Heart Rate Monitor?

Options
Hey guys! I would love to start tracking my heart rate when exercise and have been looking at the different HRM online and am a little overwhelmed. What do you guys recommend? One with a chest strap or a wrist monitor? There are so many options I just can't decide! Any one have personal experience stories?

Replies

• TheChangingMan
    TheChangingMan Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi, I would definitely go for one with a chest strap - they are much more accurate. I have the Polar FT7 which, while being far from expensive, has the things I'm looking for.
  • Redapplecandie
    Redapplecandie Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in some answers too... I'm looking into getting one myself....
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Chest strap for sure... as they are the most accurate.

I've used both a Polar FT7 and a Polar FT60.. both are awesome HRM's.
  • bettina8
    bettina8 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hey..did you get one? I am considering Polar ft60...but not yet the GPS since I can use my phone..
  • Steph1383
    Steph1383 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4, it doesn't have any many bells and whistles, which is what I want. It tracks workout times, heart rate, being in the zone, and calories burned (my favorite part). I haven't had any problems with it and found it on amazon for $60.
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    Ones with a chest strap have more accuracy. When I was researching, I found the Polar FT family to have the best reports, and the highest reviews from users for their function/wear/comfort/simplicity in using. Then it boils down to what you are looking for. The Polar FT4 is the cheapest from the ones I was looking at, from there it goes up, but so do the functions and memory capacity. I ended up getting a Polar FT40. I decided on this one cause you could do the add-on features as well as more memory. It was been WONDERFUL and was so glad I made the purchase. The accuracy to know what you are dealing with calorie-wise, as well as your heart rate stages is priceless. The FT40 also had a "fitness test" which helps calculate your range even better!
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT60!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Let your budget be your guide (but get one with the chest strap).
  • carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4, it doesn't have any many bells and whistles, which is what I want. It tracks workout times, heart rate, being in the zone, and calories burned (my favorite part). I haven't had any problems with it and found it on amazon for $60.

Ditto
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I have Polar FT60 - its great.

Chest strap is a must have.
  • TiredOfBeingFAT130
    Options
    Chest strap for sure!! Since you're a girl, you won't even notice it! I wear it right below my sports bra and I really can't tell the difference between the chest strap and my bra!
    I have the Polar FT4. I highly recommend it. MFP tells you that you burn much higher than you do... for me, I burn about 50% less than the MFP database said.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Definitely get the chest strap. I've heard all sorts of shenanigans when it comes to the ones without it.
  • Sabineslims
    Options
    Love my Polar FT4. It's basic. It does just what I need it to. Very user friendly.
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options

Ditto

Same for me... Free shipping from amazon.
  • TanyaCurtis
    TanyaCurtis Posts: 630
    Options
    Polar FT40, love it, costed $150 off eBay!
  • Kitiara47
    Kitiara47 Posts: 235
    Options
    I have the Polar Ft 4. I love it! It was affordable and does exactly what I need it to. It is quite accurate and shows you your heart rate, calories burnt, max and average heart rates, and stores your activities for a certain amount of logs. I don't need all the bells and whistles the more expensive hrms have, so it's perfect for me! I wear the watch all the time just as a regular watch.
    It took me forever to decide on an hrm that I thought would work. Now that I have it, I'm not disappointed. I definitely recommend it :smile:
  • geezer99
    geezer99 Posts: 92
    Options
    Or just learn to take your own pulse. Fingers on the artery at the side of your neck just below your jawbone. Count for 15 seconds and multiply by 4. (15 seconds is the standard used by EMTs, sometimes I do 6 seconds and multiply by 10)
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options

Ditto

Same for me... Free shipping from amazon.

This, except I paid too much at Target LOL, but I love it. If you're only looking for one to keep track of calories, it is a great buy and will do the trick. If you need something more advanced, you're going to pay more, but if it's heartrate and calories you're after, this is the best buy. It will tell you your average heartrate throughout the workout as well as your max, plus it will estimate calories for you after you program in your info. You can also view your HR while working out w/o having to stop and take your pulse. LOL
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I swear by my Polar - right now I have the FT4 and bought it at the store for 89.99... i could have bought it online for cheaper - but when I want something, I want it now! lol... so I spent the extra cash to have it same day.
  • onequirkygirl
    onequirkygirl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I (millionth?) the Polar FT4! It's awesome....I also got for 90 bucks cause I'm impatient like that.