Eating Out

Options
What is the healthiest thing to order when eating out at a restaurant besides Salad?

Replies

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Mouthwash.
    :blushing: :wink: :laugh:

Seriously though, it depends on the restaurant. Try to avoid cream sauces if possible, and even salads can be dangerous at a lot of places. The best you can do is check out a listing of the place's nutritionals online before you go.
  • Mishi1369
    Mishi1369 Posts: 37
    Options
    I like grilled or baked fish or chicken (but watch out for marinades or butter.) Also be careful ordering salads. Some salads are more calories then a steak and fries.
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken with no sauce or sauce on the side, steamed veggies.

Did you have a particular restaurant in mind?
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Look up the menu online before you go. Most places have their nutritional information online. Pick something out ahead of time and stick to it.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Ribeye steak.
  • kemeko
    kemeko Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It all depends where you are going. Until I reach my goal weight (and even after), I am making sure I don't go over on calories/fat/sodium. In order to stay on track, when I do eat out, I eat at chain restaurants that post their nutritional information. I try to chose the healthiest meals (in advance) that would go well with my goals -- and pay really close attention to serving sizes.

I'll give you an example. I work across the street from PF Changs. Before starting this journey, it was a blessing. Now every time the door opens and I get a whiff of the delicious aromas coming across the parking lot, I can't help but crave it... ALOT. I stick with the Buddha's Feast (steamed) with brown rice, and add stir-fried spinach in garlic sauce. One order gives me two tasty meals that won't knock me off the wagon. And sometimes, I'll even splurge a little on a mini tiramisu dessert.

Planning ahead is the key! :smile:
  • kristina6888
    Options
    I think I am eating at Bravo! Italian Cucina!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    :blushing: I thought this was about something else. :devil:
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Just a warning, but salad is not always the best option to get while eating out. It's healthier, yes, but some of the salads are huge portions and can be well over 1,000 calories with all the add ons and salad dressing. If you're going to order salad, get the dressing on the side and have them make it without cheese and other toppings.
  • jamfan
    jamfan Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My go to is a
    sirloin steak plain (pretty lean & less $$$ than a fillet)
    Steamed Broccoli or vegetables
    possibly a baked plain sweet potato
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Look up the menu online before you go. Most places have their nutritional information online. Pick something out ahead of time and stick to it.

That's the ONLY way to go - at least for me. Sometimes I can't believe how the restaurants manage to stuff so many calories into their food! Better to plan ahead than to be unpleasantly surprised after you've eaten.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I was with a bunch of people that wanted to go to Chilis. I had never really eaten there before but I figured there would be something ok for me to eat. They actually had a "light" menu where entrees were 750 cals or less. I don't know about you but750 cals is almost my entire daily allotment! Anyway I was annoyed because the menu did not list the nutrition info for the dishes but there was one of those codes for smartphones to get the nutrition info. My husband took the pic and pulled up the info for me. The lowest calorie entree? A 6oz sirloin steak with a side of broccoli. It was 270 cals. All of the other items were chicken dishes and were way more than that. I did get a side salad with it sans cheese and croutons too so the meal ended up being more than 270. I find it funny that the steak dish was healthier than any of the chicken dishes. Way tastier I bet too. It was surprisingly good.
  • EmilyLStuart
    Options
    grilled shrimp!!!! or grilled chicken of course. scallops are ok too. but yes sauces on the side. stay away from pasta :(
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want, just ask for half of it to be brought in a to-go box. Easy Squeezy!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Steak (or fish) and veggies. Yummy and nutritious. Even if the sodium content is nuts (and it shouldn't be if you just get it grilled), you're getting nutrients.

... or what hiker said.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    do a search on where you are going. Often menu and nutrition info are posted. It is much easier to to stick to diet if you can check the menu and info at home.
  • MissVCI
    MissVCI Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I think I am eating at Bravo! Italian Cucina!

If it's italian def stay away from cream sauces or anything breaded. So no chicken parm.

Shrimp angel hair might be a good choice, never can go wrong with a grilled meat and steamed veggies.
    but it's the portion size you have to be mindful of. So whatever you order only eat half.
  • Princessbrene
    Princessbrene Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Almost every chain restaurant lists its nutrition information on their websites. Also, restaurants such as Applebees, Fatz, Chili's, Olive Garden and Red Lobster have "healthier items" or "lighter items" listed on their menu. My favorite thing at Chilis is the Margarita Chicken... HUGE plate of food... has black beans, rice, a few tortilla chip shreads and a really delicious grilled chicken on top. The whole thing is only 550 calories.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    The food that undergoes the least amount of processing and preparation is the healthiest choice.

I recommend grilled protein, baked (or sauteed in simple olive oil), steamed/grilled/boiled vegetables, simple rice or baked potato (if you absolutely must have starch). The less sauce, the better - Sauces can be really high in calories. Ask for it on the side if you can. It's not very tempting, but the simpler the food, the better it is for you.

The best thing you can do is look at the restaurant menu before you go and choose something that looks healthy :)
  • kantone999
    kantone999 Posts: 174
    Options
    I have to eat out a lot entertaining with work. If you don't have time to check beforehand on the nutritional info, ask your server for it. Most restaurants either have a printed sheet or will zip off a copy from their website. Most servers are happy to bring it to you in anticipation of a good tip for the extra service. Don't be afraid to ask how things are prepared and give instructions for lower-calorie options. And just because a meat is grilled does NOT automatically mean they don't brush it with oil or coat it with salt before cooking. When in doubt, specify.