My Hubby Was Right (pics)

Options
bushidowoman
bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
For years, he told me I was being too hard on myself.

For years, I hated looking like this:
before.jpg
And I would starve myself. And exercise to the extreme. And finally give up because it was too hard to maintain. And gain back everything I'd lost. And do it all over again (and again and again). At the left, I was at my highest non-pregnant weight, around 188lbs. The other two pics were taken during my "trying to lose weight phase", weighing between 170-175. I was doing Jillian Michaels' diet during this time and trying to stay around 1400 cals a day. The one on the right was taken on hubby's birthday, another time that I beat myself up for celebrating and wound up giving up. Oh, y'all, the voice in my head was worse than the meanest drill sargeant.
My sweetheart told me that I was fine the way I was. He was always concerned when I wasn't eating enough. He was sad when I snapped at him that I couldn't have whatever treat he'd bought me. When I would complain about being overweight, he would say, "But honey, you've had kids! Don't be so hard on yourself!" and "I love you anyway!"

After baby #6 was born (our 5th baby together in 12 years), I was afraid that I would again have PPD like I'd had with #5, so I put a battle plan in place. I was going to learn to love myself, just the way I was. Along those lines, I vowed that I was going to give my body adequate nutrition, adequate rest, adequate play, and adequate exercise. I was no longer going punish myself by withholding food or by inflicting long exercise sessions. I already knew that doing those things would not bring about any good change. It was a struggle, and sometimes I fell, but I kept trying. I got into the habit of counting my protein grams and servings of fresh veggies and fruits and dairy and healthy fat...but not calories. I made a pact with myself that I would do 15-30 minutes of exercise a day, just because it made me feel better and gave me more energy. And I worked on telling my inner drill sargeant to knock it off.
After a few months, I noticed it was working. I got down to 158 lbs, the lowest I'd weighed since HoneyBear and I had our first child together.
7-16-11158lbs.jpg

Encouraged by my newfound energy and strength, I picked up some weights and began to "lift heavy". I pampered myself with new clothes. I reached my goal weight of 145. Then I started wondering if maybe I would look better at 135? I joined MFP thinking I would lose another 10 pounds. But here I am today at 143.5.
3-5-121435lbs.jpg
I have decided that this is it. Rather than focusing on pounds, I've decided that strong, energetic, and healthy is where I want to stay. I like this. I will continue to do what I am doing just because I feel good doing it.

And...
(here's your fair warning...I'm going to show a belly shot...battle scars and all... :wink:)
*this* is something that I can feel proud of. It takes a lot of work to get these kind of stripes! Rawr!

3-5-12battlescars.jpg

Replies

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    WOW! I'm so proud of you...you look gorgeous!!!!! I LOVE the nickname you have for your hubby, "honeybear' is soooo cute, your man LOVES you so much and this story/you guys rock!
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    wow you look awesome!!
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    Excellent job! You look great! :heart:
  • roadworthy
    roadworthy Posts: 130
    Options
    You are freaking beautiful! I love that you can be proud of who you are Great job girl:)
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic! Well done, hot momma!
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Keep up the great work. X
  • mandarin776
    Options
    Thanks for posting. What a great message...its not about pounds. Its about finding a way to be healthy and happy.
  • ChrisIn757
    ChrisIn757 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Wow you are a knock out. Great job.
  • AndiJoy812
    AndiJoy812 Posts: 236
    Options
    Just beautiful!!! Congratulations and thank you so much for posting!
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    You look great! Good for you!
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    What a brilliant story and really hits a nerve with me too. You look amazing in your pictures, and I'm so happy that you feel confident and healthy now x
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    You look amazing, and I love the belly shot. I have a lot of stretch marks on my belly/hips without having had kids, so this makes me feel a lot better about the kind of things I should be striving to achieve!
  • jjennyb4
    jjennyb4 Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Wow... You look fabulous, You are a great inspiration!!!!!!!!!
  • ashcandi
    ashcandi Posts: 35
    Options
    You look great! Congrats on not only the weight loss but also the confidence you have gained. Very inspiring story =)
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You look fit, healthy, and fabulous! Way more important than that, though, is that it sounds like you FEEL fabulous. <3

It sounds like you are finally working WITH your body instead of fighting against it. This is fantastic, and is a really great message for us all to hear. Bravo!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    You look incredible and I would cut off both of my pinky-toes for your hair. :love:

Best of all is the confidence in all the photos. You won. You love yourself. It shows. :drinker:
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Superb!!!

It's hard to believe that tummy has held 6 babies in it!! LOL Good for you!
  • unsivilized6
    unsivilized6 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You look awesome, girl!!! So proud of you!!! Can't wait to be there with you!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Amazing. So glad you found your happy/healthy place.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    You're like my new hero. :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!