Hi! Any shorties trying to get fit out there?

Options
eig6
eig6 Posts: 249 Member
Hi! Im new to using mfp though I made my account last year! Im only 4'11''! I find it hard to stick to a diet because I see how much others can eat simply because they are taller! oh well, cant change that, but Im definitely trying to change my exercise habits (or lack of them) since I cant safely eat less. I want to get fit, not just lose weight, are there any other short people in the same boat out there?

1121454.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• PinkPlatinumRN
    PinkPlatinumRN Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and trying to tone up and lose 12 lbs. I love to eat and this is a real challenge. Work long hours so getting the exercise in is challenging as well. I love fitness and being healthy so I hope I'm successful.
  • eig6
    Options
    That is a challenge! I feel the same way, and I love to bake. Im worried about the temptation now.
  • cranberrycat
    cranberrycat Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1" (and will gladly take that inch). I find it a bit more difficult, because I think that my BMR is lower than others who are taller, and I don't feel that I get as many "calorie credits" for workouts, not burning as much. There is only a 400 calorie window between my calorie goal and my maintenance, so there is little room for error.
  • lexidell46
    lexidell46 Posts: 143
    Options
    I am 5' 2" and In have COPD. so m it makes it a challenge on some days to exercise.That and the medication I take for it, slows down the weight reduction. But I am bound and determined to get rid of the weight.So I can breath easier. and hopefully lower my medication dose.
  • student94
    student94 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    5' 2" with about 10 lbs to go here! I would suggest you work on losing slowly (no more than 1lb a week). Short girls can't eat a ton to begin with, so a large calorie deficit can make weight loss miserable. If you're not hungry all the time you'll have a much easier time sticking to your plan, and transitioning into maintenance after you hit your goal will be a breeze. I'm currently set to lose about .75 lbs a week, and don't feel like I'm dieting at all.
  • nammer79
    nammer79 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" or 5'-6" (depends on which id you look at) ...thats pretty short for a guy so feel free to add away
  • karenCalandro
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and weigh 115. I started out at 150, so have lost 35 lbs and really did not feel like I was dieting either. I was eating constantly, all good foods of course, but a lot of it. MFP had my calorie at 1200 and it was plenty for me. I have worked out everyday for the last 5 months, and some days ate my workout calories and some days i didn't. I lost weight every week
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I'm a shorty! I'm the height as you! Feel free to add me!
  • eig6
    Options
    YAy! Im not the only short one : )
  • eig6
    Options
    Student94
    Really? What are your doing? I am eating only 1200 a day and I feel a little deprived at times but not hungry. I work out 3-4 times a week for an hour and still Im supposed to only loose .6 pounds a week.
  • TaraERZ
    TaraERZ Posts: 8
    Options
    Im 5'0 ...trying to lose about 40lbs!!! Ive love 40lbs already and gained 20lbs back, thats was before I joined MFP...I lost on a great diet, just was deprived the whole time so after I was done...I ate all the foods I couldn't and am SLOWLY gaining back..Not feeling too happy with myself!!

Add Me !
  • iceandfire212
    iceandfire212 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 4'11 too! And 126-ish (need to weigh in again). I feel so bleghghghg about myself, so I'm trying get rid of 15lbs... Going well so far, as I started off being 135 in late January. Doing 1200 calories daily, although I often have trouble eating back my exercise calories. But I try really hard! I'm doing Jillian's 30 Day Shred and Killer Buns and some cultural and bellydancing here and there.

Good luck to all!
  • trysha1231
    trysha1231 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Me!!! I am 5'3" and I would LOVE to lose 20 lbs. I have been exercising and dieting for three weeks and only lost 4 pounds my first week. Since then NOTHING has come off. Ugh! I am trying to get some answers from the message boards to see what I am doing wrong!
    I've been doing Zumba, couch 2 5k, weights, and will be starting the ChaLEAN DVD's as soon as they arrive.
    This has been tough!
  • Chryselis
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and probably the tallest person to respond but I feel short and when I put on weight it shows!! I weigh the same as my twin stepdaughters but they are 5'8" and perfectly slender. I have recently tried several "diets" but I'm finding just eating healthy foods has been keeping me under 1200 calories. Also, drinking a lot of water seems to help with cravings and feeling full. I'd like to eat more veggies and fruit. I often wear all one color because it is suppose to make you look taller and skinnier.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Yeahhhh.... I'm 5'4" and -for a guy - that's pretty short.

My "healthy" weight range for a male of my height is 107-145. That has always sounded INSANE. What grown man wants to weight 107 pounds?! I'm aiming for the 145, though... that's doable, I guess.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    i am a shorty too at 4'11'' and i eat 1600 calories on rest days and up to 1900 calories on active days.
  • smoffette
    smoffette Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0'' and trying to get fit + lose about 18 lbs from my starting weight of 116...I lost 6 in the first two weeks, but now it's the end of week three and I haven't lost any more! I'd also like to know what I've been doing wrong :P
    I've been keeping under 1200 cal/day, although I do eat some of my workout calories back when I work out. I too have a busy work schedule so it's difficult to find the time to put in at the gym, but I'm trying to make it happen!
  • tracellia
    Options
    Hello,
    I am 4'10" and would like to find someone in north San Antonio,TX for a walking partner. I am currently unemployed, so if you can walk during the day that would be great. I am about 45-50 pound over what most doctors say I should weigh. I am 170 pound and I think I am supposed to be around 125. If you know a nice place to walk such as a park and would like a partner please message me. Thanks!! I have not excersied since I was 23 and at 42 I am a little lost now. I have never dieted either. So we shall see how this whole thing works. :happy:
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I am 5' nada and eat plenty still. 1500 on rest days and avg 1700-1800 when I workout. Still lose weight. Yes we eat less than some but it does not have to be 1200 either.
  • Cindigilman185
    Cindigilman185 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! Good luck! :)
    :smile: