damn nuts!

Options
mcohan
mcohan Posts: 116 Member
so i thought i was being all healthy today at lunch...

for breakfast i had a luna granola bar and an apple a couple hours later
at lunch i went to a cafe and grabbed a garden salad (no dressing or cheese or anything ... just veggies) and then for protein i added about a handful of almonds (maybe about 1/2 cup)...

turns out that "healthy" salad was about 500 cal!! i love nuts because they give me protein (i am a vegetarian) but they have so many calories that i can never eat enough to be full.

any input would be great.....

Replies

• paulkj
    paulkj Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I thought that just a hand ful of almonds equaled 1 ounce which is about 167 calories.
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    one ounce of unsalted mixed nuts is 170 cals - that's about a quarter cup. 500 cals for lunch isn't all that bad - and a 30 brisk walk will give you back well over a third of those calories. Don't sweat the small stuff. I LOVE cold pintos, edamame, black beans or peas on my salad ~ good protien there too. And I always have cheese - everything in moderation...:happy:
  • naner
    naner Posts: 110
    Options
    I look at it this way Its better than eatting a bag of chips :laugh: I eat alot of nuts. I love them. I am a vegetarian 2.
  • kankan213
    kankan213 Posts: 105
    Options
    I am confused. How did the SALAD end up being 500 cal?
  • mcohan
    Options
    i guessed that the amount of nuts i put on was about 3 ounces...thats about 300-400 cal and then the salad its self was about 50 cal...
  • kankan213
    kankan213 Posts: 105
    Options
    Oh jees!
    Stay away from trail mix. Seriously, I have consumed over 2000 calories of trail mix in like one sitting. Very dangerous!
  • mcohan
    Options
    you are telling me! nuts are like my fave thing too even more than icecream or sweets...its a total bummer