Excercise advice for a /serious/ novice?

Options
I have a minimum of 2st 3lb to lose, hopefully a little more, but I can't afford a gym membership, and I know nothing about excercise.
I should stress, also, that "basic workout tapes" are too difficult for me. Not a thing I'm proud of, at 20.
I can't do a push-up. I can't do a half--push-up/lady push-up. I can't plank. I'm terrible at squats (I'm sure my technique is off), and I have literally zero stamina. Walking up a slightly steep hill makes me feel like I've run a marathon.
It's shameful, almost, and has made me very dubious about seeking advice.

I was never particularly strong, or muscular, and I don't mind that, but I don't even have a basic level of fitness.
It's like in Kung Fu Panda. "There is now a level zero."

I need to shift weight on/tone up three specific areas (and, obviously, everything in between. But these are the main things that I notice);
Thigh/bum/calf(ish)
Tummy/core
Arms(being able to carry my shopping would be nice, too. ¬_¬)

I also desperately need to fix this stamina situation.

I have very little patience for excercise. I hate how it makes me feel, and I never get the endorphine rush everyone talks about, so if there's a way I can exercise/tone and work on stamina (I thought of swimming, but I don't have the expendable income) without it really having that tedious "work-out" feel, I'd appreciate it.
To be honest, though, even tedious excercise I can do at home is better than nothing.

Thank you for your time.
:)

Replies

• squared16
    squared16 Posts: 41
    Options
    Hi! Everyone has to begin somewhere and I think the best way to get you going is just to start moving. Gym memberships are expensive but try doing a fast walk or jog around town or a park or something while listening to music. Something more intense would be running up and down stairs. Look up on youtube some fitness or instructional videos (for example Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred level 1 is on Youtube and there are loads of videos about how to do squats and crunches properly). Stamina will come with repetition of these simple exercises.

Other people really like fitness games on xbox/wii/ps3 but depending on your budget that could be out of the question. You could also try to find a fitness class (yoga/bootcamp/zumba) for cheap. There's also the fitness videos on Netflix streaming and while the selection isn't great the videos are kind of fun.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

I also desperately need to fix this stamina situation.

I have very little patience for excercise. I hate how it makes me feel, and I never get the endorphine rush everyone talks about, so if there's a way I can exercise/tone and work on stamina (I thought of swimming, but I don't have the expendable income) without it really having that tedious "work-out" feel, I'd appreciate it.
    To be honest, though, even tedious excercise I can do at home is better than nothing.

sorry but no. i know that's not what you want to hear, but in order to increase your fitness you eventually need to accept being comfortable with discomfort.

your basically saying you want the benefits of exercise but dont want to bother putting in the work. that's not how the exercise universe operates.

if things are too hard for you then you work up to doing then by pushing yourself a little more each time you work out. if you cant do a push then you start off doing them against a wall, then against a counter, then against a chair, then on the floor with bent knees, and then with straight legs.

same with squats. cant do 10? then today do 5. day after tomorrow do 7.. 2 days after that do 9, etc
    just because you cant do something now is no excuse to not start working towards being able to do it someday in the future
  • basslinewild
    basslinewild Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I would recommend Jillian Michaels Ripped In 30. It's challenging at first, but it gets easier over time, and you'll get great results!
  • CoconutCrumble
    Options
    sorry but no. i know that's not what you want to hear, but in order to increase your fitness you eventually need to accept being comfortable with discomfort.

your basically saying you want the benefits of exercise but dont want to bother putting in the work. that's not how the exercise universe operates.
    I think you may have misunderstood. I like putting in the work. I hate being bored.
    "Go do fifty sit-ups". I can do it, but I'll get so bored that I'll stop. I don't have the motivation to make myself do boring things for a long period of time.

I'm asking for exercise that might be fun, or interesting to do, if possible.

I also don't know /how/ to actually do a lot of the exercises people recommend. I don't know how to do it properly in order to work the right muscles.
    When I do squats, for example, my thighs aren't what gets worked. My calves do. Which I'm pretty sure is wrong. :/
    if things are too hard for you then you work up to doing then by pushing yourself a little more each time you work out. if you cant do a push then you start off doing them against a wall, then against a counter, then against a chair, then on the floor with bent knees, and then with straight legs.

same with squats. cant do 10? then today do 5. day after tomorrow do 7.. 2 days after that do 9, etc
    just because you cant do something now is no excuse to not start working towards being able to do it someday in the future

Yeah, I get that, the issue is starting. People who are capable, who help me sort out a sort of routine for myself, usually just assume that there is a basic level there.
    I /can't/ do squats. Not properly. Not a single one. I do them wrong, and work the wrong muscles. If I try to do it right, I fall. Fast.

That's sort of a large part of the problem.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Start * trying * to do things. Whether you think you can, or you think you can't... you're right.

Go walk for 5 minutes.
    Get down as far as you can into a squat. Hold it, and get up. Repeat every time you think about it.
    Can't do a pushup? Can't plank? Start. Get into the best position you can. When you fall down, get up. Dont' try to hold it, just try getting INTO the position.

Pick up a liter of water. Put it down. Pick it up. Put it down. Switch to the other arm. Next time, try 2 liters. Work up to 4 liters. Pick up, put down.

Turn on some LOUD music. Wiggle and groove through one song. Then rest. Tomorrow? Groove through one song, rest, and groove through the first minute of the next.

( What I think everyone is hearing is the " I can't. " in your message. You're right. You can't... yet. But the only way you WILL be able to is if you just.start.trying )
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I think you may have misunderstood. I like putting in the work. I hate being bored.
    "Go do fifty sit-ups". I can do it, but I'll get so bored that I'll stop. I don't have the motivation to make myself do boring things for a long period of time.

I'm asking for exercise that might be fun, or interesting to do, if possible.

I also don't know /how/ to actually do a lot of the exercises people recommend. I don't know how to do it properly in order to work the right muscles.
    When I do squats, for example, my thighs aren't what gets worked. My calves do. Which I'm pretty sure is wrong. :/
    I'm addressing both of these issues here, so I pushed your quotes together. :)

It seems to me that what you are looking for is something that's fun to do that will allow you to start slow and work your way up to more difficulty. I'd highly recommend something like Zumba. It's fun (dancing!) and it'll definitely help you start to build some stamina. You can start at a beginner level and then work your way up to the more challenging routines. You can look into Zumba classes in your area.

Or, if you fear making a fool of yourself in public, try doing it at home with videos. Alternatively, do you own a video game system such as a Wii or an Xbox with Kinect? Both of those systems have Zumba games which start you at with the very basics and then work you up to the more complex moves using points and rewards. Once you get more comfortable with the moves you could then look into classes which are bound to keep you more motivated.

Once you gain some stamina with Zumba, you can look into other new and more challenging fitness routines or exercises.
  • mschold
    mschold Posts: 6
    Options
    I get bored easily, too. And I just don't have time for the gym. I could do the workout, but I don't have the extra 30 minutes to an hour needed to get there, change, change again (or go home stinky), and get home. So I started working out at home with DVDs. An added benefit to working out at home is you don't have to do it in front of anyone else.

Most local libraries have DVDs that you can check out for free. Check out a few fitness DVDs that have different types of exercises and work out lengths. Set your alarm for 45 minutes before you usually get up or set aside 45 minutes at the end of the day and try the different DVDs. You will find one or two that your body "fits" with a certain type of movement -- something that feels more natural to you. I don't mean it will be easy or that you won't have to struggle -- but that you'll find something you want to do again. Then, if you like a style, you can get new DVDs in that style before you get bored. The instructors on the DVD should talk about form and how to do the moves properly. That will help a lot, too.

If taking a class motivates you, check out the YMCA or community center. You can often take a class for as little as $10, and most classes will let you take the first one for free, just to see if you like it. Try different things: yoga, zumba, kick-boxing, step aerobics, spin. something will feel right to you.

I started riding my bike regularly in September. It was the first real exercise I'd gotten in about 10 years. When it started to get too cold to ride regularly, I borrowed some DVDs from a friend then bought the 30-day shred for about $10. It was totally worth it! I've moved on to Extreme Shed and Shred. I'm actually starting to get bored with Jillian and looking for something new.
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I can't afford gym membership either, or find the time tbh, and I have been a couch potato for over a decade:(

I went with not doing the c25k = I looked up the programme online then adapted it to my situation (no mp3 player, no treadmill). I started with a slow stumble around the block - slightly less than 1/4kilometer - it took me 10 mins and I felt like I was dying a the end! but I added a tiny bit further each week - going out 4-5 days per week and now I'm up o 2 miles in 20 mins. Aiming for 3 in 30 eventually:) I go out early in the mornin, so hardly anyone sees me

I've also just started the 30DS dvd - very cheap on Amazon, & I can do it to the best of my ability without anyone else eing/commenting on how rubbish I am..... its only 20min workouts, which I just about survive.
  • angeleyes310
    Options
    I have alot of the same problems as you. What I have found that works for me (and might for you as well) is my sister is my new fitness buddy. We get together after work everyday at home and work out together, which motivates both of us because we have someone there to push us to actually do the exercises. The other thing that I have found that works is using my Wii to help me exercise. We normally start out with the Wii Fit Plus and do the yoga and things to stretch (and we laugh and joke around so there is no boredom) and then we either do some of the aerobic exercises on there or play one of the dancing games, such as Just Dance. We have also just turned the tv onto a good show and stood in front of it and did a light jog while watching a show, it works because once you get into the show you forget you are exercising and before you know it you've done a light jog for about 30 minutes. I hope that maybe some of this helps you and I wish you the best of luck. :)
  • CoconutCrumble
    Options
    Alright, there's been some pretty good ideas in this. ^^

I'll see how much I can improvise with what I have at home. I can't afford to take classes, or anything, but I might be able to stream some dvd classes on my laptop. If not... I'll have to think of something. xD

Thank you all for the advice. :)
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options

I'll see how much I can improvise with what I have at home. I can't afford to take classes, or anything, but I might be able to stream some dvd classes on my laptop. If not... I'll have to think of something. xD

There are also lots of FREE exercise DVDs at the public library, if you have access to one.
  • AEC50
    AEC50 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Check out the Leslie Sansone Walk at Home videos on YouTube. I play them on my phone while I watch something on TV and it just flies by. It's just walking in place, so it could be a great starting point for you.
  • jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    if you have anything around your house that would work as a step stool, plop it down in front of the tv and do your own "step aerobics" while watching television. You can either just do them during commercials, or push yourself to try for a whole show. I like exercising in front of the tv because it keeps my mind busy :)
  • Mmmporkrinds
    Options
    One free option which is bordering on the enjoyable, is Couch to 5 K - more info here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

One of the reasons I like Couch to 5 K is that it builds up over time - you start with easy stuff and then at the end can run 5K so it feels like you're making progress, which stops me from getting too bored (I focus on what I can do now that I couldn't do before, so it's kind of a psychological reward that keeps me interested).
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    You could try this "hundred push-ups" programme but don't do normal pushups or even half push-ups. Do wall push-ups instead. When you can do a good amount of wall push-ups, switch to leaning on the kitchen counter-top instead so you're at an angle and start the programme again. When you can do a good amount of them either use a lower (sturdy!) surface or do half push-ups on the ground. This will also help you to do planks in the longer term and help strengthen your core, chest, arms and back. There is also one for sit-ups and one for squats. No equipment or DVDs required :smile: A lot of women find push-ups hard but it doesn't mean you won't be able to do them one day. I know a few people who can, unfortunately I'm not one of them...yet! :happy:

http://hundredpushups.com/
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    Keep telling yourself you can't
    AND YOU WON't! Of course you can do a squat! Don't be foolish!

Pretend there is a chair under you, sit into your heels and put your as@ back. Do some jumping jacks. Skip some rope...MOST OF ALL STOP MAKING EXCUSES!!

YES YOU CAN:tongue:
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Don't let the title of this article fool you; it has very good advice for beginning to work out for someone who's very out of shape:

http://www.stumptuous.com/no-fat-chicks
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I can't do a push-up. I can't do a half--push-up/lady push-up. I can't plank. I'm terrible at squats (I'm sure my technique is off), and I have literally zero stamina. Walking up a slightly steep hill makes me feel like I've run a marathon.
    It's shameful, almost, and has made me very dubious about seeking advice.

There are work arounds for almost any fitness level. If modified (from knee) pushups are too difficult, start with wall pushups.
    2vlllz6.jpg
    The closer to the wall you are, the easier these will be. That means that by taking steps back you can increase the difficulty as your strength builds.

Similarly for squats, I recommend starting with a wall squat. If the balance and range of motion required in an air squat are too difficult at first, trying a wall squat to build up your strength and balance.
    24c798w.jpg
    The weights are optional. As you improve, you can also do these one-legged, alternating legs, or just add more time to your hold. Eventually you'll have moved on to air squats and, eventually, weighted squats. But all in good time.

As far as at-home bodyweight exercises go, pushups and squats are hard to beat so work them into your routine at whatever level you can manage. Try a DVD or youtube workout program as other have suggested and just allow yourself to pause and rest if you need it and to replace some of the moves with something that is challenging but still within your level. If you devote yourself to exercise at least 3 times per week you will see yourself progress at an astounding rate.

Best of luck to you!
  • LadyFleata
    LadyFleata Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    try the Wii out I use the Wii with balance board and the exerbeat gym class work out. I have CFS and cant move around alot but I find its exercises are easily tailored to what you need.
    It has a great range of exercises from standard aerobics, hip-hop, boxercise, latin dance to karate, tai-chi style forms and yoga/pilates.

well worth it as the wii is really cheap now and the game itself Exerbeat is now available for under £15.

you can make the work outs as short/long easy/hard as you want. the around the world thing is a bit rubbish so I ignore that bit and just focus on the video style work out where you dont need to use wii motes. just follow what the figure on the tv is doing.
  • emelou6
    emelou6 Posts: 9
    Options

I think someone already mentioned that you can borrow exercise DVDs from the library, you can also look on amazon or ebay and get them for $5 - $15. I just got a zumba game for my Wii, it is not quite as good as the classes, but it was ony $8 and it is fun! And if you don't want to / can't access those options I would just turn on the radio and dance... :drinker:

Walking, hiking and stair climbing are always great (free) options for cardio too.

Lots of great ideas from the folks in this thread. Just keep moving! Good luck!