then make the thing just to figure out that the serving size is only 1/2 cup but it's 500 calories then I'm just going to end up throwing it away. Waste of time, food and money. I've even noticed it's not listed on recipes from sparkpeople.com or other sites. It's easy to determine if it's a piece of fish or chicken but I'm talking about casseroles, stir-fry etc.

Is there an algebraic equation I can use that I can add together the size of all the ingredients or the size of the dish I use to bake it in and then divide by the number of servings? Something is better than nothing.

I just need to know if there is a standard serving size with recipes and what it is. Can any pleeeeeease help me. :explode:

What I usually do is add everything into the Recipe before I make it, and let it calculate for me, as it works out calories per serving - If we are making it for the family I say the recipe serves 4, (we are actually 3 adults and 2 7yr old kids, but I say I'm having a quarter to be on the safe side).
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    you take a dish and divide it into 8 servings or 6 servings or however many servings it should be.....