Whole wheat pasta

Options
2»

Replies

• sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I eat DreamFields Low Glycemic pasta, its good!!
  • jencurry133
    Options
    try boiling it longer than the directions say...this works for my family!
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I like Dreamfields pasta. It tastes as good as any "regular" pasta I'v'e ever eaten, but only has 5 net carbs. I get mine in bulk from Amazon. BE AWARE it contains twice the fiber of any other pasta you've probably ever eaten, which results in some impressive tiny room experiences. But I'm always trying to increase my fiber intake, and I just love this brand.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Try Ronzoni Smart Taste. It's my favorite, and I can't abide most whole-wheat products
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Just learn how to make your own fresh pasta. It's not hard to do. Mix I cup of wholewheat, one cup of allpurpose white, and 2 large eggs together in the food processor.

Sometime's I need to add about a tablespoon of water because the mixture is to dry. I should resemble pie dough.

Buy a handcrank pasta machine (50 bucks), run the dough thru. Flour the pasta sheets so the don't stick together. Then crank them thru the cutter. Toss into salted boiling water and stir. Usually fresh pasta is cooked in a minute or two.

Jamie Oliver has a couple of videos on youtube. One has a Italian gentleman showing Jamie how to make pasta. Then another one shows Jamie making it in the studio.

Once you get the hang of it, you will never be sucked into paying 6 bucks for 500gms of specialty pasta again. You have to figure, how much does a cup of flour cost, how much does an egg cost?

I have added sambal chili pasta to my whole wheat pasta, hot wing sauce as well, made beet pasta, spinach pasta,etc. In the end, your only limited buy your imagination.

I'm a journeyman cook (30 years), trust me, it really is that easy.

:wink:
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    eat spaghetti squash instead :) lower cal, tasty, grain free!
  • anta1
    anta1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I can't give up rice or pasta.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I can't give up rice or pasta.
    No reason to!
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Can you get spinach pasta? I use that as a compromise
  • Erinslove
    Erinslove Posts: 139
    Options
    Eat it anyway, it grows on you. You will probably end up preferring it after a while. I did.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Barilla whole wheat probably has the mildest taste and most similar texture to white pasta. The hodgeson Mills is much stronger. I used to dislike whole wheat pasta, but I began to buy only whole wheat mainly due to the fiber content, which is about 3 times the fiber in white pasta. I actually prefer whole wheat now and if I have white, I often find the texture unappealing and the taste bland
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I like whole wheat because it has lots of fiber, and I can't crap right if I don't get enough fiber. That's probably too much info for some, but that's what happens when people start hating on each other's food choices.

Anyway, for me, the whole grain depends on how it's cooked. I have no idea what I do differently, because it tastes awesome at my house. However, I tried Olive Garden's whole grain pasta and it was awful. It was like eating sand.

I think it helps to maybe cook it a little longer than white pasta and use a good sauce.
  • clarebrad
    clarebrad Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I tend to boil it longer it is softer. When i first started using it i wasn't a big fan, but over time you get used to it and now i prefer it and actually like it better, just like any changes to your diet it takes adjustment and sometimes stick at it and your tastes will adapt to it.
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    barilla whole wheat in at least 6 QTs of water and add SALT to the water. it should taste like seawater. salt isnt evil.... it is problematic if you have specific medical conditions, but other than that you're fine. If you dont cook it in enough water, it will get really starchy and yucky.
  • kd80538
    kd80538 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I eat Barilla plus multigrain pastas. SO much easier, and it tastes great.

Agreed...this is by far one of the best ones out there...
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Most pasta:
    Is made from processed flour
    Contains gluten
    Is difficult for many people to digest
    Creates a sticky "sludge" in your digestive tract
    Encourages the growth of pathogenic bacteria and yeast (microflora) in your gut

If you want to build your inner ecosystem with beneficial microflora, then most pastas are NOT for you.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Most pasta:
    Is made from processed flour
    Contains gluten
    Is difficult for many people to digest
    Creates a sticky "sludge" in your digestive tract
    Encourages the growth of pathogenic bacteria and yeast (microflora) in your gut

If you want to build your inner ecosystem with beneficial microflora, then most pastas are NOT for you.

First of all celiac disease is a dignosed medical condition and people who don't have it shouldn't have trouble processing wheat gluten. I eat seitan on a regular basis, which is a high protein meat substitute made of wheat gluten and I have no problems, but then again I have no gluten intolerance. Second, the OP was asking about whole wheat pasta which is much less processed than white flour pastas so no reason to attack her on processed flours, she's trying to make a healthier choice. Yes I say healthier because not only are most of the nutrients left intact when eating whole wheat, but the fiber content is much higher, in the case of pasta it's about 3 times higher. Lastly if it were true that pasta encouraged the growth of pathogenic bacteria in our digestive tract then there would be a much higher rate if digestive tract infections. I eat pasta on a regular basis and so do most people I know and we don't have digestive tract illness on a regular basis.