40 pound weight loss with pcos!

Options
I've recently discovered I have lost a total of 40 pounds since I started my weight loss journey 6 months ago. It feels really good and I'm proud to say I have also lost it all on my own. I have Pcos, which made it really difficult to lose any weight over the years. With good lifestyle changes and becoming more active I've done something I never thought I could before. I'm encouraged to continue my journey and I'm also happy I found MFP because it's really helping me keep track of my weight loss and motivating me to show more results. I started using MFP this month and I love it :)

Replies

• anfmusicgrl
    anfmusicgrl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    That is SO awesome congrats!!! PCOS definitely presents some hurdles and roadblocks with weight loss, but dedication and will power can overcome many things! I also have PCOS and have had success so far! Keep up the good work, and know that you are not alone out there! I'm hoping with more weight loss, maybe my PCOS symptoms will be a little less prominent in my life..aka (not so much weight gain around middle; no more lack of ovulation so I can have a child; etc)
  • LivieUlchabhan
    Options
    Thank you! I'm happy to know you're finding success as well in fighting pcos! I've experienced some changes to my pcos symptoms during my weight loss and I'm happy to report that it's still improving. Best of luck!
  • mandym74
    mandym74 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I too have pcos. I am hoping to lose some weight to help with symptoms. You are an inspiration. Thanks for posting...
  • LivieUlchabhan
    Options
    Thank you so much! If your interested you can see how I'm losing in my personal blog on my page. Good luck with the weight loss and keep in touch!
  • ronabelle1977
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing your story. I have PCOS as well and have joined this site to help with my fight to lose weight. It is encouraging to see that someone with the same situation is successful thus far.
  • pinkwizz
    pinkwizz Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Also have PCOS here too, just bought an Insulin resistance book and given up bread (lots less bloated now...)

Lost 5 pound in a month, but hoping however slowly I will see better results soon x

WELL DONE!!!!!
  • cannikita
    cannikita Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I also have PCOS and have found it difficult to lose throughout the years. It is always very inspiring to hear the success stories of others with PCOS.
  • renu74
    renu74 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    WTG!!! Keep up the good work!!. May I ask what PCOS stands for??
  • anfmusicgrl
    anfmusicgrl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    It stands for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. It's long to explain, so instead I'll just quote from an online source some of the symptoms, causes, etc.

source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001408/

"Polycystic ovary syndrome is a condition in which there is an imbalance of a woman's female sex hormones. This hormone imbalance may cause changes in the menstrual cycle, skin changes, small cysts in the ovaries, trouble getting pregnant, and other problems.

Causes, incidence, and risk factors

Female sex hormones include estrogen and progesterone, as well as hormones called androgens. Androgens, often called "male hormones," are also present in women, but in different amounts.

Hormones help regulate the normal development of eggs in the ovaries during each menstrual cycle. Polycystic ovary syndrome is related to an imbalance in these female sex hormones. Too much androgen hormone is made, along with changes in other hormone levels.

It is not completely understood why or how the changes in the hormone levels occur.

Follicles are sacs within the ovaries that contain eggs. Normally, one or more eggs are released during each menstrual cycle. This is called ovulation. In polycystic ovary syndrome, the eggs in these follicles do not mature and are not released from the ovaries. Instead, they can form very small cysts in the ovary.

These changes can contribute to infertility. The other symptoms of this disorder are due to the hormone imbalances.

Women are usually diagnosed when in their 20s or 30s, but polycystic ovary syndrome may also affect teenage girls. The symptoms often begin when a girl's periods start. Women with this disorder often have a mother or sister who has symptoms similar to those of polycystic ovary syndrome.

Symptoms

Changes in the menstrual cycle:

Absent periods, usually with a history of having one or more normal menstrual periods during puberty (secondary amenorrhea)

Irregular menstrual periods, which may be more or less frequent, and may range from very light to very heavy

Development of male sex characteristics (virilization):

Decreased breast size

Deepening of the voice

Enlargement of the *kitten*

Increased body hair on the chest, abdomen, and face, as well as around the nipples (called hirsutism)

Thinning of the hair on the head, called male-pattern baldness

Other skin changes:

Acne that gets worse

Dark or thick skin markings and creases around the armpits, groin, neck, and breasts due to insulin sensitivity

Signs and tests

During a pelvic examination, the health care provider may note an enlarged *kitten* (very rare finding) and enlarged ovaries.

Diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol are common findings, as are weight gain and obesity.

Weight, body mass index (BMI), and abdominal circumference are helpful in determining risk factors.

Levels of different hormones that may be tested include:

Estrogen levels

FSH levels

LH levels

Male hormone (testosterone) levels

17-ketosteroids

Other blood tests that may be done include:

Fasting glucose and other tests for glucose intolerance and insulin resistance

Lipid levels

Pregnancy test (serum HCG)

Prolactin levels

Thyroid function tests

Other tests may include:

Vaginal ultrasound to look at the ovaries

Pelvic laparoscopy to look more closely at, and possibly biopsy the ovaries

Treatment

Losing weight (which can be difficult) has been shown to help with diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. Even a weight loss of 5% of total body weight has been shown to help with the imbalance of hormones and also with infertility.

Medications used to treat the abnormal hormones and menstrual cycles of polycystic ovary syndrome include:

Birth control pills or progesterone pills, to help make menstrual cycles more regular

Metformin, a medication that increases the body's sensitivity to insulin, can improve the symptoms of PCOS and sometimes will cause the menstrual cycles to normalize. For some women, it can also help with weight loss.

LH-releasing hormone (LHRH) analogs

Treatment with clomiphene citrate causes the egg to mature and be released. Sometimes women need this or other fertility drugs to get pregnant.

Medications or other treatments for abnormal hair growth include:

Birth control pills. It may take several months to begin noticing a difference.

Anti-androgen medications, such as spironolactone and flutamide may be tried if birth control pills do not work.

Eflornithine cream may slow the growth of unwanted facial hair in women.

Hair removal using laser and nonlaser light sources damages individual hair follicles so they do not grow back. This can be expensive and multiple treatments are needed. Laser removal can be combined with other medicines and hormones.

Glucophage (Metformin), a medication that makes cells more sensitive to insulin, may help make ovulation and menstrual cycles more regular, prevent type 2 diabetes, and add to weight loss when a diet is followed.

Pelvic laparoscopy to remove a section of the ovary or drill holes in the ovaries is sometimes done to treat the absence of ovulation (anovulation) and infertility. The effects are temporary.
    Expectations (prognosis)

Women who have this condition can get pregnant with the right surgical or medical treatments. Pregnancies are usually normal.
    Complications

Increased risk of endometrial cancer

Infertility (early treatment of polycystic ovary disease can help prevent infertility or increase the chance of having a healthy pregnancy)

Obesity-related (BMI over 30 and waist circumferance greater than 35) conditions, such as high blood pressure, heart problems, and diabetes

Possible increased risk of breast cancer"
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    It's so nice to read this. I have PCOS and have struggled witht he weight gain that comes with it since I was 14. I am so happy for you and hearing that you were able to lose this weight over just 6 months is great motivation for me. Congratualtions on your great victory!
  • LivieUlchabhan
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing your story. I have PCOS as well and have joined this site to help with my fight to lose weight. It is encouraging to see that someone with the same situation is successful thus far.

You're welcome! Something I lacked when I first started to lose weight was encouragement and I really believe you can do it! I was told many years that I couldn't do anything about my weight, that I'd always be a big girl but I didn't let that stop me. Pcos makes it's a little difficult to lose but with the perfect plan fit for you and the removal of high glucose foods will help big time in the long run! Good luck with your success and stay in contact! You can add me here if you like! :)
  • LivieUlchabhan
    Options
    Also have PCOS here too, just bought an Insulin resistance book and given up bread (lots less bloated now...)

Lost 5 pound in a month, but hoping however slowly I will see better results soon x

WELL DONE!!!!!

Thank you! One of the best things you can do is give up the bread! I started eating high protein foods, vegetables, fruits and a little dairy. I also tried to drink as less juices or carbonated drinks as I could. I actually I only drank water, tea and coffee for awhile. Congratulations on the 5 lbs weight loss! The slower you lose the better for you! Keep up the excellent work and you can become my friend here for extra motivation if you like! Take care! xo
  • LivieUlchabhan
    Options
    Congrats! I also have PCOS and have found it difficult to lose throughout the years. It is always very inspiring to hear the success stories of others with PCOS.

It's inspiring to me to know that you're doing well and becoming successful as well! Thank you! Best of luck and keep up the amazing work! :) If you want you can add me as a friend here!
  • LivieUlchabhan
    Options
    WTG!!! Keep up the good work!!. May I ask what PCOS stands for??

Thank you!! Anfmusicgirl posted a great article on Pcos above :)
  • LivieUlchabhan
    Options
    It's so nice to read this. I have PCOS and have struggled witht he weight gain that comes with it since I was 14. I am so happy for you and hearing that you were able to lose this weight over just 6 months is great motivation for me. Congratualtions on your great victory!

Thank you so much! You can do it too! :) Keep in touch if you like! xo
  • dahvishont02
    dahvishont02 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I just found out that I have PCOS a few days ago. You are truly an inspiration.
  • Ashes51113
    Options
    I have PCOS as well. I've been hoping with weight loss that Ill begin to ovulate regularly (no more surprises). I have lost about 20 pounds in all so far and plan to continue. Glad to see there are others out there. Happy for you and congrats on your weight loss!
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Congradulations. I also have PCOS (been dealing with it since I was 17). I hope to soon have a story similar to yours =]
    I feel like there should be a group for those with PCOS
  • Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Congradulations. I also have PCOS (been dealing with it since I was 17). I hope to soon have a story similar to yours =]
    I feel like there should be a group for those with PCOS

There is. Check under groups for PCOS Cysters
  • emmabebi
    emmabebi Posts: 8
    Options
    wow! Congratulations. I have PCOS and trying to lose the weight has been a battle. But hearing you say its possible is very motivating. Hopefully, I can stay on the wagon long enough to do the same. I have 5 months to lose 40 lbs.
    Is there anyone else who has PCOS that can be a partner to help each other?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!