HBP medication and weight loss

Options
Hello,
Happily, I am in the weaning off stage with my two BP medications. I was wondering....... will this allow me to lose weight quicker? The reason I ask is because when I went on the medications, "weight gain" was a possible side effect for both. So, I'm wondering if the opposite is true as well. Add medications - gain weight. Lose medications - lose weight?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting off the meds (I'm assuming you have your doctor's blessing).

Presumably you were on beta-blockers? I've read that there is an apparent correlation between beta-blockers and weight gain, the hypothesis being that beta-blocker users tired more easily and tended to exercise less. (The statistical problem with these studies is that the results were observed in people already on the medications so you're not dealing with a truly random sample)

Correlation does not prove causality so unless you could personally attribute weight gain to the use of your particular meds it's unlikely that you'll lose weight as a result of getting off them but don't be discouraged. To get to the point where you can get off blood pressure medication says you're doing something right, keep on eating healthy and exercising.
  • GwendolynMartin
    GwendolynMartin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes- with blessing. Through better diet and improved exercise. And to your point, I can't specifically say I gained weight because of the pills (one beta blocker and one diuretic). But we will see. Thanks for replying.
  • bstoetzer
    bstoetzer Posts: 96
    Options
    Not sure what you are taking, but here's a link to an article about different meds and weight loss/gain.

http://gma.yahoo.com/prescription-meds-put-unwanted-pounds-140206434.html
  • GwendolynMartin
    GwendolynMartin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks!