Bikram Yoga

Options
I'm trying Bikram yoga for the first time tonight, and i just wondered what others have experienced and any tips or anything. For those that don't know, Bikram yoga is 90 minutes, 26 postures repeated twice, in a room usually heated to 105 degrees. And again thanks for any input, thoughts, or feedback... Stay well :)

Replies

• Kiki91395
    Kiki91395 Posts: 10
    Options
    BUMP......ANYONE?
  • fearlesskcl
    fearlesskcl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I tried bikram yoga a couple of months ago when I purchased a 10 class pass on groupon. I have to admit that I absolutely hated my first class. It was so hot. I had the biggest headache in the world and I felt very weak afterwards. I think it was partly due to the fact that I didn't drink enough water before I went to the class.

I think if had not paid for a 10 class pass groupon that would definitely have been my first and last class. But because I didn't want to waste my money I tried again and this time with proper hydration I felt much better. I was able to do more of the poses because I knew what I was expecting and when I was close to the end of the class. I actually enjoyed it and kept going!

My advice is to hydrate very well all day (2 litres of water) and stop drinking water about 90mins before a class. Don't wear too much clothing. A pair of shorts and a top is fine. Also go as often as you can so that you really benefit from the practice.

Bikram is a great form of yoga. You really feel yourself getting stronger and more flexible. It gives you a great stretch and because of the heat you can push yourself more than your normally can.

Hope that helps and enjoy your class!!!
  • kayceep
    kayceep Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi I just did a search on "Bikram" to see what others thought...I am on day 2 of a 30 day pass and I felt the same way...tough the first one but today really enjoyed it. Also you don't feel like eating poorly afterwards because you feel so "purified" after all that hot workout.... and putting in fries after all that seems like a bad idea. I am going to keep going and see how I feel after 30days and hope to make it a habit! Let me know what you thought :):smile:
  • Cheeta_HH
    Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I just went to my first class a few days ago. (I also bought a 10-pass groupon.) The class that I went to was not strictly bikram but it was HOT!!! I have major issues in hot weather, so I worried that I would not feel well afterwards. I was pleasantly surprised! The heat felt good in contrast to the cold outside!

Don't forget your towel and stay hydrated!

Hope you enjoy it!
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I am going to my first class tonight!! Im so nervous, I don't know what to expect! Im glad someone else was wondering to :)
    Thanks for the imput, I will hydrate well before I go :)
  • allybay
    allybay Posts: 17
    Options
    I am going to my first class tonight!! Im so nervous, I don't know what to expect! Im glad someone else was wondering to :)
    Thanks for the imput, I will hydrate well before I go :)
    I actually have been flirting with bikram yoga for years now, I would like to do it everyday of my life but it is just so expensive...the first time I've done it, I felt my body getting tighter the first week. And the thought of passing out in class due to lack of hydration encouraged me to drink more water..if u can afford it keep doing it...it is so gratifying when you know you are doing the poses right...make sure that you are well hydrated, bring water or/and a drink with electrolytes (I like coconut water a lot) to drink during class..towels for ur mat and towels to wipe yourself with, and extra clothing...you will be soaked with your own sweat...and please breath breath breath..goodluck!
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have been going to Bikram yoga for about three months now, and I never took any water into the class with me. I just made sure to drink SO much water during the day that I was peeing like a race horse. I just concentrate on my breathing and that usually helps me overcome the woozy feeling you sometimes get when you're coming out of some of the floor poses.

If you need to take a break, there is NO shame in taking a moment to just sit on the ground. I hope that your yogi is a good one, and actually encourages first timers to do this, as it can be a bit overwhelming.

OH, and a LOT of people are half naked... ALL shapes and sizes. It's really nice to see people comfortable with their bodies. It's a very empowering class. I always leave feeling incredibly dirty, yet incredibly clean at the same time. You'll know what I mean after your first class :)
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    OH and another thing.... if you or the person next to you made some crappy dietary choices that day or the day before... you WILL know it hahahha! This may be TMI, but when I'm having a crappy dietary day, I can definitely tell a difference in the smell of my sweat during a Bikram session.
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    It was so awesome I loved it!!! Yes lots of water for sure and breathe breathe breathe :laugh:
  • Kiki91395
    Options
    I went to my first class on Monday, and at first i felt really nauseous at the beginning and could only do so many poses. I don't have anything negative to say about it, but I enjoyed the peace and quiet, and its really all about focusing on YOURSELF. I got a month unlimited pass for $29, and I'm definitely going back. I'm headed to my second class tonight, and now that I know what to expect I'll only improve. I hope you guys are enjoying it as much as I am. :)
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I do yoga, but am trying bikram tomorrow and look forward to it. With the strength training I think it will be such a great feeling/stretch so I will remember to drink lots of water and bring a towel (and to eat lightly) thanks to those suggestions and this post!
  • allybay
    Options
    I went to my first class on Monday, and at first i felt really nauseous at the beginning and could only do so many poses. I don't have anything negative to say about it, but I enjoyed the peace and quiet, and its really all about focusing on YOURSELF. I got a month unlimited pass for $29, and I'm definitely going back. I'm headed to my second class tonight, and now that I know what to expect I'll only improve. I hope you guys are enjoying it as much as I am. :)

Hey maybe bring a banana to snack on after class, and/or maybe even before. My yogi has a basket full of complimentary bananas by the register for those who are feeling weak after class.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    oh goodness I don't think I could do it. I hate being hot. I have a friend that did it (she used a groupon lol) and she hated it at first but grew to like it. So there's that.
  • Kiki91395
    Options

Hey maybe bring a banana to snack on after class, and/or maybe even before. My yogi has a basket full of complimentary bananas by the register for those who are feeling weak after class.

Yeah thanks, my second class was much easier, and I'm gonna start eating something small afterwards
  • Cheeta_HH
    Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I went to my second bikram class today. I have a feeling I'm going to have a hard time moving tomorrow, but I love it! Right now I'm only going once a week. I think I'm going to have to incorporate some of the moves throughout the week so my muscles aren't so sore!
  • Nymeria42
    Nymeria42 Posts: 21
    Options
    I LOVE it! I like how they have it hot in the room and you are just drenched in sweat. I always feel so refreshed and rejuvenated when I leave. The only problem I have is sometimes I have a hard time holding a pose just because I am so slippery with sweat LOL
  • fit4everyoung
    Options
    I am planning to do a month of Bikram when I reach closer to my goal. Great info and feedback!
  • allybay
    Options
    I LOVE it! I like how they have it hot in the room and you are just drenched in sweat. I always feel so refreshed and rejuvenated when I leave. The only problem I have is sometimes I have a hard time holding a pose just because I am so slippery with sweat LOL

I wear longs pants, it helps with the pose when you put both of your knees up to your chest and hug yourself tight...also, I've seen some people bring a couple of hand towels to help them hold a pose.