Carrying water while running?

Options
I posted this in the Couch to 5K group but appears to be a "ghost town". So here is my question...

I am on W6 & just finished D2. I have not had the need to drink something so far, but I wondering if I should start carrying some water since the runs will be getting longer. Do any of you carry water when on your runs?

Replies

• MJArant
    MJArant Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What is W6 and D2? Hw far are you running? When I do long runs, I drink a little bit....probably not enough (my wife says). 5km...I would say no...anything longer yes.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You really don't need to unless you're running over about an hour in hot weather as long as you drink enough water during the day.
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    Not really needed for anything up to 5k, if you are adequately hydrated during the day. I find it helpful to have a piece of gum on hand, if I need a little quencher. When I run up to 5 miles, I carry a little handheld Fuel Belt bottle. It works great. On longer training runs, I use a Fuel Belt two-bottle belt. BTW, I started w/ the C25K program, too. It rocks! I just signed up for my second half-marathon, too. Happy Running!
  • Erinslove
    Erinslove Posts: 139
    Options
    When I trained for my marathon in the hot southern summer sun it would have been ill advised and impossible to run without water on long runs. Since I don't know your running conditions or length it is hard to know what your liquid needs are. I had a fanny belt that held 2 bottles of water. I am big chested and I sometimes ran with a bottle of water resting in my cleavage too! :-) It worked. On very long runs I ran a 4 mile trail and I had ice chests at each end so every 4 miles I could refill my water supply and when I got to the higher mile marks such as 16 (for example) I would also incorporate gatorade. The heat makes a big difference. I was training in a Memphis summer - we had 2 weeks where it was 110 each day that year. I ran trails for shade and we started at 5am to avoid the brunt of the heat. Shorter runs (such as 6 miles or less) and when it isn't so hot water might not be needed during the run.
  • laurapgmartinez
    laurapgmartinez Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You really don't need to unless you're running over about an hour in hot weather as long as you drink enough water during the day.

^I agree with this.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I don't like carrying water with me but do when I'm on my long runs in really hot weather.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I agree - probably not necessary unless you're running for over an hour or it's very hot. Make sure you drink before and after and you should be fine for your C25K runs.
    Most of the info I've read lately says to be guided by thirst - drink if you're thirsty, otherwise you don't need to.
    I have a Nathan belt with a 600ml bottle that I carry on longer runs and that works well - it has a pocket for gels, keys etc too.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Because I run a lot during the summer in 90+ temps and high humidity, I do carry water, regardless of time or distance. I bought a water bottle that has a strap made for carrying while running. Trust me, if you ever get dizzy from dehydration you'll decide to be safe and bring some along! Even though I drink plenty in the hours leading up to a run, sometimes it isn't enough.

In mild to moderate temps though, I don't normally carry any.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    When I'm going for a long workout, I carry a Camelbak. It's comfortable and fairly sleek, and holds 1.5 liters of water. I don't use it in the winter as much, because I don't sweat or dehydrate as quickly. But in the summer - I sweat buckets and get really thirsty/dehydrated after about 45 minutes.
  • farabovepearls
    farabovepearls Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your body. When I did the Couch to 5k I had water on the longer runs because I felt that my body needed it. Now that I'm more conditioned I don't need water for a 5k run. I needed the water to help me cool down...but again that was just me. If you feel that you need it, take some...it's up to you.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    When it's hot or if I'm going over 5 miles, I like to carry seedless grapes in my pocket. It's like taking a sip of water, but more portable, and I can eat one while running. I can't drink and run without spilling half of it down my neck.

I do have a fanny pack with a water bottle that I sometimes use, too.
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I did C25K also and now run 3x a week. I always bring water--I'm thirsty when I finish running, which I generally follow by a 20 minute walk. I have a belt that holds a water bottle, and has a little pouch for keys or a phone. I find it works quite well.:flowerforyou:
  • Suz_w8loss
    Suz_w8loss Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    thanks such great comments. I am doing Couch to 5K and have not had the need for water thus far, so I think I will take the advise from all who have commented & keep moving along without it. I should be done by the end of this month. When the temps get hotter & if continue onto the bridge to 10K then I might consider carrying water. Thank you for all the replies - MFP is awesome !!!
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I was wondering the SAME thing!
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options

Not necessarily true. I would go through at least a 20 oz bottle of water on a 45 minute run in the Texas heat, more when I was running in Bahrain. That was in addition to the normal 60-90 oz I was drinking per day. It really depends on the person, how much you sweat, the humidity and temperature. I think its better to carry it and not need it than to find yourself thirsty and lightheaded in the middle of a run.

Carrying water can be a pain in the *kitten*, but is definitely something to consider.
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    When it's hot or if I'm going over 5 miles, I like to carry seedless grapes in my pocket. It's like taking a sip of water, but more portable, and I can eat one while running. I can't drink and run without spilling half of it down my neck.

Do you freeze the grapes?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options

Do you freeze the grapes?

I haven't, but I probably should... if for no reason other than it sometimes takes me a while to eat the whole bunch and they go bad in the fridge. :wink: