Vegan Bodybuilding....Question and my personal journey...six

Options
13»

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    You look lean enough to me. I'd be trying to add muscle. You will need a cal surplus. Around 10%-15% is a good goal IMO.

1g/lb of LBM protein minimum
    .4g/lb of BW fat minimum

Eat whatever you want that will get you there.

Get you're injuries sorted before lifting heavy but once sorted, focus on the big compound lifts.
  • ScottJG82
    ScottJG82 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yes, I can dig tofu. I did scrambled tofu eggs last week, but have to not made it in a week.... I need to find a way to make it taste better lol you def need to spice it and salt it up....adding salsa to dip it in is always a plus :)

its my understanding that eggs do not fit into a vegan diet. so then this leads me to this question.. do you eat fish?

Do not eat fish. Nothing with a face. :)
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    You said before you can do chin ups and pull ups... But lifting hurts your shoulder?
  • crossa75
    crossa75 Posts: 9
    Options
    You might find some useful info by googling Mac Danzig, he is a UFC fighter that is vegan. Click on the lnk it's got some info bout what he eats while training. Hope it helps http://www.mikemahler.com/online-library/articles/mma-training/ufc-fighter-mac-danzig-vegan-diet.html
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    You said before you can do chin ups and pull ups... But lifting hurts your shoulder?

That is entirely possible. I also have an injured shoulder & can do all the pulling exercises (rows, pullups etc) but VERY limited in pressing.

To the OP: I know nothing of veganism but do you eat protein powders? If so, that will most likely be one of the main protein sources for you.
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Do more reading, but be careful with protein powders....more than 2 scoops a day and you're setting yourself up for some longterm badness.
  • ScottJG82
    Options
    Yes, I can dig tofu. I did scrambled tofu eggs last week, but have to not made it in a week.... I need to find a way to make it taste better lol you def need to spice it and salt it up....adding salsa to dip it in is always a plus :)

its my understanding that eggs do not fit into a vegan diet. so then this leads me to this question.. do you eat fish?

Assisted chin ups with some form of resistance holding my knees up a little is a big help to not mess up my shoulder/neck. I usually do 25.
  • ScottJG82
    Options

That is entirely possible. I also have an injured shoulder & can do all the pulling exercises (rows, pullups etc) but VERY limited in pressing.

To the OP: I know nothing of veganism but do you eat protein powders? If so, that will most likely be one of the main protein sources for you.

I'm not big into protein powders to be honest. I feel if I can reach my calorie goal and eat more protein oriented foods like hummus, lentil, avocado, greens, etc than I will be fine with slowly building muscle.

I also hear that bananas are fantastic for building muscle. My friend Chris is a raw vegan and he eats 25 bananas a day and looks great and is ripped. I've been trying to find my own way. I used to follow the whole raw vegan thing but I did it wrong, was sick, ate at 2:30 am, just didn't work out, etc, so I'm trying to find the right balance for me. It seems to be fruits, veggies, salads, soups, avocado rolls, hummus wraps, etc. That seems to be working me and of course a snack of sherbert mango at night. :)
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Do more reading, but be careful with protein powders....more than 2 scoops a day and you're setting yourself up for some longterm badness.

Source?
  • FORIANN
    Options

Source?

I have a friend who is a bio chemists that works for a supplement company....he really really good. He was telling me that he had a mate that developed allergies and had to stop using protein powder. Even though the guy was eating like five chicken breasts a day it didn't matter...the body can get accustomed to getting 'ready made' / 'easy' protein and it's ability to extract nutrients (in this case, protein) become compromised. He said based on this and some experiments they'd done you ideally shouldn't be taking more than 2 scoops....3 if you're a very big guy.....a day. Nothing is better for your body than natural food like lean mean and green vegetables. I take scoops a day....3 on days I strength train...which is twice a week.

Another interesting point that he made was that your ratio of calories should be about equal coming from carbs and proteins...a little less from fat....he said 35/35/30.....protein/carbs/fat....is about perfect. Knowing this guys qualifications and listening to the very detailed and solid explanations he gives, I take most of what he says very seriously. He does this for a living...has a great passion for it...and has a sh1t ton of common sense.
  • FORIANN
    Options
    In the aforementioned scenario...the guy that developed the allergy and was eating all the chicken breast lost about 10lb of muscle mass. Eventually the body can regain it's abilities to function properly, but it takes months and by that time the damage will be done. Supplements are not intended to be substitutes for food.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

Well then, chow down on some clams, oysters, and urchins. Mmmm mmmm!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I also hear that bananas are fantastic for building muscle. My friend Chris is a raw vegan and he eats 25 bananas a day and looks great and is ripped.

Hilarious bro science.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    I've heard of that banana guy I think. LOL

To the op: It's lucky you're bulking then because from what I see on you're list of protein sources, they're all quite high fat as well. Not an issue being that you need a cal surplus. But I think with you're available food choices, you're going to struggle to get anywhere near 1g/lb of LBM.

clams, oysters & mussels sounds like a great tasty idea though!
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options

He didn't use eggs, just the tofu, and made something like scrambled eggs :flowerforyou: