Couch to 5K

Options
I am starting the Couch to 5K, tomorrow. I have not run more that 25 feet in the last 20 years. Do any of you have advice for me?

Replies

• aekermans
    aekermans Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Going to keep an eye on this thread. I actually just finished Day 1 in honor of hitting my first 10lbs lost mark today. For now I am doing it on my treadmill because, like you, I haven't ran either and want some privacy as I try it. :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I can't comment on the c25K program specifically but if you're getting back into running I would suggest the following:

1) Make sure you have the right type of shoe (stability, cushioning or motion control) that fits properly. You don't need to buy the most expensive shoe at the shop but, if you can, shop at a running specific store.
    2) Be patient with yourself, it may not feel like it but your body starts undergoing positive physiological changes from practically the first day. Set realistic goals in terms of progress, it's your body - listen to it.
    3) Be consistent, if your training plan calls for 3 or 4 workouts a week make sure you do them. If you need to repeat a week repeat the week.
    4) Take you rest days, they're just as important as training days.
    5) Cross train.

Your goal, if you sign up for a race, is to cross the finish line with a smile on your face. Good luck!
  • dboyes79
    dboyes79 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use the C25K program as does my husband! I love it however- I just got a middle ear infection so I have been out of the game for 1.5wks.... I'm hoping to pick week 3 run 2 up when my ear clears and I don't feel like I am walking around in circles!
  • frogman4591
    frogman4591 Posts: 135
    Options
    I was in the same boat as you. I can walk for miles, but run only a short distance. I did Week 8, Day 1 of the C25k program today. And yes, it is very do able. I am 57 years old and actually enjoying he running. I plan to do three races this summer. Just follow the program as laid out and reap the results. I used the app C25k Lite on my Android phone. It reminds me when I need to change from running to walking and back. That way I can put in a DVD and watch a movie instead of a clock.
  • cndslee
    cndslee Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for a few weeks now. Like you, I had not run in a long, long time. I am currently on W5 D1. When I started, I didn't think I could get through W1D1, but if you keep with it , it is worth it. I turned 50 last month and have signed up for my 1st ever 3K later this month! You have to remember to start slowly and listen to your body. You CAN do it!
  • angebrun
    angebrun Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'd agree with the shoe comment- I started the C25K and my arches were killing me! I went to the shoe store and it's made a world of difference!

I'd also say, personally, that what's "running" for others may not be running for you- I started by always picking 5 for run- the second week (90 seconds of running) I couldn't do it- I cut it down to 4.7 and it worked better for me. When the three minute run started I had to cut it back to 4.5.
  • boodlelibra
    boodlelibra Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I just started it - finished day 2 a few minutes ago. I would say STRETCH!! I am prone to shin splints and have a wonky ankle, which I have used for excuses to quit several times before. This time I'm using these stretches:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml

doing 1,2,3,5,7, and 12 and no shin splints to speak of. My 'run' is only 4.5 mph but I'm off my butt and tonight was a little easier than Saturday. It feels a little silly to stretch for almost as long as I work out, but I'm not in pain and (kind of) looking forward to hitting the treadmill Wednesday.
  • loves_jc
    loves_jc Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am going to run my frist offical 5k for Easter. I started just tring to very slowly jog and walking as far as I could. I have also used mapmyrun app on my for to track my time (very helpful) I now have a 16 pace my goal for the 5k is going to change since that was it. I have running buddies and we pray and use our scriptures to get us through. Please Let me know how you do would love to encourage you along your new journey.
  • thinktank32k
    Options
    I am on my second round ofc25k. I am on w7d1. My advice would b to take it slow. Slow and steady finishes c25k. The program builds you up to b able to handle 30 minutes by the end of the program. Shoes mega important as well as restdays. Plenty of water to avoid cramping and muscle discomfort. Have lots of people encouraging u. I told anyone who would listen about my milestones. Have funwith it yiu will be surprised out how far you will come in a few short weeks.
  • boodlelibra
    boodlelibra Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I do wish the program was added to the exercise database here - I've been counting it as 20 mins at 4 mph - my 'run' is about 4.5 and my walk is 3 mph.
  • Alma_Sana
    Alma_Sana Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Start slow and build up. Drink 2 bottles of water after each workout to flush out the acid build up in your muscles, so you don't get cramps or as sore later. Stretch good and believe in yourself! You got this :)
  • Cholbrook008
    Cholbrook008 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody for the responses. I will update after I have my first workout tomorrow.
  • michmill98
    Options
    I should be on W6D2 but since coming down with a major cold & cough last week, I haven't felt up to working out in the AM before work. I did try it the other morning but after 2 min of running I was coughing up such a storm that I had to stop before I face-planted on the treadmill! :tongue:

But like the others have said, it's a great program for non-runners to get used to running. The big thing I noticed is the shoes. I had a decent, but worn out pair of training sneakers and after 2-3 weeks my knees were killing me. I didn't go to a speciality running store but I did go to a sports store and tried on several pairs of shoes. Once I got new shoes the knee pain disappeared.

Don't feel like you're a failure if you have to repeat a week. Only you know when you're comfortable to move on to the next level. If I followed the program to the letter, I'd be done by now, but there were some days where I just didn't feel ready to move on to the next level so I'd repeat the previous workout one or two more times. Now that I've been laid up for a week, I'll probably go back a week or two and repeat those as I knew I wasn't quite ready to move on to the next day anyway.

Also don't feel like you have to "run/sprint". I usually walk at 3.5 to 4 and run at 4.5 to 5 depending on how I'm feeling that day. I'm not out to win the race - I just want to finish the darn thing! My plan is to repeat the program gradually increasing my speed each time thru as I build up endurance.
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I want to get into this but where can I get the app or program without having to Buy it. I don't have a credit card to buy the app and am Kind of Broke anyway
  • inchestopinch
    inchestopinch Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is my Week 7 Day 3 of c25k... At the beginning I had a very hard time running even the full minute without wanting to keel over. It does get so much easier! I am starting to love it and can't wait to compete in a few races later this summer!!
  • nakmom
    nakmom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I want to get into this but where can I get the app or program without having to Buy it. I don't have a credit card to buy the app and am Kind of Broke anyway

http://www.coolrunning.com/cgi-bin/moxiebin/bm_tools.cgi?print=181;s=2_3;site=1

I just did Week 1 Day 1 today. I've never been a runner, but want to give it a try.
  • shrdlicka23
    Options
    I just started Week 4 today. My background with running is this: in high school I was a sprinter. I could go really fast for a really short amount of time. I couldn't run a mile. I played volleyball, ran track and danced. Couldn't run a mile to save my life. Decided to try out c25k. I ran in 3 and 5 minute increments today. I was amazed! It works! I would suggest getting the "Get Running" app if you have an iPhone. Not only can you listen to your music and it will quiet your music when "Claire", your trainer, needs to speak but she keeps you motivated and tells you when to start and stop. It's $3 but it's well worth it. Oh, and go to a running store and have them fit you into a great pair of shoes. Good luck!

edited to add: go slow. I was so used to going full speed that I learned this quickly. Sometimes I feel like I'm barely going but that's ok!
  • JackieO39
    Options
    Walk or Run? Stay hydrated and I have found bananas are a great source of potassium before a walk or run. If you have not done a 5k and been sedentary you most likely will be sore after. If you are a Epsom Salt bath will definitely help afterwards. I recently gained a lot of weight because of a medical issue were I have not been able to workout in about a year. Just started up again and thank God for muscle memory. Also, I am sure you may have heard carbs are good for endurance. If it was me, for instance and it was morning I would have oatmeal with a 1/2 banana then 1/2 way through depending on how you are feeling have another 1/2 or full banana. Good luck to you and all the best.
  • kellz330
    kellz330 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just finished Week 6 Day 2 of C25K and I'm so glad I stuck with it. I did not repeat workouts but would take more than one day rest in between. My biggest piece of advice is to pump your arms like you are running during the walking bits. For me it helped keep my focus like I was still "pretend running" for the whole 30 min workout. Good luck!!
  • aoelmann
    aoelmann Posts: 6
    Options
    I have never in my life been a runner. I walked the mile in high school. Last fall I did a round of couch 2 5k. My run was only 4.5 and my walk 3.5. I was not even able to complete week 1 day 1 when I began. It actually took me 2 weeks to be able to complete it. I started with just 2 rounds of the running on day 1. Every other day I added another minute of the running until I was finally able to fully complete week 1 day 1. I stricktly stayed with running on the treadmill until about week 7. My friend then talked me into training outside (I was signed up for a 5k 2 weeks after I finished the program). I was for sure that my speed would be less than 4.5 when I would run outside because I struggled a good amount on the treadmill. It turned out that my speed actually increased when I ran outside. I ran about a 4.7 to 4.8 depending on weather, time or day, exhaustion, ect. It is hard but it is worth it. I was able to complete my 5k without stopping. I was not the fastest one that is for sure but I completed it without walking which was my goal. It is a great thing if you stick with it. My life got busy with finding a new job and relocating that I fell off the running wagon. I fully regret it and am not repeating couch 2 5k. I am currently on week 2 day 1 and completing it this time with my running pace being 5mph. You can do anything you put your mind too. I will also agree with everyone else that a good pair of shoes really do make the difference. Test them out before you buy them by jogging/running down a couple of aisles. The store workers are very use to it. Just because a shoe works for someone else does not mean it will work for you. Best of luck!