HRM or Running Watch???

Options
Help. I bought a running watch this past weekend to help me maintain a better pace. Now I am having second thoughts. Perhaps I should have shelled out the extra cash to get one with a HRM. Any help from someone who has tried both would be AWESOME!!!

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I have paid extra for the HRM and never used it due to wearing it being annoying as all get out.

that is just me though. Those chest strap things are annoying for women I think. I just had to get a new watch and opted for one w/o
  • RunAmock
    RunAmock Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    That was kind of how I felt. I know I'm not going to exert myself to the point that my heart rate is going to go too high...LOL the reason I wanted the watch is so I could force myself to run faster and keep a steady pace. I got it at REI, so the salesman said I can return it at any time. I will use it for a while and see if I change my mind, I guess. Just appreciate input from others who have tried both. Thanks for your comment.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by running watch but heres my input.

Any HRM that you buy must have a chest strap if you want it to be accurate for heart rate, calories burned etc.. You can get HRM's that have a GPS built in and will do distance/speed plus calories burned and heart rate. Polar FT60 is a good model for that.
  • Sarabeth5
    Sarabeth5 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I'm pondering the same thing. I have never used one but I haven't bought a HRP because that chest strap looks annoying...
  • RunAmock
    Options
    Thanks. Yeah, mine doesn't have the HR. It is stricktly a running watch, meaning it only tells my pace, distance, ave. speed, and calories burned. Thanks. I am thinking seriously about trading it in for one with the HRM functions as well. :)
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I had the garmin 301 i think with the HRM before. Used it once or twice. Then I got the 201 (no HRM) and used that for 3 years without any issues or need for a HRM in my opinion (I run 6-7 days a week). I just accidentally washed mine and then bought the 110 as I didn't use half of the features that the 201 had and didn't want to pay for more than I was using.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    A HRM is useful if you want to figure out an average of how many calories you burn during a workout, or other specific measurements. But yeah, it is extremely annoying to wear and you will probably get sick of it after the first few times you use it. I had a watch that measured heart rate once, but it needs two fingers from your other hand to measure your pulse so it's really only useful if you have your hands free (i.e. running)
  • RunAmock
    Options
    Thanks for all the input, guys. Maybe I'll just keep using this one. I don't see any point wasting money on something that I will throw in a drawer. I have done that too much already.

As for the Garmin 210 vs. 110, the guy at REI said it's pretty similar. Sounds like you made a good decision. :) I got a NewBalance Running Watch. Pink and Black. Cute and practical. And only 100 bucks. I can't wait to run with it!!!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I don't see why everyone thinks the strap is annoying.. It's really not. I almost always forget that mine is on.. and once even walked out with it still on after my workout.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I recently got the Garmin FR60 with HRM and foot pod. It's a gps running watch w/o either HRM or pod, but is more accurate on mileage with the pod and calculates calories burned when using the HRM. GPS will trace your routes too. Foot pod allows it to record miles indoors on the treadmill. Only thing I don't like is having to log into Garmin's website to get to all my data, very limited output on the watch screen. ANT+ wireless transfer to the computer is simple, as long as you don't lose the little USB stick.

I got it mainly for using the HRM in the gym, as I tend to push myself pretty hard. It's just an elastic strap around your rib cage, right underneath the pectoral / breast area, with a small transmitter module that goes in front. I've gotten used to it, but I can see how some would find it annoying.

Got it from a Garmin website selling factory refurbished, so it was much less $$ than retail new. $170 for the bundle.
  • gpies
    gpies Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Love my HRM. Strap is not annoying at all once you start working out with it. You just sort of get used to it. I do many different types of exercise with it on - kickboxing, running, cycling, etc. and doesn't give me a hard time. I like that it is accurate compared to the many "estimates" out there for calories burned, etc.
  • dolphin8075
    Options
    I have a boflex pro hrm with watch & chest strap. I don't mind the chest strap. I also forget I have mine on. I love mine & use it daily for my workouts because I didn't want to guesstimate my calories burned. I wanted to know & be sure I wasn't eating back calories that I didn't burn. I am glad I got mine because since getting mine about two weeks ago, I decided to up my calories burned. A typical workout I burn between 700-800 calories and I decided that since I do that every day with no problem, I could simply workout for another 20 minutes and burn 1000 calories total. So no my new goal is 1000 calories a workout. It's really up to you and what your looking for. I bought mine at a big 5 store & it was originally $139.00 + tax. I got it on sale for $29.00 + tax.
  • Rsd_Terry
    Rsd_Terry Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love my Garmin 310XT with the HRM. I had thought the chest strap would become annoying, but I've been using it for every run for the last six months and I haven't had an issue with it.

Right now I'm using it for watching that I don't push too hard on my weekday "easy" runs. Soon, I hope to stat doing track work and monitoring that I'm hitting the right zones.

I've seen that several sports bra models actually have a way to inset the HRM straps into the sports bra, so you don't have a second strap around your chest. This might be something you could look into. Personally, I don't know if they're comfortable, or not.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin 110 with HRM - the chest strap is not annoying at all, I don't even know about it two minutes after I've put it on...It does all the other stuff too...
  • RunAmock
    Options
    Okay....well, it seems that I am still in a quandry. :) But I do appreciate all the input. I am kind of curious about the HR and calories burned. And I do like the idea of being able to use it for all exercise, not just when running outside. So perhaps another trip to the REI is in my near future. LOL Like a ship at sea, tossed by the waves. I cannot decide. :)
  • katie133
    katie133 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my HRM!! The chest strap isnt annoying at all... I always forget that im wearing it..... Also, a HRM isnt only good to see if you are going to "max heart rate" it is good to see if you are working hard enough and if you are in "the zone"

I use mine every day!